FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Brainman

Author Topic: Brainman
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I watched this program on a math savant, and it was fascinating. How they think he visualizes numbers, and has an extreme memory. He also learned a new language from scratch in a week. And most surprisingly of all, he didn't have any known extraordinary disabilities like most savants tend to have- truly amazing.

It was on the Discovery Health Channel.

Brainman

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to depress yourself about the state of humanity, take their test. It's easy enough to be a little embarrassing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I got a perfect score on the smarty pants quiz. And I don't even wear pants!
quote:

Which of the following is not a form of an electromagnetic wave?

a) X-rays
b) Microwave oven
c) Water
d) Warmth radiating from a radiator

That was my favorite!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww....I missed one question. I guess I'm just pretty smart. Oh well.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Was it that you weren't sure if a microwave oven or water was a wave?

I'm looking at my oven, and it doesn't look all that wavy to me.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante- I always thought that water was just a little too wavy for my tastes.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[Wave] <-- a wave
Another wave --> [The Wave]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You prefer your water in particle form?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed a few, although I did manage to have the correct answer as my second choice....

[Big Grin]

Also, it is because of the DENSITY of the sun, not it's size, that causes it's gavity to dominate the solar system, so their test has a mistake in it. [Big Grin]

Density does not equal size, although it this case the larger object IS more dense so the effect is the same. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I still say the "microwave oven" one is the best mistake. [Smile] And as I understand it, it's the mass of the Sun -- neither size nor density -- which matters in this case.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the mass is sort of the size times the density (if you say that size = volume), so we can all be right and hold hands and sing happy songs.

Maybe that will keep me from bemoaning the state of humanity. You don't need to be a smarty-pants to do well on that test. You don't even need to be a smarty-boxers. And I guess I could say my microwave oven is a wave of some kind...as long as I'm not observing it.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't E=mc^2 the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy? Or can it be Relativity too? It's been too long since I last did this stuff.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You all are such smarty pantses. Uh, smarties pants? And I love being right and holding hands and singing happy songs -- good idea, Shigosei.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest mistake is calling it a test of "brilliance". It is merely a test of knowledge. To me "brilliance" would be a test of intelligence or problem solving using questions for which you didn't need to have taken a science history lesson.

A monkey who can assemble a step-ladder to reach a banana is displaying a level of "brilliance".

A student who can recite the periodic table is displaying "knowledge". (Or perhaps an extraordinary memory.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
EL: E=MC^2 is the theory of Relativity.

The Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy states that "Matter and Energy can neither be created or destroyed."

The theory of Relativity showed that Matter can become Energy, maintaining the Law of Conservation of Mass and Energy.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.