FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mourning the Loss of a Dear Friend: My Brainchild Dies

Author Topic: Mourning the Loss of a Dear Friend: My Brainchild Dies
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, darn it! I told my father not to delete it. But he deleted it. I told him, "I'll finish it eventually, I'll keep chugging along. I just didn't get it done in a month."

I seriously had intended to finish my novel. I'd been working on it some since November ended. I'd gotten it up to a little more than 25,000 words. I had no way to back it up. Any time I e-mailed it to myself, the e-mail came up with no spaces in it. And 25,000 words is an awful lot of material to read through and re-paragraph.

We don't have a floppy disk drive, and I didn't know how to put it on a CD. So, it happened.

My Dad was cleaning off the computer. Deleting pointless files and removing trash items from the desktop. I had my novel saved on the desktop and in applications. I did all I could to keep it from dying, this iMac G5 is too confusing for me.

He came acrossed it while I was gone. He dragged it over to the little waste basket. And he clicked "ok" when it asked him if he was sure he wanted to erase the selected files. And my novel was thrust into oblivion.

I didn't have it written down by hand. I'd made no notes. The whole thing was spur of the moment improv. My plot was moving nicely. My characters were becoming well-developed. And the dialogue was brilliant. All of my dialogue is. My English and French teachers agree. But it doesn't matter how amazing my dialogue is because its gone.

I'd worked almost two months on it. I dedicated at least a total of 24 hours of work into the thing. And it was very good. My dad, who ended up deleting it, had read it and loved it. As a teacher who almost majored in English and Journalism instead, I value his opinion on my writing ventures.

But it didn't matter. He thought I was done, and so it is done. I'm not going to cry, nor have I. It just makes me angry. I could almost do this, ( [Mad] ). But I'll do this instead, ( [Cry] ).

All of them are dead, at least till I rewrite. George is gone. Though his name was actually Derek, and he just thought his name was George because he thought he was King George III.

No more will Derek (a.k.a. George) kill leaders of the American government thinking them to be the signers of the Declaration of Independence and thus traitors who deserve to die in the king's, or Derek (a.k.a. George)'s, name.

No more will the twisted cop who flips the bird to lonely, old women be twisted. No more will be bribe the owner of the pawn shop who lives on Grace Street.

Its just saddening. I'm going to go make sure that the novel isn't still alive somewhere.

Edit: I've already heard the Ernest Hemingway story, so I do not need to hear it again.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss.

Maybe the rewrite will be even better!

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I hope so. All I have to do is remember all of my plot or at least remember enough of it to make up the rest anew.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The rewrite is always better! [Big Grin]

I've nearly been in this situation a number of times and now I keep my various works in numerous places and copies at once in different places.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I might rewrite it as a short story. I'm better in that medium anyway.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, heaven's, I don't even KNOW what I'd do if someone deleted my novel.
Which is why part of it is on Deadjournal. But perhaps it will be better in another incarnation.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Deadjournal? XD
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Are you talking about LiveJournal? And, while on this note, what is LiveJournal? Or is that even something?
aiua
Member # 7825

Nope, DJ is the anti LJ.
LJ is another blog type thing.
A collection of journals that people can comment on.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Ok, then what is DeadJournal?
aiua
Member # 7825

quote:

What is DeadJournal.com?
DeadJournal.com is a journal site (much like LiveJournal), but as you will quickly see, not all journals are apple pie and fruitcakes. Here is where you find the journals that nobody else wants to see, or even host.

We love pissed off people, if you're a pissed off person who hates incompetence, please sign up now!

I'm an apple pie and fruitcake kinda girl.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Interesting....so LiveJournal is what exactly? Just an online journal that other people can read? Or do you have to do something specific to join?
aiua
Member # 7825

Um. You make a journal, add friends and be added youself (or, if your like me, have no friends:D) and then you all comment on each other's journals.
There are communities for like minded people (ie, the orsonscottcard community and possibly a hatrack community), etc. Your journals can be public, private, or made so only a few people can see them. Very customizable.

But this is a bad summary, so... I dunno.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

How does one get one of these LiveJournals? Maybe I could brainstorm there...
aiua
Member # 7825

Here would probably be your best bet.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, God. We just unleashed Steve on the LiveJournal community. I don't know who to feel sorry for. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

[Big Grin] Sorry!
aiua
Member # 7825

Steve, did you ever get that list of songs I sent you?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Tom- Its not big deal, I probably won't be able to figure it out. And I don't have any friends to read it anyway.
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible. [Frown]
you know I think you can generally get stuff out of the recycling bin. at least in Windows you can.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't think I can here...
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, Steve, in the future, here are three ways to keep your stuff safe on a Mac:

1) Buy a keychain USB drive. They're under twenty dollars, and even the smallest one will hold a book's worth of data.

2) Create a folder into which you save all your stuff, so it's not sitting on your Desktop.

3) Create a separate user profile, so that your Desktop isn't your dad's Desktop. That way, you can save as much as you want to your Desktop and he won't see it to be bothered by it.

If you need instructions on how to do any of these things, just let me know.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

1) I don't have money. If I get money, I will. I wouldn't know how to use it on this computer. Or on any other computer...

2) How might I create a special folder just for me?

3) You can do that on this computer?

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone deleted 25,000 words of my work, a murder would surely follow.

Too bad, man. I feel for ya.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I couldn't kill my father. Then a 12 Angry Men-esque court trial would follow. And after seeing both versions of that movie, I have decided that there is no way I want Tony Danza to be on the jury when my life is at stake.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be severely upset. I feel for ya, Steve. That's rotten. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried undeleting it? If you have any hope of doing that, the sooner the better. Any delay could cause it to be permanantly written over. Maybe you could still save it, or part of it.

Someone familiar with Apple will have to help, I cannot.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy moly Steve. [Frown]
What did your Dad say when you told him how important it was to you?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Mac have a version of System Restore like Windows does?

My computer caught a nasty virus so I restored my computer to a month old System Checkpoint and noticed that alot of files I had permanently deleted were restored as well.

There might be hope.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

1) I don't have money. If I get money, I will. I wouldn't know how to use it on this computer. Or on any other computer...

2) How might I create a special folder just for me?

3) You can do that on this computer?

1) To use a flash/keychain drive, you just plug it into a USB port on any Mac or modern PC. It will appear as another mounted disk drive.

2) If you do #3, this would be unnecessary. But otherwise, here's how it works:

a) Open your root drive. There should be an icon for it on the Desktop, and you should be able to click on it to view the folders inside. (There are other ways to get to the same spot, but this is probably easiest.)
b) Option-click (or right-click, if your mouse has two buttons) and select "New Folder" from the menu that will appear. (You can also get this option from the File menu.) Name the folder something like "Steve's Stuff - DO NOT DELETE."
c) In the future, when prompted to save a file, save it to the Steve's Stuff folder instead.

3) If the default account for the system is an administrative account (which I suspect), you should be able to go to System Properties (by clicking on the little apple icon at the top left) and, under Users, add a new user. By default, that user will not be an admin, but will have administrative control over their own Desktop and anything saved within their personal folder (which will be created by default); you can change this, however. You may also want to change the default login behavior to prompt for a choice between the two accounts when the machine is started, but that's not necessary; if you log off at any time, you'll be taken to a menu that will permit you to make that choice and log on as your new account.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'll try that stuff here in a bit. I need to shower or something. Just got back from a thirteen-ish mile hike.
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
That's horrible. [Frown]
you know I think you can generally get stuff out of the recycling bin. at least in Windows you can.

On a PC, even if it isn't in the recycle bin there is a good chance that it could recovered using other "specialized" software.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.