FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Happened at Christmas - There was a gathering!

Author Topic: What Happened at Christmas - There was a gathering!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm online for the first time in a week and there is so much I want to share about Christmas.

1. A Gathering on Friday. MattB and I joined Jon Boy, Brinestone, beverly, porter, pooka, and human 2.0 at the Orignal Pancake House for breakfast Friday morning. The food was wonderful and the company even better. I can't remember human's real name - James, right? He was quiet, but looked happy. [Smile] It was fun to pause the conversation to say "Let's ask the human what he thinks!" Thank you, everyone - that was great.

2. I owe a tremendous apology to Dr. Rabbit. I didn't copy down her number before I left, and I wasn't online the entire vacation. Christmas Eve, at 11:30, the family parties are all over and I'm back at my grandparents house where I will spend the night, and I realized that I hadn't called Dr. Rabbit yet about Midnight Mass. We found her number, but much too late to get to Mass on time. [Frown] I'm so sorry. Thank you for the invitation. It was very sweet.

3. The family Christmases were wonderful. Matt's family was incredibly sweet to me. While my immediate family did hold the big dinner with all the siblings the night before I came (what on earth?!), we concluded it was because they were clueless. Matt thinks my dad is an emotional King Kong - good intentions, but he keeps knocking me down and flipping me around and doesn't understand that it can hurt. The rest certainly made up for it - my dad gave me the most thoughtful present (black cashmere sweater and lavender pearl earrings, necklace, and bracelet) and was eager to see me when they could. Matt and I went over on Monday night to squash my dad, stepmom, baby brother, and his girlfriend in Trivial Pursuit. It sort of worked - we won the first game by a landslide and lost the second by a whisker.

I don't think my dad quite knows what to do with Matt. He was with me the whole time, and I'm not sure they talked twice outside the opening greetings.

"Hello, Matt."
*cheerily* "Hallo!"
His existence has been aknowledged.

4. Best. Present. Ever. Matt got me a signed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm beyond words delighted. [Smile] [Smile] Thank you, Matt. [Smile]

So, y'all have any favorite Christmas memories?

[ December 30, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you had such a good holiday, kat. I wish I could have made it to the gathering.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm James. Not much to say to a room full of strangers... [Angst] [Wink]

(that was only my second gathering with people I originally met online... and the first gathering was much less intimidating as it was only one person and someone I had worked with closely for a year and had video chatted etc.. but even that was hard because the occasion we finallly met in person was to attend a conference and pretty much we were the only 2 we even knew there too...)

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

But that isn't saying I didn't enjoy it. I'm glad to have met all of you and I hope to be able to come to more stuff! Then I wont be such a stranger and I'll probably speak more! [Big Grin]

:hides from awkward silence:

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*laugh* It was delightful to meet you, James. The Utah Hatrackers are so much fun. [Smile]

Yeah, no one is posting in this thread, except the always darling Noemon. That's okay - there isn't a lot of discussion fodder here. No controversey, I don't need advice, and I definitely don't need consoling. The silence doesn't bother me - I just wanted to share. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotted to see Katie too! I gotted to see Katie too!

BTW, we stopped and got ginger on the way home and I made Jeff ginger tea and made him sip it every five minutes and he was much better by the next morning. And he's almost completely recovered now. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] It was great to see you, KQ. I miss you! I need to find something in SoCal to attend so I can see everyone. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it was a wonderful time, Kat!

[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, when did you slice yourself off a piece of man, Kat?

("Matt" is totally a hot guy name.)

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
A signed copy of To Kill a Mockingbird? Is Harper Lee still alive?

Wait. You can get signed copies of things in ways other than handing the book over in person. I'm with you now.

Although I'm still curiuos about Harper...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

She didn't specify who signed it. It could have been Erik Estrada. I don't think that sig is hard to come by. Or maybe it's a picture book in ASL.

You have to think outside the bun, Dan.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
in a quick google search, she's still alive, at least no one knows she died.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance Harper Lee was a pen name?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, when did you slice yourself off a piece of man, Kat?
*waves to Ralphie*
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Is that wave a signal that thine be Kat's man meat?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Harper Lee was a middle and last name from what i found.

And ralphie, what other matt's do you know round these parts.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Oh, hey, I forgot to announce it! I'm real now as 7 other hatrackers have seen me in person! (and knew it was me--I was at Endercon and some OSC lectures too, but those didn't count)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, lucky human. Alas, I'm still artificial. [Frown]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, quid, if only you hadn't moved to a tropical paradise to be with your true love, you could have met more hatrackers and thus been truly validated... [Roll Eyes] [Razz]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tropical, yes. Paradise, have you read about the corruption, large lizards and other beasties, violence and scariness, and worst of all, unavailability of many of my favorite foods and crappiness of local restaurants, which is not entirely made up for by the wonderfulness of her mother-in-law's cooking and the availability of many curries?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Ralphie! *wonders if it is okay to tacklehug*

*laugh* Yes, MattB and I have been dating since October.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, c'mon, it's not that bad. Well, okay, it is, but so what? [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Inquiring minds want to know, which is hotter? Matt or Matthew? (Glad you had an awesome Christmas, Katie [Smile] )
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Where was this gathering? Where's the Original Pancake House?? Sounds fun!

Bob the Lawyer, check out the January National Geographic Zip Usa article on Monroeville, Alabama for more on Harper Lee -- not much but what's there is interesting. Apparently she is alive and well and has ZERO interest in being in the public eye.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Ooops ... just googled and realized Original Pancake House is a franchise. I thought you meant the first IHOP!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The first Kentucky Fried Chicken is in Salt Lake City. Is that close?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I had a Katie dream last night (okay, this morning.) You were with me in the Temple. [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

Wow, really? That's kind of cool. [Smile]

[ January 03, 2006, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
The first Kentucky Fried Chicken is in Salt Lake City. Is that close?

I just posted this on another thread yesterday, but couldn't resist -- SLC may have the first KFC, but Marietta, GA has the Big Chicken!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I thought it was cool. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.