FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Game ideas for kids?

Author Topic: Game ideas for kids?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked my brother for Xmas gift ideas for his kids, and he suggested games.

The older one's not a problem, she's almost 8, but Sammy's only five-and-a-half, and I can't remember what sort of games I played at that age. (Candyland? Old Maid? They've already got those...)

So, o wise parents of Hatrack... any suggestions?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
-is neither a parent, nor wise-
Try Apples-to-Apples (I believe it comes in a Junior version) or Squint (There might not be a junior version, but it's more fun to make up your own anyway).
Apples is a game of matching things (people, animals, locations, fuzz) with adjectives- the winner of each round can be chosen by either which makes the most sense or which is funniest- judge's choice. The good thing about that is that the judgeship rotates with each game and it's all anonymous, so there're no unfair advantages.
Squint is like Pictionary, except with cards with shapes printed on them. There're cards to tell you what to make, but I prefer, as I said, to make my own.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah to Candyland.

One of our absolute faves is Monopoly Junior: Diggin Dinos.

Hmmm- Lego Creator.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and Memory!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We loved that African game where you move the beans/beads/counters from one little depression to another, object being to drop the most in the end things at those ages (my brother and I have about the same age difference.) What is that called?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mancala
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids learned chess at that age and checkers or connect four is good.

Mancala and Apples to Apples are great

My kids love Disney's Scene It and it's one we like to play with them.

My kids enjoy these learning games, Spell Down, Count Down and there is another 'down' one but I can't think of it right now.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Thanks, Tante.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Mancala seems very simple, and doesn't look all that interesting on paper. But man, as a little kid me and my friend would literally play that game for hours...it's tons of fun, I highly suggest it.
Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I second mancala, especially because there are versions where the pieces are little animals. Little kids love animals.

Guess Who, Sorry, Twister, Skip-Bo, Uno, Don't Wake Up Daddy, Connect Four, Checkers, Mastermind and Battleships were my sons' favorites at that age.

The games with the least set-up seemed to be played the most and, thus, were the most popular.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ho Cherry-O, Candy Land, Cooties, Dominoes (mostly for stacking at this age)and Hungry Hungry Hippos, were my favorites when I was young. I've heard the peanut butter and jelly game is popular, go fish, Uno, I'm sure there are a lot of card games...

http://www.boardgames.com/childrensgames.html

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played with a makshift mancala board made of an egg carton and some dried beans.

Although that might seem like a pretty cheap gift.

"Oh. An empty egg carton and some beans. Uh, thanks Uncle Plaid."

"But they are not just any beans. I traded a cow for these. They are magic beans. You can have hours of fun with these!"

And as soon as you are gone, out the window they go.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a version of that mancala game that I got in the Philippines when I was little, but there we play it with shells and it's called sungka. (I just googled for the spelling, and apparently it's also spelled "chunca" and "sumka".) At least, it sounds like the exact same game. I wonder how it ended up in both Africa and the Philippines?

But yes, I loved playing that when I was younger - it's actually still fun, if not especially intellectually stimulating.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
What about Family Fluxx,

http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/FamilyFluxx/

a 6--Adult version of the original Fluxx,

http://wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Fluxx/Fluxx.html

which is 8--Adult?

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Perfection as a kid. It is still available (which says a lot for its staying power) and is fun to play alone or with a partner. It does have lots of little tiny pieces so it is better for an eight year old than a five year old but they could both play it. Perfection on Amazon

I can't believe no one has mentioned Chutes and Ladders or Operation (also a Shrek edition ) or Twister.

Crocodile Dentist is fun too.

One challenge in buying games is that unless there is someone around who is willing to play (and sometimes 2-3 people are needed depending on the game), these sit on the shelf. Perfection, Operation and Crocodile Dentist can be played alone and still be challenging and fun.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Chess! Chess! Chess!

Oh and don't forget Risk... it's never too early to teach your children about world domination. Cultivate those dreams while they're still young and impressionable! [Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
By age 5 I was playing missile command and parachutes on my Apple + and by age 8 and 9 it was Bungie's Pathways into Darkness... one of the first FPS games right up there with Doom... yeah, I'm a weirdo.

But as for board games, I'd go with Twister. Activity is always so much more fun in a board game than just sitting moving peices around [Razz]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I've played with a makshift mancala board made of an egg carton and some dried beans.

That's what we played with until we were older! If the pieces got lost, no biggie.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
How about some of those Leapfrog Learning games?

They have some for every age and they are supposed to be educational and fun at the same time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Dress up clothes!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Uno!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dos!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids love Mancala but their favorite game is Carcassone. While the five and half might be a little young, he might be like my five year olds and just love watching others play it. It's neat the way the pieces line up to make a different board every time you play.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Trouble!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The aMAZEing Labyrinth is pretty fun for both kids and adults, and has a one-player version. It's rated 8 and above, but I've played it with a relatively mature 6-year-old with no problem. There's also a junior version, which is slightly simplified/shorter, and for ages 5 and up, but is suppose to be just as much fun for all.

I'll third Mancala.

I really loved Mouse Trap as a child, but we didn't really play it often... I'd just set up the board, turn the crank, and watch the ball roll around until the trap (hopefully) fell down on the unsuspecting mice.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy Eights.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
My little sister has been a fan of Rat-a-Tat Cat for years.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

There is a Labyrinth game with a metal ball you have to roll through a maze, is that the one? Oh my heavens, I was so addicted to that game when I was young!
http://www.toyscamp.net/ProductDetails.asp?productId=FY5381

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this in reply to my suggestion, Elizabeth? If so, that is not the game I was suggesting - the aMAZEing Labyrinth is a tile game from Germany (home of all great board games). Here are links to the original game and the junior edition
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
May I suggest Gamewright? (http://www.gamewright.com) They make games- mostly card games- for a variety of ages. Rat-A-Tat-Cat and Slamwich were particularly popular where I used to work.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My 7 year old and 5 year old love to play a watered down version of Carcasonne.

I was trying to teach them Settlers of Catan the other day, but I think that one might be a bit out of their reach yet.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I was addicted to that game, too! I can get it all the way to 60 and back multiple times now after a few practices. My family was always so jealous!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy is in fact a Labyrinth savant. It's really kind of freaky. If only neurosurgery involved rolling a little metal ball through someone's brain....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My son loves UNO, even though he can't read the cards. The fact that he gets to play with us is what makes it fun.

That and he tries to stack the deck.

Note to self, don't play poker with Sasha after he's grown up.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Christy, I want to try it now! It has been, um, thirty years! Do you think I still have it?

You know, just thinking about it now, I am addicted all over again.

plaid
Member # 2393

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now to run some of the ideas by the parents -- since they'll be stuck with the kids playing them for years... [Wink]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* Most of the time, we used UNO cards to build stuff. Highest pyramid we got was seven or nine floors, IIRC.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a girl Sammy I'd recommend Pretty Pretty Princess. Operaetta plays it with her stuffed animals all the time.

If it's a boy Sammy, well...I wouldn't buy it.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Nope, boy -- destructo-boy -- Sammy.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.