FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trying to remember the title of an old children's book

Author Topic: Trying to remember the title of an old children's book
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying without success to remember the title of an old children's book, and figured it was time to beg for help from some other bookworms.

It was about a Native American boy growing up on a reservation and going to school off the reservation, I think set during the mid twentieth century. I believe the main character was a member of the Navajo tribe, and his rival in school an Apache. His grandfather was a big influence on him, and had taught him various traditional crafts, like reed boat building. The cover of my edition had fairly stylized figures in russet, mustard, and black. I'm guessing it was published some time between the late 60s and early 80s, and I remember the word "wind" being in the title, though that could be wrong.

Anyone? Help? This has been itching at the back of my head all week.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lavalamp
Member # 4337

- posted      Profile for Lavalamp           Edit/Delete Post 
To Kill a Mockingbird?

Sorry, I got nothing. I tried Googling a few things and failed.

Posts: 300 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a story about a Native American boy adopted by a caucasian who goes through a series of tests, athletic events, and such? I think that one may been "Desert Wind." Does this help?
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it The Medicine Bag ?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

So far no, no, and no, but I appreciate the effort!
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it worth $2 to find out the title? If so, go to Loganberry Books. They were able to find my long lost children's book.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Not really close.

Maybe?

Another dead end?

Man, this one's tough.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

Nope, those are all way too recent, alas. Definitely worth $2, though -- thanks for the link, Valentine, I'll see what they can come up with over there.
Rember
Member # 8273

- posted      Profile for Rember   Email Rember         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Education of Little Tree?"
Posts: 216 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that story, but I read it in an anthology. I would suggest that you try searching the Loganberry site before you ask your question, just in case someone else has already asked it.

Now I'll go see what I can find on google.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
No luck so far. "The Education of Little Tree" is definitely not the one I remember. I did find this page that lists offensive children's books, which I thought was quite interesting.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
"Little House on the Prairie" is listed there. Interesting.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
oh too bad, "The Education of Little Tree" was what I thought of when you described it. Glad someone else came up with the title though, because I was going crazy not remembering it!

good luck!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaysedai6
Member # 8856

- posted      Profile for jaysedai6   Email jaysedai6         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link and hope you find your book.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.