FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Age in dating

Author Topic: Age in dating
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a bit of a quandary I'd be grateful for the minds at Hatrack to help me out on.

I'm 17. I'm looking to go out with a guy who's older than me. He's 21, actually. Does this seem like too much of a gap?

If asked that myself, I'd normally say yes, it is. But I think well of him. He doesn't seem to have bad intentions, and he's been very good about taking things at a pace I prefer.

Opinions?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desta
Member # 8777

- posted      Profile for desta   Email desta         Edit/Delete Post 
In dating, I believe maturity level should play a larger role than age.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some formula, and I forget it, but I've seen it here before, it has something to do with halving your age and adding seven or something.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say after High School, the playing field (as far as age goes) levels out but not until then, are you out of High School? If so, then I'd go with the maturity level being the larger role.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not, and it is. I would say it's less your ages than where you guys probably are in life. Most 17 year olds are looking to get out of the house and test their limits. Most 21 year olds have already done this and are more bored with it.

But that's just a generalization, of course. Only you know what he's like.

Which brings me to the fact that I don't really understand why you are asking the forum whether you should date this guy. You know him. We don't. As long as you don't have sex with him before you're 18, the law doesn't care and neither should anyone else, it seems like to me.

Go have fun, be safe, and to hell with the world. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Age/2+7. If 21 and 17 is ok by that rule.

Generally, its not so much maturity, I think, as life experiences. He's probably had 3-4 years of college, and you are probably a senior in high school. He's probably lived on his own for a while, and you haven't. I didn't date a 17 year old girl I could have when I was 21 for precisely that reason.

But every relationship is different.

One thing to check are age of consent laws in your state.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I know under age of consent laws there certainly can't legally be any sex.

And I know he's had a lot more dealings with the world than I had. So yes, I expect a maturity gap in terms of the level of independence. I'm hoping I can deal with that.

You see, I'm nervous because my friends say it's not an issue, but frankly, I don't see their dating history as the best indicator. Just wanted to run it by some people to see if anyone would freak out for good reason.

Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One thing to check are age of consent laws in your state.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

K, that's all.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, first thing find out what the age of consent is in your state and make sure that both of you are willing to abide by them.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your gender?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that it greatly depends on maturity levels. Obviously you feel your maturity levels are at least somewhat compatible. In my personal opinion, if you are a mature 17, go for it. If he is an immature 21, don't. If its somewhere in between ... what the heck are you asking us for?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I'm a guy. I'm gay, and the boy's bi.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
And, by abide by them, might I suggest that until you pass the age of consent, you avoid situations that might tempt you to violate the law. It's really for his protection more than yours. And in most states, the law is less strict in cases where the underage person is JUST BARELY underage. But you might be the unlucky couple to get some hard-liner who would try to enforce the law to the strictest extent possible.

Also, is this a situation where you are dating without your parent's knowledge or consent. Hey, I know...sort of old fashioned, but ultimately, it's another layer of protection should the two of you get stopped and questioned.

If, by some ill fortune, you find yourselves in that situation, do NOT joke with the law enforcement officer.

Oh...and have fun on your date.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ok, I'm definately confusing you with a guy who's really conservative and wants to be in the military, right?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

Dr Strangelove: Yeah, I guess so. I've just royally screwed up with relationships too many times.

Personally, I've always held that at some points, it does come down to age, regardless of so-called maturity. So I feel kind of a hypocrite doing this.

Joldo
Member # 6991

Blacwolve: Yeah, I'd say so. Never expressed those sentiments myself.

Bob: Trust me, I plan to. I have friends who've been burned by age of consent laws (without even violating them) simply by disgruntled parents. I don't plan to violate those laws, and I plan to make sure I don't get someone else caught up in a predicament because of it. And yes, since my parents don't know I'm gay, this is without their knowledge. That's why I'm doubly careful.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ok, sorry, I was just really confused for a few minutes there.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason to be careful about the consent laws is that people are more likely to nail someone to the wall for violating the law in the case of two gay boys.

By the way, it's good to see you back again, Joldo. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm 17. I'm looking to go out with a guy who's older than me. He's 21, actually. Does this seem like too much of a gap?

IMO, yes. There will be a power imbalance that you will most likely not survive as a couple, especially given the inherent problems facing most gay/bi relationships among young men (and your own closeted status). I'd ask him to wait a year at least, and judge his worth based on his willingness to do so.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sort of leaning that way too, but wanted to see about the answers to some questions first.

Joldo, I can imagine some really BAD scenarios that could play out simply because you don't wait until after you are 18. I'm a born worrier, of course, but I think the chances of getting into a predicament given the homosexual nature of the relationship, and the suprise it would be to your parents, I seriously suggest waiting.

Can you go out in a group...of friends?

And can you "behave yourselves" in public...and avoid being alone privately?

And if he says it's his risk and he's willing to take it...etc., are you confident you could still say no? And have your "no" be final?

This is just sounding dicey to me, and only because you can't be open about it with your parents. If they knew already, I think there'd be less concern.

As it is, if the two of you are "caught," isn't it likely that your parents will jump to the conclusion that this adult man "corrupted" you? And, wouldn't they be likely to discount your protestations to the contrary as a misguided attempt to protect your abuser?

It ain't worth the risk.

How many months until your 18th birthday?

Or, what would it take to be open and honest with your parents?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

I've already talked to him and said I'd prefer to be in a group of friends when we go out. And I intend to still retain my virginity for a good while, which he also knows. Made sure things were clear on that score. If he can't respect that, the relationship probably isn't one I'll maintain.

Actually, I'm considering coming out to my parents this winter. That'll be something to look forward to.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.