FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Carrots!

Author Topic: Carrots!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I need inspiration in the name of carrots. I'm tired of how I prepare them, so I'm looking to you, dear Hatrack, for ideas to add some pizazz to carrots!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, quid dear, the only way I like carrots is raw with Curry Dip. Hey, that might be right up your alley!
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Curry Dip? Recipe, please? [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's so easy and I like it even better than Ranch Dressing (which I've been known to put on everything, except cheesecake [Wink] ). Really good on raw veggies.

Mix together:
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp tarragon vinegar

It's better the longer it sits (in the fridge) as the flavors get stronger. Note of course that this is the American, white-bread, "store-boughten" version of curry, not the fancy stuff you make over there. I'm sure your kind would be even better.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] You're too funny, Jenna. I buy my curry powder at the grocery store, same as you do. I could make my own, but it's too much work and I'm too lazy. I could buy it at the local market, fresh made, but... that would be an extra trip and they'd overcharge me anyway. Besides, the grocery store stuff is good. [Smile] Although I do mix my spices, so it could be argued...

I could also provide you with a link to some of my recipes for curry powder. After I load them onto my site, that is. [Smile]

Which probably won't be today. [Frown]

Lynx
Member # 8760

- posted      Profile for Lynx   Email Lynx         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just steam them, or from a can just dump them into the microwave, and then just put some brown sugar and butter on them. I don't know, my husband likes them that way, I like them plain. [Big Grin]
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I eat carrots raw. Crunchy!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I should specify existing limitations on the carrot parameter. [Razz]

Fahim hates raw carrots. He also hates them plain. He likes seasoning, more seasoning, and even more seasoning. Spicy is always good, but not necessary. And he doesn't like sweet for veggies.

I know, the cross I have to bear... [Razz]

But as for me, Lynx, I like it. [Dont Know] I just know he'd never eat 'em that way. [Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How about carrot soup? That's one of my favorite ways to eat them. Cook it like a squash or pumpkin soup, and puree it when it's done. You can add as much spice as you like. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(And you can garnish with that spicy cream sauce.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody who does not like raw carrots is undeserving of their crunchy goodness. Let him eat spinach!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have a feeling they don't get much spinach there, am I right?
King of Men
Member # 6684

That is not actually relevant : I was not making a recommendation, but rather imposing a curse. He'll eat spinach or nothing; if it's nothing, well, that's just too bad.
RyanINPnet
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RyanINPnet   Email RyanINPnet         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Pick me! I have a good recipe.

This is my number one most favorite recipe. It is so simple yet so delicious. My dad made this recipe up for me when I was a baby...he said it was the only food I would eat.

To start out with you need to peel and slice up a whole bunch of carrots into very thin slices (a lot better if sliced at an angle, I use a mandolin for this). If I had to guess how many I would say 4-5 cups.
1 whole onion sliced into thin strands (not diced, that is yucky)
4 garlic cloves minced or finely chopped
2 cups Chicken Stock/Broth (more or less depending on your preference)
2 Tbls of Brown Sugar (again to taste)
Fresh ground pepper

So after you have sliced up the onion and carrots, pour a little olive oil or peanut oil into a wok or big skillet and sauté the onions and garlic for a little while, do not let the garlic get too brown. Then mix in the carrots just to get them started cooking. After a minute or so mix in the chicken broth and pepper and simmer until the carrots are done to your taste. Then finally mix in the brown sugar and enjoy.

This is really one of my favorite foods. I eat it probably on a weekly basis just with homemade fried-rice or some salmon...it is so good.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

We have spinach here, but it's not like spinach you have. It's a different variety, or possibly not even a true spinach but called that because it's the closest English vegetable. Or something.

I mean, stick a stalk in the ground, it roots, and voila! More spinach.

It's mucilagenous.

So, uh, yeah, that really is a curse. [Eek!]

Hmm. Carrot soup. That's an idea. [Cool]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Just throw thinly-sliced carrots -- 5millimeters (3/16ths of an inch) or thinner; cut across the grain -- into any curry recipe, and the odds are it'll be a better curry dish. Works for chili recipes, and almost every other spicy-hot stew/sauce/etc; and nearly every highly-spiced stew/sauce/etc even when it isn't spicy-hot.
Any stew with a highly errm...flavorful meat -- lamb, goat, deer, duck, etc -- will be improved with the addition of thinly-sliced carrots.

Or shred carrots into a batter, and fry. If you want, you can also add a little diced meat/shrimp/etc into the batter for flavoring. Then eat with a sauce of your choosing.

Stir-fry chopped green onions and shredded carrots, add left-over rice from yesterday, then toss in a couple or few eggs and add some salt&pepper while continuing to stir-fry. You can toss in other vegetable -- diced peppers, diced celery, fresh peas, young string beans, etc -- when you start also.

And no, I'm not a fan of carrots. I can eat them without being repulsed, but it ain't as if I'm "yum, goody, some carrots, yay" about them. And given a choice*, I won't eat cooked carrots if they're whole or in chunks.

However, I do like foods which are cooked with thinly-sliced or shredded (diagonally across the grain) carrots. They interact well with the other ingredients during the cooking process, usually resulting in a better dish.

* Having traveled in the ThirdWorld, I don't throw away food. So as long as it's been cooked (intentionally), I'll pret' near eat anything vaguely edible that ends up on my plate or in my bowl.

[ December 20, 2005, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ryan, how on earth did I miss your post? That's just... shocking! Yep, it looks like a good one, and I'll give it a try.

Aspectre, yep, I usually curry my carrots. I was just feeling bored. And uninspired. I get that way sometimes.

Chili. I need to make me some soon. [Razz] Since I found the red kidney beans, that has happiness written all over it. My favorite chili is a cajun chicken chili. Yum! Hot enough to burn a hole through Fahim's tongue. [Razz]

And you're giving a lot of great ideas that I just can't use. [Frown] We can't get any flavorful meat, er game here. It don't exist. Nor do young beans or peas of any description except frozen died bright green hockey pucks. They're terrible. [Frown] But the rest of it looks good. [Smile]

quote:
* Having traveled in the ThirdWorld, I don't throw away food. So as long as it's been cooked (intentionally), I'll pret' near eat anything vaguely edible that ends up on my plate or in my bowl.
Yep, I hear ya. [Smile]

Thanks for the ideas. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to have a yummy treat? Carrot muffins. Joy of Cooking (which I just returned to the library, or I'd type in the recipe) has a nice version.

Carrot Cake, which has always been one of my favorite ways to eat vegetables.

I've made a three-layer vegetable pate that had a carrot layer (as well as spinach and cauliflower).

Carrot Salad, which is simply shredded carrots mixed with mayonnaise, cinnamon, pineapple, and raisins. Some people add sugar, but there is no accounting for taste.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I've made a three-layer vegetable pate

I didn't even know vegetables had livers! [Eek!]

Learn something new everyday... [Wink]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't even know vegetables had livers!
Vegetarian Chopped Liver
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a recipe, but minestrone with lots of carrots. And small pasta to fill it out a bit.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy carrot recipe = add some lemon juice and a bit of cumin powder to cooked carrots. Simple and nice.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrots boiled in tonic water is a classic. Adds just a bit of tangy-ness to them.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
The tawney scrawney lion would vote for the Carrot Soup. And, if you were Mormon, you could shred them and set them in lime Jello. Personally, a little dark brown sugar sprinkled on steamed carrots just as they get soft is the best of all.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Cut the carrots into pieces about 1/2" wide and 1-2" long.

Toss lightly in oil with any spices you wish.

Roast at 450 until done (a fork goes through easily). Usually about 30-40 minutes.

If you're feeling sassy, sprinkle with parmesian cheese and put under the broiler for 2 minutes after roasting.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

<-- is not feeling sassy today [Frown]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

<--- can't get Paremesan cheese. [Frown]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Quid, is Parmesan cheese the kind of thing that can successfully be mailed to a tropical climate? Because even though I am not feeling sassy today, I DO have Parmesan cheese.

But I'd hate for you to find a stinking blob of goo in your mailbox.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

With the heat in transit combined with the hot storage rooms at the post office and that sort of thing? No, I don't think it can be counted on to mail well, although I do appreciate the thought. [Smile]

I think I'm going to check out the grocery store downtown next time. They sometimes have things we can't get here. Hmm. Good thought. *puts parmesan cheese on list of things to hunt for*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And then great sassiness will ensue!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Roast carrots, as described above by Dag, are excellent (I especially like them with sea salt). I'm completely intrigued by Ryan's recipe, though. I'm gonna have to try it.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh no! [Eek!] We can't have sassiness! What ever will we do? *panics*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Never mind the sassiness. You don't have Parmesan cheese anyway.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
And, if you were Mormon, you could shred them and set them in lime Jello.
[ROFL] She is Mormon. Just not devoid of taste...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, yeah, exactly. *shudders* Carrots and jello should never exist in the same sentence. Ever. Ew! Not even in that one that I just typed. Ew!

Ew Ew Ew!!!!!

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy carrots with calorie-free Caesar. Or any other kind of creamy, calorie-free dressing.

It's a tasty abomination!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad about the no sweets with veggies rule. I like steamed, carrots marinated in butter and a bit of honey.

But my favorite way to eat carrots is raw with hummus.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You know, LadyDove, I'm so with you. Fahim is just funny about his veggies. He doesn't like 'em anywhere near resembling crunchy - they gotta be soft like babyfood all the way through. Ugh. I supposed it's because he eats with his hands and prefers carrots, for example, that he can mash to blend with the rice and whatever sauces are there with the vegetables or proteins.

At least he eats veggies.

LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
True enough. [Smile]

Here is a site with quite a few recipes, though I can't vouch for them.

Carrot Recipes

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I just found out that carrot fritters are out. [Frown] Fahim doesn't like fried dough as a general rule. He only puts up with it on very rare occasions and just vetoed the possibility of ever using it with carrots. [Frown]

I'm going to go with a modified version of Ryan's recipe from above. I'll go with the basic, but increase the garlic (cuz I always do anyway) and add chili powder (we bought a huge huge bag yesterday) and maybe some curry powder, too.

I'll let ya know how it goes. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.