FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is my egg nog bad? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is my egg nog bad?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bottle of egg nog I bought, I guess, without looking closely enough at the expiration date.

And then I never got around to drinking any of it last week.

So it expired on 12/9.

But a lot of times, dairy products are still good for a while after their expiration dates.

It looks fine.

It smells fine.

It tastes fine--good, actually.

When egg nog goes bad, can you smell it, or is all the sugar and stuff so overpowering that you can't tell?

Has anybody here ever had spoiled egg nog?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
We had spoiled nasty egg nog once, it looked different. And this was my birthday (January 20th) I'm sure we'd bought it before christmas. It was while my mom was working so much it became my dad's responsibility to clean out the fridge.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't drink it, but I'm overly paranoid about spoiled food. I've had food poisoning one too many times.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
. . . it became my dad's responsibility to clean out the fridge.
Along with your intestines . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't even opened it yet? It's totally fine. 12/9 was probably the sell-by date, not the consume-by date. We drink milk way older than that. Builds character. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I drank it, but I remember pouring it out in the woods because I didn't want to kill the drain.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it an actual expiration date, or a "sell by" date. Our milk has recently begun to use sell by dates instead of expiration dates.

But, considering it has eggs and milk (does it actually contain eggs?) if you can't tell if it's an expiration date or a sell by date, I'd go with the old standard "when in doubt, throw it out." You really can't go wrong with that one.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Egg nog is always bad.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I would drink it.
Just add a big shot of good rum, Ic, and that ought to take care of things.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I believe it's an expiration date.

quote:
You really can't go wrong with that one.
Well, other than throwing away something you spent a couple of bucks on . . . [Smile]
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, I do have some *very* good rum--the best in fact.

I was actually wondering if rum would serve to make it safer . . .

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Bacardi? [Wink]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't add TOO much rum. A friend once did that to our new year's eve egg nog, and it curdled it.

Of course we drank it anyway. College students, you know.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and drink it, then report back to us if there were any ill effects. [Big Grin]

Good luck.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Bacardi? [Wink]
*gag*

-o-

I was at Cor's job's holiday party the other night when I went to the bar to get a rum and coke. The guy asked me if I wanted Bacardi or the well rum . . .

o_O

"What the heck is your well rum?!"

He laughed . . .

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kwsni. Egg nog is always bad, ergo, yes, your egg nog is bad.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Have you tried every brand of egg nog out there?

Because there is a wide variety in the egg nogs sold in stores. Many of them are too thick, many are too sweet . . . and they even change from year to year within the same brand!

Every year I have to experiment a bit to find the best egg nog out there. This year, oddly enough, Publix's own brand seems reasonably good.

Of course, I can also make my own, but I don't know that it's worth the hassle, unless it's Christman Eve.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a neighborhood christmas party every year, and different neighbors are supposed to bring certain things every year. My one neighbor always brings egg nog, which we call "jet fuel" because it has so much alcohol in it. It's always really fun to see the parents get drunk on egg nog. Too bad I don't enjoy the taste.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I haven't, but I'm pretty repulsed by the tastes of all the egg nogs I've had in the past--even with copious amounts of rum, which is my favorite alcohol.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the taste of egg nog, but it's always too thick for me, no matter what brand I find. If I could find a way to thin it down a bit without significantly altering the taste, I think I'd be in heaven.

And in fact, I had the most scrumptious mistake last week. The little one and I went to Super Target to do some birthday gift shopping for her classmate, and they have a Starbucks in there. I'd been jonesing for peppermint cocoa, and she was getting jittery from lack of caloric intake, so we headed over. While one gal was taking my order, the barista asked if I'd like to try an egg nog latte. I'm not a coffee person, but hey, it was a freebie, right? Well, guess what she forgot to do? Put in the coffee! Yummy yummy yummy! She didn't even know she forgot until I replied to a comment she made about how it took her a little bit to get used to the coffee taste by telling her that I didn't taste any coffee at all... LOL Anyway, if I could figure out how she made that - was it regular egg nog and steamed milk maybe? - I'd be so on it year round!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll smell off when it goes off. Just like milk, but... spicier.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I really like the taste of egg nog, but it's always too thick for me, no matter what brand I find. If I could find a way to thin it down a bit without significantly altering the taste, I think I'd be in heaven.

Two ways:
1) Get soy nog. Seriously. It's quite good, and not nearly as thick.
2) Stir in some 2% milk in 1:5 proportions.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
1:5? 1 part milk to 5 parts egg nog? Or the reverse?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Soy nog. Hmm. I might like soy nog (considering the general love I have for soy milk).
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Well, I do have some *very* good rum--the best in fact.

I was actually wondering if rum would serve to make it safer . . .

I'm gonna pass on the eggnog discussion - I just want to know what rum you consider the best? I personally like Barbancourt and Flor de Caña quite a lot. As for Bacardi, while I certainly don't think it's anything spectacular, it tends to be my standby rum - it's generally inexpensive and found everywhere. Plus, it's so much better than Captain Morgans. *shudder*
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Havana Club 7 year Añejo

Not the stuff that Bacardi is starting to market under that name, either.

The genuine article. From Cuba.

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm eggnog!

If it looks/smells/tastes fine, drink it!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Eggnog that you buy is pasteurized, just like milk. The date should be the sell-by date, which means the store shouldn't be selling it after that date. It should still be good for up to two weeks after that, IIRC.

Some information and more information.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

hmm . . . regular milk sure ain't good for any two weeks after the expiration date. In fact, around here, it seems I'm lucky if it's good all the way up to the expiration date.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

"around here, it seems I'm lucky if it's good all the way up to the expiration date."

There's definitely something wrong with the Florida milk then. I thought I was just unlucky. The milk in my house rarely makes it 2 days past the sell-by date. One time it was yellow 2 days BEFORE the sell-by date. Blech.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Try it on your little brother. If he ends up puking for the next twenty-four hours, the eggnog was bad. If he's ok - you missed out on some good eggnog.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot, Becky, I was going to say something just like that.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

KoM - Unless he gives his brother/test subject the right amount where he'd puke if it was bad, but if it's good, there's still enough left for himself. I've had experience with this. *has 2 9-year old brothers*
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
hmm . . . regular milk sure ain't good for any two weeks after the expiration date. In fact, around here, it seems I'm lucky if it's good all the way up to the expiration date.

Have you checked your refrigerator's temperature? Even a few degrees can mean several days difference. Also, the door and the front of the fridge are warmer than the back, so storing your milk in the back of the fridge will keep it colder.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
That's me, ruining the funny since 1983.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kwsni:
Egg nog is always bad.

Ni!

Amen to that.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Temperature's good. We do keep the milk toward the front, but otherwise we might forget it's there! [Big Grin]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus,
Can I get the rum of which you speak up here in the north?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

In Canada, maybe.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anything get further north than Canada?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
The question is whether anyone is truly bad. Is wickedness something real? Maybe your eggnog is simply misunderstood. Maybe your eggnog simply does not belong to this sort of world. Consider the eggnog. Is it green?

Anyways, if you have bad eggnog, just give it a good spanking. That'll shape it up.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I should note my milk usually expires around the date printed on the carton. Not that it's a problem, as I go through a gallon every week, give or take a day.

I've actually been waiting to get some eggnog until next week, since there's a two week expiration date printed on the carton. Meaning, the date printed on carton is two weeks from today.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had soy nog. Contains no egg. Contains no nog.

This year, I see that they have Lactaid Eggnog. If there is one thing you don't want at your party, it is a bunch of drunken, lactose-intolerant folk stuffed full of too much eggnog.

I am lactose intolerant, myself. I actually have a zero-tolerance policy towards lactose. The kid complains that we can never have ice cream (except sometimes the Lactaid ice cream) or other milky treats. But I tell him that there are certain things that I just will not tolerate under my roof, and lactose is one of them.

Then I send him to the dictionary to look up "intolerant".

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Joldo

In my experience, egg nog separates when it is bad. Or maybe it is past the point of bad when that happens. I say if it smells and tastes ok, then it is ok. I drink milk after the expiration date if it passes that test.

HEB has a good diet egg nog that is not too thick. Yummy!

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
They have Lactaid EggNog now!?!?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

*Fondly remembers Mom's homemade (non-alcoholic!) eggnog*

(which we don't drink anymore because of the raw egg thing)

It tasted better than anything from the store. I think I vaguely remember reading somewhere about a way to make it safe to drink ... might have even been here ... ?

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ser Bronn Stone
Member # 8759

- posted      Profile for Ser Bronn Stone   Email Ser Bronn Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
No product sold should be bad if unopened just two days after the expiration date. But once you open dairy, you are on your own.

If it were bad, you'd know right away. Especially unadulterated.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Answered my own question

Rivka had the answer to my dilemma of making safe homemade eggnog. Now I'll have to try it. [Wink]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

i wonder if they have Eggbeaters nog.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Sugar Free, Fat Free, Cholesterol Free, Lactose Free...

Water Nog!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.