FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got caught! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I got caught!
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Parenting is a tough job. So many ways to screw up, and so many opportunities to make things great too."

Oh, golly, yes.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I wasn't mad at my parents for lying to me. I was mad at them for telling me (the truth), and thus making it impossible for me to choose (despite all evidence) to go on believing. In my heart I knew it wasn't real, but I wanted to be able to believe anyway.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a Jew in a predominantly Christian culture is always going to be looking at that culture from the outside. Santa Claus was one of those cultural phenomena that we just didn't "get". I still don't really get it. I suppose that if you don't grow up with it as part of your childhood, you never will.

Ah, but the Tooth Fairy! I told my son that he should never sleep with his head under the pillow, because sometimes the Tooth Fairy will come and take an eye instead. I told him that the Tooth Fairy used the children's teeth to make piano keys. The black keys were from the kids who didn't brush their teeth. He always understood that the Tooth Fairy was a made up invention. But he was shocked when he found out that other children had heard of it, too. He had figured that it was just a crazy story that his mother made up.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't even really know what a fundamentalist is in this context.
You accused me of being incapable of seeing another person's point of view. I'm not interested in the question of what dogma I'm supposed to be a fundamentalist of, the point is you flat out told me that I don't have the ability to see this from anyone else's perspective. How is that not an accusation of fundamentalism?

Just because I believe something, even because I believe it strongly, does not mean I am incapable of understanding, appreciating, or even being convinced of, someone else's position. The fact that you have thus far failed to convince me that the Santa lie is acceptable does not constitute proof that I am incapable of seeing the world in any way but that which I already do.

quote:
However, what I was saying was that, from your persepective, given how you explained your perspective, that is pretty much how you will see things.(i.e. rationally, so any Santa fantasy fun is seen as a lie)
Now you are blatantly ignoring my real words and are inventing words for me to have said. Show me one passage, one sentence, in which I said anything like "fantasy fun is a lie".

What I actually said was that children are capable of recognizing fantasy as fantasy, and they would still have fun with the Santa character even if they knew that he didn't really exist. I don't have a problem with playing the Santa game just as a game, and I defy you to indentify anywhere that I have said otherwise.

Telling your child that Santa Claus really does exist, with the intention of having them truly believe that he does, when you yourself know perfectly well that he does not, is, by definition, a lie. You are telling a known falsehood with the intention of having someone else believe that it is a truth. That's what a lie is. You may think I'm condemning you as a horrible person, but I'm not. My parents perpetuated the same lie, but they are not horrible people. Just because I call a spade a spade does not mean I am here to cast judgment. I'm just stating my point of view. If that point of view offends you, well, I'm sorry for that. But I'm not going to conceal or water down my point of view, because that's counterproductive to having a conversation.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, if you understand about the tooth fairy, what is there not to "get" about Santa? It's pretty much the same thing -- there's nothing specifically Christian about it except the timing.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, my 18 yo niece was furious the other night because her parents said that the Santa gifts would be wrapped this year.

"WHAT!!! Santa does NOT wrap gifts!!"

Like Bob, I do not remember the moment I stopped believing. And, as mentioned, I lived right down the mountain from the North Pole, and Santa walked the streets of my town as a regular, friendly old fellow. To me, it was all magical and fun, and I was also very tied in to Christmas as a celebration of Jesus' birth.

Come to think of it, no one seems to have been traumatized by finding out Jesus was not really born in December. I wonder why?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the moment I stopped believing in Santa. And I wasn't thrilled.

Out of interest, Verily, are your parents divorced?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
No. They are still quite happily married after more than thirty years. Why? What has that to do with it?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
Tante, if you understand about the tooth fairy, what is there not to "get" about Santa? It's pretty much the same thing -- there's nothing specifically Christian about it except the timing.

Santa does not apply to us. He is a Christmas thing, and Jews don't do Christmas.

The tooth fairy is completely secular, and, thus, an appropriate target for my mockery. My treatment of the Tooth Fairy is akin to me telling a kid that Santa is wanted for multiple counts of breaking and entering, and that he is famous for inappropriately having children sit on his lap.

Not that I would ever say such a thing.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember ever really believing in Santa, either. There were presents from Santa under the tree, and I remember going to see this guy in a red suit--and I even remember putting out cookies and milk for him one Christmas Eve. But I think it was always just a game for me; Santa was never a very big deal at our house. I've never had children, and am not likely to at my age, but I've often wondered how I'd handle the whole Santa issue if I had them. Probably the same way my parents did.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Verily, I apologize for offending you.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My treatment of the Tooth Fairy is akin to me telling a kid that Santa is wanted for multiple counts of breaking and entering, and that he is famous for inappropriately having children sit on his lap.

LOL -- Tante, that reminds me of an old SNL "Church Lady" skit about Santa and bouncing the little ones on his lap. "What do you get when you rearrange the letters of his name? Hmmmmmm?? How about SATAN?"
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
My treatment of the Tooth Fairy is akin to me telling a kid that Santa is wanted for multiple counts of breaking and entering, and that he is famous for inappropriately having children sit on his lap.

I would find that less offensive than what you did say.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Claus
Member # 8972

- posted      Profile for Santa Claus           Edit/Delete Post 
What are you talking about?

I am real.

If you haven't been getting any presents from me, it is because you have been naughty instead of nice. Maybe your chances will improve next year. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

HO HO HO!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

OK. I am sorry that I have offended my dear Hatrack friends. I am going to stop doing it now. I want you to know that I try to raise my son with respect and tolerance for all the people. Humor and irreverence at times, but respect. Please accept my sincere apologies for all offense I have given on this thread.

Your replies to mine are taken to heart. Thank you for showing me where I've been going wrong.

Forgive me?

Icarus
Member # 3162

I will, but will Santa?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

*snort* (at Icky)

Forgiven, on my part.

MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't talking about you Tante. I always find your comments full of intelligence and insight. And you are one of the few people whose reasoning behind the boycott of Santa makes sense to me. I apologize that you thought I meant you in my post. [Smile]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::pies MandyM::

You can't simultaneously remain above the fray and take a side. You have just said that those of us who object to being characterized as silly people who lie to our children for no discernable reason are wrong to be annoyed. I suppose, then, that you would not mind being characterized in this way? Good to know.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
I apologize that you thought I meant you in my post.

Not at all -- no apology needed!

I'm so glad we can all get along and be friends! What would I do without Hatrack?

<ponders the thought>

[Angst]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
What I want to know, Tante, is what did you do before you joined Hatrack?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Well, I personally found Tante's post offensive. I believe that if I displayed a similar amount of insensitivity toward Jewish traditions, it would not be tolerated. In fact, I found hers to be the most objectionable post on this thread. So you say people are getting too worked up, but then specifically single out only Tante as someone who you do not feel that way about, well, I think you just traded in your "above it all" card.

*shrug*

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm thinking she was an Elf in Santa's Workshop at Bloomingdale's.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I, too, am curious about Mandy's concern.

Also, Mandy, you might want to stay clear of many, many threads at Hatrack if the fact that they go off track and get down and dirty bothers you. I usually stay to the fluff threads, myself, and avoid the religious discussions and political discussions.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:

Um, before Hatrack? I don't recall any before.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.