FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you're a real fan, you'll do the time

Author Topic: If you're a real fan, you'll do the time
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Law Blog

quote:
Friday, October 21, 2005
Extra Time in the Name of Larry Bird

A 27 - year - old man demanded extra prison time because he wanted to honor his basketball hero, Larry Bird.
A lawyer for Eric James Torpy reached a plea agreement with Oklahoma City prosecutors for a 30-year jail term on two charges of shooting with intent to kill and one count of a weapons violation, Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said.
Torpy then insisted on getting 33 years to match the uniform number Bird wore when he led the Boston Celtics to three National Basketball Association championships during the 1980s, Elliott said.
"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey,'' said Judge Elliot. The judge accommodated his request.
"We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be."
"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But I know the DA is happy about it.''

What can you say to something like this? The guy wants 3 extra years to "honor" a sports star. If I were Larry Bird, I'd be very afraid.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bird doesn't have anything to worry about until 2038, when the guy gets out.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
True, but I'd be freaked to find out that there was even one fan out there who is violent and willing to throw away 3 years of life in my name.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
With time off for good behavior, it's really more like a couple of months. [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would he take the time off and dishonor the ideal of the great Larry Bird?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd do that for Brett Favre, you know.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mage:
I'd do that for Brett Favre, you know.

Four consecutive life sentences?
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. A 30 year sentence changed to four years.
Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You honor Brett Favre. I'll honor the Mooninites.

Since the moon rulz #1, I shall only serve one day.

On the moon, we have advanced beyond all rules and manners.

In all seriousness though, this man sounds supremely creepy. I wonder if he'll change his mind after he's been in prison for a while.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about obsessed...

(This is the second time I've posted that some exact sentence fragment in the past ten minutes.)

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
He'll probably just serve 33 months...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.