FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Top 10 movie battle scenes of all time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Top 10 movie battle scenes of all time
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
This article lists the top ten as follows:

10. Aliens
9. Princess Mononoke
8. Excalibur
7. The Matrix Revolutions
6. The Empire Strikes Back (Empirial walkers scene)
5. Alexander Nevsky
4. Gettysburg
3. Kingdom of Heaven
2. Zulu
1. Return of the King

What do you think? Any movies that should have made the list but didn't? Any that shouldn't have been on it but were?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
I know they probably don't want two Lord of the Rings movies on the list, but the Battle of Helms Deep from Two Towers should make it. And to make room for it, I would remove either the Matrix Revolutions or Kingdom of Heaven. Both were bad movies overall and don't belong on any top 10 lists but, more importantly, the battles scenes in them were not that great.

Also, what about Braveheart?

Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a scene in Ran that should be on the list.

Near the top.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I agree with your removals. Last Samurai had better battles than 8, 7, and 3.

And I might put Zulu at the top of the list.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. The part in Revolutions where all the robot squids come streaming in was extremely cool for me.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
It has to be a real battle? I loved the sword fight in The Princess Bride Doesn't get much better than that!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

Ran is a good addition. Kurosawa films have not been seen by enough people to be appreciated. I, unfortunately, have not seen Zulu.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I agree. I think I might put Zulu at the top too.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Patton. And though I hated Saving Private Ryan, I think the battle scenes were done well.

Excaliber, though!?!? Please. I liked the movie, but the battle scenes were not all that well done.

And the Matrix karate fight scenes were all well done, as were the fights invovling the ships, but the Zion battle was laugh-out-loud stupid.
Seriously, you have killer robots that aren't armed fighting humaniform tanks that don't have even a sheet of paper defending the operator. The complete lack of any strategic or tactical sense in the Zion battle pretty much erased any respect I had for the other battles.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I don't know. The part in Revolutions where all the robot squids come streaming in was extremely cool for me.
I couldnt help hearing the "challenging stage" music from Galaga everytime a swarm of squids came out of the hole.

Too much. Zulu is so good because the survival against the overwhelming odds is believable. In Revolutions, it wasn't. At least to me.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

Also, wasn't there a really well done Normandy scene in a movie I didn't watch a few years back? Saving Private Ryan or something?
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
The ones that popped to mind instantly were Two Towers, Braveheart, and Alexander Nevsky. So you guys are way ahead of me. I'm not sure I agree with Return of the King being number 1.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

The first battle scene, storming of Normandy, in Saving Private Ryan was good. The subsequent scenes became too Hollywood, little outnumbered guys stand up to the big guys, for me.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Ack, I'm too slow!
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a couple things come to mind reading the list. I think that the opening battle from Gladiator definitely deserves to be on the list, the lobby fight scene in the Matrix was better than anything in reloaded, and I'd say that Zulu was overrated. Other than that, I either agree with the choices or haven't seen the movie.

Edit:
Somehow I forgot about Saving Private Ryan. The beach landing was very well done and probably deserves a place on the list.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Aerto, I agree, which is why I didn't like Private Ryan. But that first scene is well done.

One of the aspects I liked in the other battles was that it accurately portrayed the importance of movement. If you'll note, the US sniper only hit people who were sitting still, he missed the guys who were running. But, yeah, way too much Hollywood after that first scene.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I might add Taps. And I'd change Matrix Revolutions to Matrix. A million Smiths was cool-ish, but there's nothing like the original.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the Matrix Revolutions battle scene with the robots. There was one in Reloaded that I liked a lot better, but I forget what actually happens in it.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How many combatants have to be in it before it's a "battle?"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to the Battle of Agincourt in Henry V (Branagh, not Olivier).

Also, rather than Return of the King they should use the battle of the five armies from the Hobbit. All those elf dots and dwarf dots moving around and the Eagle dots swooping down and picking up orc dots and dropping them, and the dust cloud. Oh wait, they mean the live action one, not the cartoon. Nevermind. [Wink]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I remember thinking the battle of Agincourt was excellent too, SenojRetep.
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
The Battle of Gaugamela in Alexander?
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to give a HUGE thumbs down to that scene in Revolutions. Its one of my least favorite battle scenes ever. I was actually quite bored. I could go into all the different reasons I thought that battle was stupid, but I don't see any reason to. Sorry Ruth.

I love the movie Aliens, but which scene are you referring to? Theres the one where the marines get creamed in the beginning. Then there's the extended retreat scene where the marines are trying to hold the Aliens back. Then two fight scenes with Ripley versus the Queen, but I don't think those would be considered "battle" scenes.

I haven't seen 9, 8, 5, 3, or 2, but the rest I would agree with. I would put the battle of Helms Deep on there above the battle in RotK, but that's just me.

I think the Battle of Sterling from Braveheart is probably near the top of my list (even if it wasn't accurate to history, especially since it was the "Battle of Sterling Bridge" in real life, and there was no bridge in the movie). I agree with others that the battle in Saving Private Ryan was a good scene.

Recently, I was pleasantly surprised with the battle scene in the Narnia movie, but I don't think it would make the list.

There's more, but none are coming to me...

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I was extremely suprised Braveheart wasn't on there. And I would tie ROTK and Helms Deep battles. ROTK was pretty freaking awesome I thought, but then so was Helms Deep. And that's pretty much all I feel qualified to comment on.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention Henry V, but I see it's already been mentioned. And seconded.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Helm's Deep should be on there for sure if Minas Tirith is.

Gettysburg should be higher. Glory should be on there too. Glory had some fantastic battle scenes, especially the one at the end.

Braveheart I agree with too. If we're talking INDIVIDUAL scenes from movies though, Gettysburg would have to be on there like three times. The Battle of Little Round top is for me one of the best battle scenes in film, but you'd also have to include Pickett's Charge. The Battle of Stirling in Braveheart, Battle of Helm's Deep in Two Towers, Battle of Minas Tirith in ROTK, and really the Battle of Dagor-Lad in Fellowship was pretty sweet too.

If we're including Sci Fi type battles, I would consider the space battle in Revenge of the Sith, and the battle in The Last Starfighter. Even the battle against the Death Star in A New Hope, but I'd separate space battles from ground battles, they operate on different plains of existance, literally.

The battle in Kingdom of Heaven wasn't bad, but I don't know if it should make the list.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Revenge of the Sith, anyone? [Wink]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerto
Member # 8810

L.A. Confidential was a great movie until it got to the final shoot-out scene, which was simply too Hollywood and too convenient of a way to wrap up the story. Even then, if they had actually killed Bud White after he was shoot multiple times, the ending could have been salvaged. As it is, I love the movie, as long as I stop watching it before Exley shakes hands with White at the end.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Revenge of the Sith would win a couple awards for "Best Duels" if such a list were ever compiled.

Were such a list compiled, I think Star Wars would probably take up half of it.

::creates Duel thread::

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's rather dated, but the battle scene from Gunga Din was pretty incredible for its time.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the battles from Saving Private Ryan

Any of the battles from We Were Soldiers

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
The final episode of Reboot season three!

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Helm's Deep should be added and not only should Zulu not be number one, but I think it should be off the list altoghter. If that was an accurate depiction of the Battle of Rorke's Drift then frankly the Zulus were just plain dumb. They foolishly allowed the British to use their range by sending small wave after small which allowed the defenders to defeat each wave individually and reload their weapons in between. The obvious and logical move would be to send in one massive wave during which the long range British rifles would only be able to be used once. Besides, as far as I'm concerned the good guys lost and they shouldn't have.

Also, while not as bloody as Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day may very well have been the best overall depiction of D-Day.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

There were decent Battle scenes in both Troy and King Arthur, but after awhile they seriously all run together.

And I totally forgot about Gladiator, there were some great scenes from that.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Both the Wesley/Inigo fight on the mountain and the Inigo/Ruger fight in the dining hall!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
The scenes with Riddick from Pitch Black against the monster alien things get a vote from me. Does that count as a battle? They sure are intense, especially in the movie theater (home video just doesn't compare).
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek II in the nebula! Ok, it isn't so cool now, but it was pretty cool when it came out.

Matrix II's freeway battle was really cool. Don't know if it qualifies though. What are the battles judged by? Size? Intensity? Suspense?

I really liked Return of the Jedi's space battle.

Ran was cool. Seven Samuri too. Every Jackie Chan movie should be on the list (ok, except a lot of the stupid American ones).

I know I'm forgetting something.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Call me a crazy fanboy, but the final battle in Serenity was fantastic. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but the feeling I had watching that battle the first time... well, I can't think of many movie experiences that made me feel that way. If you've seen the film I'm pretty sure you'll know what I mean.

I would also rate Helm's Deep higher than Minas Tirith... And now I'm getting sleepy, time for bed.

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody likes the two big battle scenes from "Saving Private Ryan?"
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Danny the Dog has some of the most honest, visceral fight scenes I've ever seen.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Best battle scene? There was a movie made in Britain with Dustin Hoffman that had an assault on his home by a group of thugs. It was taken from a book with a title of something like "Assault on Trench's Farm," or something like that. I can't remember it, but I DO remember the final "battle" as he defends the simple farmhouse.

Also, I saw a loser of a cop movie on video a short while ago about a NYPD station house that is closing on 1 January. There is a skeleton crew on New Year's Eve who gets "hit" by a group trying to free a prisoner. It was a pretty interesting "battle." I believe that it was called "Assualt on Precient 13."

For all out length, in a comedic vein no less, try the very long battles at the end of the first two "Trinity" movies. In #1, the battle of the "Mormons" against the Major's hired henchmen was as long as it was funny. In #2, the battle of the Catholic priests against the gun runners was the same. Not very artistic, I agree, but still quite a "battle."

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
The shootout at the end of Open Range was amazing.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know on what planet Braveheart doesn't make that sort of list. If we're talking large numbers of people fighting other large numbers of people, that is.

I really don't see Revolutions as having a good battle scene...the walkers were simply ridiculous. And the order of battle was absurd as well. The squids could've just swarmed the walkers, gotten right on top of them, and gutted the drivers easily with one of their near-ubiquitous tentacles. Instead of all that aimless flying around crap.

We Were Soldiers should definitely make that list. Some stuff from Spartacus, most especially the breakout from the gladiator school/prison.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the battle at the end of 13th warrior.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
First off I think you need to qualify some of the scenes by putting them into categories.

Category 1: Individual fights

This category would involve those fights which are too small to be considered a battle.

Category 2: Battles, Modern.

Frankly there are so many cool battle scenes out there that I think that you should have a seperate topic for sci-fi/contemporary battles.

Category 3: Battles, Medieval.

Battles from movies like Braveheart, Lord of the Rings.

Category 4: Anime, Cartoon

Non live action battles, like Princess Mononoke

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NinjaBirdman:
Call me a crazy fanboy, but the final battle in Serenity was fantastic

That is what I was forgetting! Yeah, that one!

Also, Tora Tora Tora.

I think in addition to categories, you have to state what the battle is being judged by.
* Length (the longer it is and still hold intereest the better).
* Intensity (are your knuckles white afterwards?).
* Size (is it a huge army or small groups of individuals--this is more of a category to me though)
* Tactical (is it just hack and slash, or is there real cunning and suprises involved)
* Sci-Fi/Fantasy factor (is there the coolest magic or coolest machines involved--this is probably a category item too)

I didn't like the Matrix III battle because it lacked tactics and the length seemed to go forever and it lost interest, and thus lost intensity. Towards the end, who cared who won or lost. The way it ended was kind of a dissapointment too. And when I watched it, I was really trying to like it. It was a while before I admitted it was poorly done.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
My nominees

Category 1:

Wesley vs. Inigo - Princess Bride
Obi Wan vs. Anakin - Star Wars Revenge of the Sith
Qui Gon & Obi Wan vs. Darth Maul - Star Wars the Phantom Menace
Tom Cruise vs. Nameless Thugs - Last Samurai
Boromir vs. Uruk Hai - Fellowship of the Ring
Aragorn Legolas Gimli vs. Uruk Hai - Fellowship of the Ring
Cool guy vs. Cool guy - Hero
Cool guy vs. Cool girl - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Jedi Death Scenes - Revenge of the Sith
Indianna Jones vs. Sword guy - Raiders of the Lost Ark

Category 2:

Pearl Harbor (Hated the Movie overall, liked their portrayal of the battle)
D-Day - Saving Private Ryan
Pickett's Charge - Gettysburg
Collisseum Fight - Attack of the Clones
Siege of Coruscant - Opening Scene Revenge of the Sith
Black Hawk Down
Almost any Fight - Band of Brothers

Category 3:

Helm's Deep - The two Towers
Minas Tirith - Return of the King
Braveheart Charge - Braveheart
Attack on the Camp - First Knight
Battle of Agincourt - Henry V (Branaugh)
Death of the Samurai - Last Samurai

Category 4:

Princess Mononoke
Rurouni Kenshin

EDIT: added pearl Harbor

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
The final battle in "Serenity" was better than anything "Revenge of the Sith" had to offer. The graphics were slightly less purty, but the pacing and direction were undeniably superior. I was *scared* when Serenity flew through the Alliance fleet... the big space battle in "Revenge of the Sith" actually got boring after a while.

Don't get me going on the duels in "Revenge of the Sith." Those were boring from the start. As far as I'm concerned, the Luke-vs-Vader fights in the original trilogy, plus the Darth Maul fight in "Phantom Menace," are the pinnacle of Star Wars lightsaber battles.

Another vote for the Normandy beach landing in "Saving Private Ryan."

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

- posted December 14, 2005 07:59 PM Profile for newfoundlogic Email newfoundlogic Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Helm's Deep should be added and not only should Zulu not be number one, but I think it should be off the list altoghter. If that was an accurate depiction of the Battle of Rorke's Drift then frankly the Zulus were just plain dumb. They foolishly allowed the British to use their range by sending small wave after small which allowed the defenders to defeat each wave individually and reload their weapons in between. The obvious and logical move would be to send in one massive wave during which the long range British rifles would only be able to be used once. Besides, as far as I'm concerned the good guys lost and they shouldn't have.

Zulu is an accurate portrayal of the battle of Rorkes Drift, believe it or not. I did some research on it and apparently that's pretty much what the Zulu's did. I imagine there was some reason for it, cultural or tatical, but I'm not sure what it might have been.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think if the focus of the Revenge of the Sith battle had been different, it would have been better than the Serenity battle. You got a LOT more wide shots of the fight in Serenity, whereas the RotS battle was focused almost entirely on two individual fighter pilots.

I have to say though, the one shot in RotS where the starfighter was hit, exploded, and then time stopped and the picture was rotated 180 degrees while time resumed was friggin awesome, and is one of the better shots I think I've ever seen in a sci fi movie.

I also really liked the fight at the end of 13th Warrior.

Following Zarex's guide, I would add much of the battle scenes from Midway, and a ton of fights from Gundam Wing and G Gundam (which is a series about people who do nothing but duel one on one basically).

And Tarrsk, oy. I can follow you a bit on the lightsaber battles in Ep II, and some of Ep III, but the Obiwan vs Anakin fight was ANYTHING but boring. It was so charged with emotion and energy, I don't see how you could posssibly call it boring.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.