FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disney's "The Wild"...the film that may or may not exist.

Author Topic: Disney's "The Wild"...the film that may or may not exist.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So, the teaser trailer Disney's upcoming CGI animated comedy "The Wild" will premiere, soon.

It's the story of a bunch of zoo animals, including a naive lion...who end up in the wild!

...*...

Man, strangest feeling of deja vu...

Anyway, Disney has no reference the film on their website, or the the 2006 preview list they released to the media.

In fact, if it weren't for the film being referenced on the recent "Emperor's New Groove" special edition DVD, I would believe it didn't exist.

Yet it does.

I guess it's good that Disney still wants to do animated films.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...interesting...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
*eyes Disney suspiciously*

Care to explain?

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, something like this happened with "Antz" and "A Bug's Life." Disney fired someone who knew key plot stuff, and Dreamworks hired him. Antz was made and released before a "A Bug's Life," and I, personally, like Antz better.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, is that how it happened? I always kind of wondered.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that is what went down, yes.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
james01
Member # 8863

- posted      Profile for james01   Email james01         Edit/Delete Post 
A Bug's Life was better.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that story makes Antz seem like that guy's personal story with Disney. Going against the hive mentality type thing. [Razz]

This doesn't really add any new info about The Wild except that the release date is April 14th, but at least is shows that it exists.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw some "stills" from The Wild a few months ago that made Hoodwinked look like Fantasia. [Smile] But yes, from what I heard, The Wild was in development long before Dreamworks started on Madagascar, so it's possible that this went the other way, or that hey, maybe it's just a coincidence after all. [Smile]

And since I just found out my new mentor for this semester worked on Bug's Life, I know where my loyalties lie. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Armageddon/Deep Impact
Deep Star Six/Abyss/Leviathan
Rob Roy/Braveheart
Volcano/Dante's Peak
Mission To Mars/Red Planet

Should I go on? You know, all the same studios see all the same scripts.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
There were also two Columbus movies back in '92, right?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Okay, I can't help myself.

Entrapment/The Thomas Crown Affair
Tombstone/Wyatt Earp
Platoon/Full Metal Jacket
Christopher Columbus/1492
Without Limits/Prefontaine
The Truman Show/EdTV
Dr. Strangelove/Failsafe

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Um, yeah. Sorry. I was working on more while you posted and I didn't see your post.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
They're making a Bambi 2 now.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
That's just wrong.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo... Eddie Izzard is a voice in "The Wild." That's amazing.

(For those of you that don't know, Eddie Izzard is my hero.)

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ni, I agree.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

As long as it's direct to video, I don't mind. I don't recognize those as real, so they don't count.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do they pursist in making these direct to video movies in the first place?
Dang is that annoying. That company is going downhill.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Because, believe it or not, there is actually relatively more money now in direct-to-video sales than movie theaters. It costs less to manufacture and distribute on movies that can be bought once and watched over than pay current theater prices on a one time viewing.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

DTV movies are pretty close to pure profit. They suck, but kids eat them up. It's not what made Disney great, but it pays the bills for some other things that I like better.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The trailer is up. It's the first clip.

I must say, it looks so terrible...that it might actually be kind of fun. Kind of. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the preview for The Wild before Fun With Dick and Jane. It looks horrible, not to mention like a cheap ripoff of the bulk of the idea for Madagascar.

As for Bambi II, it looks funny. Captain Picard is the voice of the Prince of the Forest.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's like Madagascar with no style, bad jokes, and cheap emotional crap.

That's amazing.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

And it has a squirrel making vaguely raunchy jokes!
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rabid Newz:
Well, something like this happened with "Antz" and "A Bug's Life." Disney fired someone who knew key plot stuff, and Dreamworks hired him. Antz was made and released before a "A Bug's Life," and I, personally, like Antz better.

1. Disney fired someone who "knew key plot stuff".
2. Antz was released before A Bug's Life.

Both those may be true but I think it's highly unlikely they had anything to do with one another. First of all, there is almost no comparison between the plots of the two movies, or their styles (other than both being CGI). They are both about insects. I think if there was a corporate espionage plot by Dreamworks all they needed to do was lean out their window and listen to the general buzz that is a constant in Hollywood.

Personally I liked A Bug's Life much more than Antz. One reason is that I dislike the style of Antz and similar movies like Shark Tale (which was released "suspiciously" close to Finding Nemo). In both of those movies, the fact that the characters were bugs/fish was incidental. They were even drawn to look quite a bit like the actors who did the voices. The plots practically could have been lifted whole and set in NYC with human actors. The humor was mainly from dressing humans with human motives in bug suits and fish suits.

A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo on the other hand started with original characters and personalities brought to life by their voice actors, but not overwhelmed by them (or worse, based on them). The plots evolved more from the (albeit rudimentary) conception of the nature of the bugs/fishes, but anthropomorphized. The humor largely came naturally from the plot and characters and much less so from human conceits crammed into the bug's (or fish's) world.

In Antz it was "Woody Allen is a bug" (ha ha). In A Bug's Life it was more "These bugs are a lot like us" (ha ha). I find the latter more satifying in terms of humor and plot than the former. YMMV.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.