FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity #1, easter egg, props, more (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Serenity #1, easter egg, props, more
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly is at #5 right now on Amazon, Serenity is #1
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Best Buy didn't have a display, either. They did have a small stack of the DVDs on their "new items" table, right next to a stack of Firefly DVDs. And people were grabbing them...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Walmart had the Serenity display in the back of electronics, behind the used video games.

But they were selling pretty well, from the looks of it. I bought two copies, but I haven't watched it yet.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still smiling at the big, gaping, OBVIOUS space where the Serenity DVDs should have been at my local Best Buy. The shelf was kind of messy like people had been grabbing them and running to the front of the store to pay.

I didn't see them featured in a New Releases section, but I didn't really look for that.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between wide screen version and full screen? I have a 19 inch tv, which version should I get?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Get the widescreen. Joss shot for a wide movie screen and used all of it, from what I've heard the fullscreen version chops a lot off.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say always go with widescreen no matter what. Fullscreen chops off the sides so you never get to see the whole picture like you did in the movie theater.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
NO INSERT?! [Frown] I love inserts. I just took it out and stared at it-that's it? LOTR's was the best.

Xavier and I will be watching it tonight while enjoying some pizza.

No one was really going for it at BB. There was this one guy that saw me with Serenity and he was kind enough to tell me that Nebraska Furniture Mart had it for $1 cheaper. He was wrong. It was nearly $6 cheaper. Wow.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie and I watched it last night. Kick ass.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd forgotten how amazing this movie was.

I watched the first 30 minutes on my lunch break today.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just puzzled that a place called "Nebraska Furniture Mart" would carry DVDs.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was confused about that too Noemon, when I first moved here. But its this giant store in the middle of Omaha, with two connected buildings (and a McDonalds in between). One building houses the furniture, and the other one is full of electronics.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I got and watched it last night. Was it just me, or did it seem really long?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Just you.

Never mind, I answered my own question by reading the whole thread. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Very strange Xavier, very strange.

You know, I hadn't realized that you and Val were in Omaha. Next time I head to Kansas would you guys be interested in getting together? I could make a detour and swing through NE, or you guys could come down to Lawrence, either one.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my co-workers (the same guy who recently admitted watching "Firefly" for the first time) asked me if I was responsible for the little package left in his car. He was holding a "Serenity" DVD. Apparently someone bought and wrapped it and left it in his car. (It wasn't me.)

I was like, "Heck, no! I can't even afford that right now!" (thinking, "you lucky dog")

So, I'll maybe get it for my birthday ... Jan. 10 if anyone is interested. (Hint) [Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

We'll take you out for some Runza. [Wink]
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
My copy arrived yesterday. I immediately wrapped it and put it under the tree, because otherwise I might succomb to temptation and watch it before my husband has finished the series. He liked the way I labeled it:

To: Paul and Mel

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Well, I finally found the limit of my obsession. Props from the movie are on sale at www.propstore.com and I wasn't even tempted to buy the Operative's sword ($2000) or River's goggles ($1600).

Although they do take payments...

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Serenity movie was very good. I never even heard of Firefly before this year, when a friend of mine told me about it, and I began watching it on the SciFi channel. I think that the original TV series failed because of the name. No one connected the name to what the series was really all about, so most of the people who would have liked it never even tuned in.

I listened to the commentary too. It was passable, but no where comparable to the commentaries with the Peter Jackson The Lord of the Rings DVDs. Of course, that set the standard for everything.

Watching the outtakes, I was a little disappointed at how foul-mouthed so many of the actors were on the set. It seems every sentence had the F-word.

Minor spoilers follow:

Nonetheless, I would like to see a sequel to the movie. These are interesting characters, even with a couple of them killed off. (OK, minor spoiler there--but I won't say which characters were killed off.) I liked the producer's explanation that he killed off the characters just to play with viewers' minds and make them suspect for a time that he was making one of those movies where all the characters get killed off.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Didn't you know? The F-word is funny. As is seeing our favorite actors saying them in frustration.
Narnia
Member # 1071

I saw where Serenity was supposed to be at Target today...big empty space instead.

[Big Grin] (There were a few left for PSP though, the first time I'd seen them.)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

Serenity is like 16 bucks and the LOTR DVDs are like 70.

'Cause they have to pay top dollar to all those elves. Yeah, they are probably unionized.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

And for no reason other than I feel like pointing it out, they're $45
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity is still #1, and Firefly is now up to #4!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

I got Serenity in my Christmas stocking!!!!

(Sadly, our DVD player is on the fritz... gotta wait until Dec. 26th for a new one).

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Look what I found at Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday!! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13636958&

I bought two of them, they were right by the exit AFTER you've already paid for your stuff. I had to go back in and buy them and now I have one on my wall! [Smile] They have nothing to do with Firefly, but I love that the font is almost exactly like the one on the movie poster and the symbol is of course the same.

[Big Grin]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

USA Today interview with Joss

Money quote:

quote:
What's the best-case scenario for the future of the Firefly/Serenity franchise?

The best-case scenario is that the DVD is such a spectacular, monster hit that we get to make another movie. Then, we get to make another movie. After three movies, we're all very tired. After Serenity: Revolutions, we feel like we've played it out. And then we make another series.

But, you know, we'll never make Firefly again, because that was a thing that existed and is now gone. And Serenity isn't Firefly, and whatever comes next won't be, either. But I would love to tell more stories of this universe and to hang out with these people on and off for the rest of my career.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
bought it today from best buy.

wow.

wow.

wow.

--j_k

[and, as another note, there were two copies left when I got there.]

[ December 23, 2005, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like how Joss has his mind set on the fact that the Firefly series is definitely over. I just don't see why he couldn't easily have it revived if the sales called for it (I think they already have). Theres no reason it has to be over as a TV show...
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I think he's being realistic.
kojabu
Member # 8042

I was at the enemy (Wal-Mart) and they had Serenity Widescreen, Serenity Full Screen, and the Serenity/Hulk combo pack. Why must they package Serenity with Hulk? *grumble*
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I'm definitely getting Serenity as a present. I see a gift that's shaped suspiciously like one DVD, and the only thing I asked for was the LOTR DVDs or Serenity.

"Why must they package Serenity with Hulk? *grumble*"

I guess they figured that if they packaged two bad movies togethor, it might make one good movie combined. *ducks and runs from thread* [Wink]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I think it's possible it could ca=ome back as a tv show if that was the only avenue, but what he's saying is that it won't be the Firefly you knew. It can't be, they've moved on and the dynamics have changed pretty drastically. But there can be more stories in the 'verse.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched episodes while I was wrapping presents today. Did Book's history ever get explained?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Chris is right... I read that interview and didn't get the "Firefly is DEAD!" vibe that seems to be general consensus at all. Joss is just saying that, should the franchise continue, it won't be the same old "Firefly." As well it shouldn't.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it can't be the same, with two of the original series characters pushing up daisies.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Those are space-daisies.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I rented it and watched it twice today. Once with my dad and grandad who hadn't seen it before and once alone with the commentary on. My grandad kept falling asleep though, so when he woke up he'd ask what things were.

My grandad: "Reavers? What's a reaver?"
My dad: "Uhh... a sort of cannibal."
My grandad: "Oh. Well, that's a [heck] of a lot cheaper than A&P, I guess."

Then he fell asleep again. [Smile]

Edit:
quote:
Don't forget the easter egg: on the main menu keep clicking right until a panel on the right of the screen highlights.
On the version I rented, I had to click left, and not right. I got very frustrated clicking right about a hundred times and having nothing happen. Maybe the Canadian/American versions are different? Or did you mean left?
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Serenity still #1 at Amazon, Firefly, now #3!
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING *SPOILERS*

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Of course it can't be the same, with two of the original series characters pushing up daisies.

END SPOILERS

Gee, thanks for the spoilers. As if looking at the track listing for the soundtrack weren't bad enough.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Where does the profit of the Firefly DVD sales go now? Firefly DVD sales wouldn't help for a Serenity sequel, would they?
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
At the very least steady dvd sales of Firefly reminds the companies at the top of the franchise that people are still digging the Verse.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The profit from Firefly DVDs pretty much all goes to Fox, the network that owns the rights to the show.

But the simple fact that there's a demand for the series and the movies means that, as Shanna said, people are still digging the Verse.

Which means hopefully someone will finance our next installment.

kojabu
Member # 8042

Woo! Got Serenity this morning for Christmas, shall be watched later when I get home from my aunt's house! Yay!
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those are space-daisies.
Spaisies?

Edit: Happy B-day, Jesus!

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Sorry, theCrowsWife, I remembered to give a spoiler warning the first time I mentioned it, but then forgot to the second time. Guess I just hate to be redundant.

WntrMute, I thought for a moment about coming up with some sf-ey variation on daisies, but then I decided any such attempt would just sound spacey.

What! There was an Easter Egg? Now I'll have to rent the DVD again! LOTR Wannabees, that's what they are!

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I have a question. I got the Serenity DVD, but I got the full screen version. Can someone tell me if it is worth the trouble of returning it to get the widescreen? How much better is the widescreen version?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.