FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone PLEASE tell the Xmas-music Radio stations. . .

Author Topic: Someone PLEASE tell the Xmas-music Radio stations. . .
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . that there are more than 15 recorded Christmas songs in existence. Some of them actually weren't recorded by Mannheim Steamroller, or within the last 5 years.

I swear our local station plays the same hour's worth of song over and over and over again. Every time I switch to the station it's something I just heard last time I was on that station.

And if I hear one more song about kids on crack or taking a bullet at Christmas I'm gonna write a nasty letter. There's nothing wrong with a sobering moment amidst the joy, but every freakin' hour? Come on! [Grumble]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I might be the only one, but I get quite sick of the sentimentality of songs like Christmas Shoes. They don't touch my heart... they don't make me cry.

That particular song reminds me of that old shoe song from Wag the Dog.

But then, I also very quickly got tired of Butterfly Kisses, which is a much better song. I think I cried once, but mostly because I knew it was expected. After that one time, I was finished... but I'm not a daddy.. so...

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hear enough Mannheim Steamroller at Christmas time. When I do, it tends to be the same two or three tunes.

I do hear entirely too many songs from contemporary musicians' obligatory Christmas albums. These things are almost never any good. I want to tell the music industry that it is not a requirement for every new top-40 singer or band to release a Christmas album. It's just not.

I don't hear enough actual Christmas carols. I also don't hear enough "oldies". When they do play "oldies" it's almost always Burl Ives, who is okay, but there are so many other great ones. I want more Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, etc.

I was at Disneyland this past weekend, and they had quite a pleasant holiday music track playing the whole time. It was mostly instrumental, and not overbearing. (Their new Christmas parade, however, had the most obnoxious song -- totally not up to par with the song for their original parade.)

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

And can someone please tell the pop-artists that singing "Silent Night" as "SIIIiiiIIiiiiiiIIiiiiLent NeeeeeeieiiiiIIIIIIIIIIighghghghghghghghgtttttt!" adds nothing of value to the song itself and makes the artist sound desperate. Just because you can sing scales in the middle of every fifth word of an old favorite doesn't mean you should. And if you're so insecure in the quality of your own voice that you have to hide it in embellisments, maybe you should re-think the whole Christmas cover-song idea altogether.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No Celine Dion
And only Nat King Cole can sing "The Christmas Song" no one else.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
His Savageness
Member # 7428

- posted      Profile for His Savageness   Email His Savageness         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, do we really need to hear Jingle Bell Rock every half hour? I swear, our local station plays that stupid song EVERY HALF HOUR!
Posts: 194 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
How about listening to another station? [Razz]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:

And can someone please tell the pop-artists that singing "Silent Night" as "SIIIiiiIIiiiiiiIIiiiiLent NeeeeeeieiiiiIIIIIIIIIIighghghghghghghghgtttttt!" adds nothing of value to the song itself and makes the artist sound desperate.

YESSS. Although I think I'm just bitter because when they do that I can no longer sing along and sound decent.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
How about listening to another station?

Perhaps whoever drew Karl in the gift exchange can get him a radio with more than one station.

My radio never plays Christmas music. It tends to consider all things, instead.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, people still listen to the radio? How quaint.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
KarlEd, where we are 100.7 is the christmas music station. Don't know if that'll come in where you are, but it's worth a shot. We're not that far away.

Kira might know some other ones though. She's the resident christmas expert. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... we don't have a station that switches to holiday music... but we do have a talk radio station that plays old time radio drama version of A Christmas Carol.

I do have a favorite from decades ago.. Bing and Bowie singing the Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth duet...

That and the John Denver & Muppets [Wink]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Where are you Strider? I tuned to 100.7 on the way home. It came in loud and clear, but it was "classic rock". [Grumble]
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
While you're at it, you might want to tell them that Christmas isn't for another three weeks...

Just a thought.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm the type that starts "the season" on the Friday after Thanksgiving and continues it until the weekend after New Year's Day. (But my "end date" there is just my "no-later-than" date for taking down Christmas lights and decorations.)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I don't hear enough actual Christmas carols.

Most of these "all Christmas music, all the time" stations don't play actual carols. I don't know whether it's to avoid seeming too religious, or whether washed-up famous people tend to avoid carols when making half-assed albums of crappy standards.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christmas Shoes. I heard it for the first time this year, and wanted to vomit. My local station has a young Michael Jackson fetish. ::vomit smiley::
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always try an online station. (I don't know if their mix is actually any better, I just figured that more options had to be a good thing. Find a half-dozen of these, and you can switch around when one gets old! [Big Grin] )

I don't think I'm familiar with "Christmas Shoes."

quote:
But then, I also very quickly got tired of Butterfly Kisses, which is a much better song. I think I cried once, but mostly because I knew it was expected. After that one time, I was finished... but I'm not a daddy.. so...
I loathe this song, and will change the station if it comes on--or leave the room. But if you tie me down and force me to listen to it, it will make me cry. But then, I am a daddy. Of girls. So . . .

quote:
And can someone please tell the pop-artists that singing "Silent Night" as "SIIIiiiIIiiiiiiIIiiiiLent NeeeeeeieiiiiIIIIIIIIIIighghghghghghghghgtttttt!" adds nothing of value to the song itself and makes the artist sound desperate. Just because you can sing scales in the middle of every fifth word of an old favorite doesn't mean you should. And if you're so insecure in the quality of your own voice that you have to hide it in embellisments, maybe you should re-think the whole Christmas cover-song idea altogether.
ITA
quote:
I'm the type that starts "the season" on the Friday after Thanksgiving and continues it until the weekend after New Year's Day. (But my "end date" there is just my "no-later-than" date for taking down Christmas lights and decorations.)
[Frown]

Christmas season ends after the twelfth day of Christmas: January 6, or Epiphany. You shouldn't take down your stuff any sooner. [Razz] (Why doesn't anyone know about Epiphany in this country?)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, I do!

Christmas season starts Christmas Eve, and lasts until January 6th. Why does nobody [note exageration] celebrate Advent in this country? [Razz]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The station I listen to only plays Christmas songs every 15 minutes. I think that's enough to satisfy my craving but not so much that I get tired of the same songs.

I have heard some "carols" this year, though. There's a version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" out and the Proclaimers' "I Saw Three Ships." Kinda cool, if you ask me, especially with their Scottish accents.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I just heard Celine Dion mangle my favorite carol, "Oh, Holy Night."
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some real stunners on my computer. As in "ow, my brain just died" type stunners.

I keep them for anthropological interest under "bad Christmas music". Some such as N'Sync singing Oh Holy Night acapella, have no redeeming qualities at all, other than for humour. Others, like "I Believe" just have god-awfully cheesy lyrics. Others are both bad songs and sung badly and aren't worth mentioning.

Although I should add that I am surprisingly open minded about music at Christmas and so I can put up with more as long as it's got sleighbells in the background [Wink] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of advent, where on earth could I find an advent candle holder? My mom has a simple one that's a circle with four holders around the edge and one in the middle. That's what I want, so that I can make a pretty wreath to go around it.

I've looked in craft stores (Michael's and Joann's) and at the Walgreens Christmas section, and found nothing.

Maybe I should just make one completely from scratch. Advent's already half over this year anyhow [Frown]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I like those stations, especially when I'm driving distances by myself. Then I can sing loudly and poorly and STILL think I sound better than the radio - especially when I know I don't [Smile]

I rarely ever hear Manhattan Transfer (note: Mannheim Steamroller = devil music) on the radio, but their Christmas album is one of my favourites ever. That and the Beach Boys one. I just have a soft spot in my heart for the music of my youth.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
A coworker played a version of Adeste Fideles (O Come, All Ye Faithful) by Bing Crosby, that was a travesty. Bing was a great soulful and loungy crooner, bu Adeste Fideles is a fricking triumphal march of a carol! Double-time, Bing, double-frickin-time!!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I swear our local station plays the same hour's worth of song over and over and over again. Every time I switch to the station it's something I just heard last time I was on that station.
Funny, the stations in my town do exactly the same thing. With regular current music. All year round.

quote:
Just because you can sing scales in the middle of every fifth word of an old favorite doesn't mean you should.
Ditto for non-Christmas music, if you ask me.

quote:
And if you're so insecure in the quality of your own voice that you have to hide it in embellisments, maybe you should re-think the whole Christmas cover-song idea altogether.
Or the idea of having a career in music, for that matter.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No little drummer boy
Hate that song

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yeah. Verily.
Icarus
Member # 3162

::shakes fist at Synesthesia::
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Every Christmas album I like has the words "Time-Life" or "Chet Atkins" on the cover.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, we're not that close to KarlEd! Even just driving into Jersey got us other Xmas stations, and that's like a half hour away!

have you tried 104.5, Karl? I think that's out of Philly, so that might have a wider audience...

(ps we're in Bethlehem PA, btw [Smile] )

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

What's wrong with Mannheim Steamroller, by the way?

I absolutely love the album Mannheim Meets the Mouse.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No little drummer boy
Hate that song.

Used to. Got a soft spot for it though.

quote:
Go to Rivendell
Par rum pum pum pum
My father said to me
Par rum pum pum pum
I did not want to go
Par rum pum pum pum
Please let my brother go
Par rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum
My father's evil.
Par rum pum pum pum.
And really dumb.

I got on my horse
Par rum pum pum pum
And brought my round shield too
Par rum pum pum pum
I said to Faramir
Par rum pum pum pum
Remember today little brother
Par rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum
Ignored my father.
Par rum pum pum pum
He's really dumb.

*cough*
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my local christmas station. 100.3 WNIC. They play the same set of music every five hours, but that's enough so you won't hear the same song within the same hour at the very least.

I like a mix of classics, like the Chipmunks singing Christmas Don't Be Late and a mix of the newer songs, like Josh Groban "O Holy Night" and Barenaked Ladies with Sarah McLaughlin singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"

Too much Bing Crosby tends to annoy me though. That's maybe my only complaint.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, the only version of Little Drummer Boy that I like is the David Bowie/Bing Crosby duet. I tend to prefer more modern Christmas songs anyway, and for the most part I avoid the religious ones (yeah, I can hear you muttering, "um, Goody, LDB???").

My absolute most hated, sends me running and screaming in terror from the room, song is "Do You Hear What I Hear?". Any version, but Whitney's is the WORST!

And as for stations, I've got my XM radio next to me at the office and they have (I think) 6 stations that I'm bouncing between.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Need more Huron Carol!
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.