FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity #1, easter egg, props, more (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Serenity #1, easter egg, props, more
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Neat
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
The Widescreen version is Original Aspect Ratio. Almost never sacrifice to get Pan & Scan, which is a crappy way to watch almost any film.. while all films suffer from it (the best example of a film destroyed by P&S is oddly enough "A League of their Own" in which the P&S keeps rotating the image to make it nauseating to get main characters in frame). Because so many scenes are designed to utilize the full scope of the presentation, P&S looks like garbage.

Give me Original Aspect Ratio or nothing.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a copy from my wife this Christmas...we have already watched it once today. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I got Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for Christmas as well as Serenity and it didn't have an insert either. Maybe whoever's putting these out have decided that it's pointless?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
You did already buy the DVD... [Wink]
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Well, I didn't, but someone did, and I'm sure they'd want me to have my insert!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Joss is notorious for using all the space he can get from whatever aspect ratio he's shooting in... for example, in the pilot episode of "Firefly," he actually arranged one shot specifically so that it couldn't be reduced to a 4:3 ratio effectively, in order to force the network to show "Firefly" in widescreen.

SPOILER FOR "SERENITY":

One example from "Serenity" itself is the shot of River in Serenity's cockpit as she whispers "Miranda" and points at the planet on the screen. Joss purposely cuts her face in half on the left side of the frame, with the screen on the far right. Any attempt to chop out the sides of this image would result in the loss of either River's face or the video screen.

End Spoiler

So yeah, get the widescreen version if you can. The big battle looks waaaaaay too good to be wasted on pan-and-scan, anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I just got the widescreen version and I watched some of the movie and I watched the extras. The outtakes were hilarious. Nathan Fillion is really funny. After Mal talked to Inara on the video screen and then Mal talked to the crew
Mal: I take it y'all were watching?
Kaylee: Yeah
Mal: Did you see us fight?
Kaylee: No
Mal: ...TRAP!!!!!!

I jumped and then cracked up.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it yesterday and I watched it almost right away. Then I watched it with the commentary on as soon as it was over.

[Big Grin] Its great! [Big Grin]

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
After having watched Serenity for the first time, I would like to take a moment to apologize for not going to see it while it was in theaters.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, if you are getting LotR on DVD then you must get THIS VERSION.
It had to be said.

There is rumor mongering about a super collector's version of Serenity coming out, though, isn't there? I'm holding out for that. I broke down and got all of the theatrical LotR movies, and now they just get dusty because I like the EE ones ever so much better.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Version lowdown: Joss had mentioned back before the movie's premiere that there would prolly be two version because he wanted the cast to do commentary/interviews but the studio wanted one out before Christmas. This was before the movie underperformed at the box office, dunno yet if DVD sales will warrant another version.

The UK and Australian releases have more stuff; a few more features on the UK, a whole other disc with more stuff on the Aussie one (and a tin collector's case).

There will not be a director's cut, he's said numerous times that the one on the screen is the one he wants.

And now you know what anyone knows.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Serenity is still #1 on Amazon, and Firefly is #3. It's probably safe to assume that it is selling at least decently in other places too.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to buy my dad a different DVD, but when I saw Serenity paired with The Hulk (and for the same price as Serenity by itself!) I got so mad I decided to make dad a Browncoat. How dare they package the great Serenity with the Crap-tastic Hulk!
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Where can I get the Aussie version of Serenity?
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Australia.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

[Laugh] JT
kojabu
Member # 8042

It's not coming out until Feb in Australia anyway.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the Hulk, although I wasn't completely crazy about it. [Big Grin]

Nowhere as near as much as I like Serenity, of course....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Astaril:
Edit:
quote:
Don't forget the easter egg: on the main menu keep clicking right until a panel on the right of the screen highlights.
On the version I rented, I had to click left, and not right. I got very frustrated clicking right about a hundred times and having nothing happen. Maybe the Canadian/American versions are different? Or did you mean left?
It is left. I have the American version (if there even is a difference between that and the Canadian) and on the Main Menu, I had to click left until a panel on the center part of the right side of the screen lit up. If the Play option is highlighted, you only have to hit left once.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning's paper had two AP articles listing Serenity in their top 10 for 2005. First was a list of notable performances. Nathan Fillion made #9 for his portayal of Mal. The second article was top 10 DVDs of the year according to fans. Serenity made #8. [Big Grin]

That made me happy.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
This site has the 2-disc Aussie version and the one with the colletor's tin box.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, have you heard anything about what the actual sales numbers are...or how the compair to what was expected? Seeing it listed as #1 on amazon is good...but it would be interesting to see what the actual number are over all.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

According to this site it was #3 in DVD sales last week.

Kinda misleading, though, as many retailers ordered light and sold out. No telling what it might have done if everyone had ordered more. I'm just hoping it has enough legs to stay on the charts for awhile.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if people want it but stores were understocked and have to order more of it, won't that help it stay on the charts longer?

I'm probably hopelessly wrong. *is clueless about how this stuff works*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a display at Best Buy two days ago. [Smile] It wasn't empty, but dang it! We had the entire end of an aisle and a large cardboard cutout of River's head! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.