FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Identity Theft That Almost Was

Author Topic: The Identity Theft That Almost Was
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning, someone knocked on our apartment door to repossess a car. Not our car. But the guy had my husband's social, address, name, and entire credit report with him. I wasn't home at the time.

Obviously, this caused us both to become very upset and angry. My husband called to put in a fraud alert with the credit reporting agencies, and we should be getting his credit report in a few days. Then he called the agency the repo guy was working for, and she said that his social was no where in the system and that the account wasn't his. He did some more calling, and it turns out that they didn't have complete information. I guess the deliquent car owner has the same name as my husband and when the agency looked him up, they got my husband instead.

It's still very fishy, as the account seems to have originated in the state where my husband last lived. And while his name isn't THAT unique, it's unique enough to cause suspicion.

So we're going to wait on the credit reports, and make sure that no fraudulent marks are on it.

On the happy side, at least it looks like it's not identity theft.

(My husband is upset that he verified all of his personal information with the repo man... he's always very careful about protecting his information, so his spider sense is still tingling that something is wrong.)

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait on the credit reports? What do you mean? I got mine online within half an hour of applying for it, when I ran into identity theft trouble. I wouldn't wait.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Identity theft is so scary. [Frown] I hope everything turns out okay.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

We try not to put any personal information into the computer, although I'm not as careful as my husband is.

Tonight we'll load up knoppix (a linux distro) from our CD drive and check online from there.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Does anybody know what the laws are regarding pulling someone's credit report? I was under the impression that you had to have permission or actually have a business relationship with the person. We're at a loss as to how this guy could have pulled my husband's credit report with only his name and address. We figure that they found our address from a routine search--but his social? Was it legal for him to pull the credit report like that? And if he had to have the social first to pull the report, I think since the person who hired him had the correct social, that it should have been obvious that he got the wrong guy.

It's all very confusing.

So were any laws broken? I know having your credit pulled can be damaging to your credit score..but maybe not only one pull.

And is it at all possible that this could be some sort of scam? I am not sure what the point of any scam would be that requires them to get all of our information and then show up at our house to tell us about it... But sometimes scams are clever and work in ways I would never imagine...

Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. My brother had a similar experience not long ago. Apparentley, he purchased around 1100 dollars worth of computer equipment in San Diego.

Except he's never been to San Diego.

I had a good laugh over that one, even before he got his money back.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
When both my husband's and my identities were stolen, we had a fraud alert placed on our credit reports. Now, we get a phone call if any suspicious charges turn up, to make sure they are genuine.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
For a split second, Ela, I read that as "When both of my husband's identities were stolen".

It's much funnier my way.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

[Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ela's husband is a superhero! [Eek!]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Shhh! Don't tell. [Wink]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
His secret is safe with me! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

[Razz]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing happened to us a few years ago. We met a guy with a tow truck in our front yard. "Ms. Davis?" he asked. My wife answered yes. He just shook his head and said, "You ain't a thin, single, black woman, are you?"

My wife of English/Italian heritage, who hopes to lose a few pounds, did a double take at herself and said, "No."

"You don't have a new SUV do you?"

"No."

"Well, some one with your social security number bought one a few months ago and hasn't paid a penny for it yet."

It showed up on our credit report for a few years, almost costing us the ability to refinance our home, before the credit companies listened to our complaints and cleared it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.