FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dr Who on SciFi (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dr Who on SciFi
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Dr. Who is joining the SciFi Friday lineup starting this March.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck yeah!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you watch the Christmas Special? Was it shown in Amerique?

EDIT: Oops... see Bella's post for explanation.

[ January 12, 2006, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I quite liked this series. Not as good as the old ones, but I'll take British Sci-Fi wherever I can find it.

For anybody who hasn't seen it before - there's some brilliant moral ambiguity about the Doc that is hard to resist. He's often manipulative and he actually really HATES his enemies and wants to kill them all, while being basically a hyper intelligent, sort-of-immortal, impulsive, dynamic, exciting kind of guy. There's something a bit Ford Prefect-y about him. His companion this time is reasonably amusing too, being a normal chav girl who lives in an innercity block of flats with her Mum until the Dr. saves her from leading a normal life. Even though the actress used to be a really awful pop star, she's a slightly better at acting.

Watch out for the Christmas special episode, which takes place after the normal series and is definately the best yet.
I think I like the newest Doc a lot better than Chris Eccleston's, despite the fact that he looks a bit like a surprised stoat. He reminds me of Tom Baker, in a good way.

So, basically, watch it.

EDIT - Gah, how could I forget Capt. Jack? Coolest bi-sexual spaceman in the history of bi-sexual spacemen. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!

I've heard some brits discussing the latest incarnation of the series, and it sounds good.

The latest version I saw (with Ace as sidekick) was pretty good too. I liked that Doctor pretty well. I still miss Tom Baker, though, and the scripts written during that era by Douglas Adams and others. The things that were so great were the subtleties, funny things they only hinted at that were so clever and delightful!

Like the fact that all the henchmen of Count Scarlotti in that one episode about the Jaggeroth had the names of Italian composers, remember that? Or that time when The Doctor and two others were captured by the cybermen and they were sitting dejected against the wall, and just happened to have their hands in the "see-no hear-no speak-no" positions? Or after the Doctor offed a cyberman once while they were being pursued, and he paused to recite "Out, OUT, brief candle..." before someone grabbed him and they both ran. The fact that they pinched King Henry V's speech from the Shakespeare play for the speech the badguy gave to the inhabitants of Atreos in their war against Zeos, "this blessed plot, this Atreos". Or when they had a whole episode about these bull-like creatures who invaded planets and built large mazes into which young men and women were sent as tribute, all alluding to the story of the Minotaur from greek myth, without ever connecting it to the myth in any way until the very end when the Doctor said something about "this time" when someone noted the returning spaceship was painted white, implying that he messed that up once before (obviously in ancient Greece) and made sure this time they wouldn't have that problem.

It was just so full back then of funny little in-jokes that they never made explicit. The whole show had that Douglas Adams insanity and wonderfulness. I wonder if the show now is still that good?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah- this is the first season of the most recent Doctor Who! How exciting!

This season is a fantastic one. I was blown away by the intelligence, sensitivity and wit of the writing. I've extolled the virtues of this Doctor Who before so I shan't again. Suffice to say, I really encourage everyone to catch a few episodes!

Although I agree with almost all of what Bella said, I do disagree with her slight and subtle criticism of Christopher Eccleston... I thought he was brilliant in the part; unconventional and funny but also utterly and completely his own Doctor Who-ish self. The other characters are equally interesting, believable and watchable...

quote:
Even though the actress used to be a really awful pop star, she's a slightly better at acting.
I think that she fits her role perfectly. In the whole season, I was never disatisfied. She's actually done quite a few roles on British television by now.

Don't miss it!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

No criticism of Chris Eccleston intended, subtle or otherwise! He's a great actor and really sold the part.

I just happen like the new Dr. even more. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Is that for aesthetic reasons?

I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement...

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
Is that for aesthetic reasons?
No, not really (see surprised stoat comment above). He's kind of cute, in a newtish sort of way, but if I had to pick between the two on aesthetic grounds, I'd probably pick Eccleston, to be honest.
Teshi
Member # 5024

Hm. So far I prefer Eccleston's character, because he's so distinct, but as I said I only the Christmas Special to go on.

Which I also thought was excellent. Dark, but excellent.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I get to see the new Dr Who series!? ALL RIGHT! It's about time.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally OT here, did you get your DVDs Noemon?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh! Yeah, I meant to PM you and let you know--I got them a week or so ago. Thanks for sending them back--wish you could have gotten some use out of them.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Starts on Sci-Fi Channel tomorrow night (Fri 3/17), 2-hour premiere, 9 PM EST/8 PM CST -- link

[Cry] doesn't get Sci-Fi Channel

[Smile] but a friend does and she'll record it for me

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pardon my pessimism, but isn't this a sure sign that:
1) The show will have strong fan support, and
2) It will be cancelled after one or two seasons.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

It's already been renewed up to and including season three by the BBC. So not to worry. [Smile]

I'm really looking forward to seeing what American audiences make of this series, since it's so incredibly popular in the UK. This year they're selling Dalek Easter eggs in Marks and Spencer's.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight! *dances* I hope I remember to watch! [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:

I think you mean on American tv, neh?

But Bella's got a point. The episodes will exist, regardless of what American audiences or television stations think.

It's not all about America, you know [Wink] .

quote:
This year they're selling Dalek Easter eggs in Marks and Spencer's.
Darn! My father's in Britain right now but I have no way of asking him to bring me one! Do you mean big eggs or little eggs?
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Normal, largish Easter egg sized. They're in dalek shaped boxes so you can't actually see them, but presumably there's a dalek shaped chocolate in there. [Big Grin]

It made me ridiculously happy to see it.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
quote:

[Smile] Nah, you're thinking of FOX. If it were to ever air on FOX spacetime would warp in such a way as to cause the all episodes after the 14th to wink out of existance.
Theaca
Member # 8325

I am so looking forward to this!

But I want to watch the old Dr Whos, too. I was just too young to get full appreciation for them when they were on PBS years and years ago.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

There are quite a few episodes available on Netflix, Theca.
plaid
Member # 2393

*bump*

Starts in 5 minutes! [Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to call Jamie to have her record it for me. I'm actually excited. O_o
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
This was fun. I never watched any of the old ones, but if the humor's close, I'd probly like them. I love british humor.

The doctor is a little weasely looking, though.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he'll grow on you. He certainly did on me. At first I thought that he wasn't terribly 'good' as the Doctor, but in the next few episodes I think he'll shine very brightly.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I liked it! I'm trying not to like The Doctor TOO much, since there aren't many episodes.
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I really, really, really liked Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor. But David Tennant seems to be just as likable as Chris.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Eeeexcellent. Resistance is futile!
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it very much. Will definitely try to watch it each Friday.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Loved them. Will get the DVD's, too.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. Missed it. [Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Looks like it repeats (for this week anyway) Sundays at 11:30 PM EST.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who HATES, and I mean aboslutely HATES, any incarnation of Dr. Who - I liked what I saw of this new one. It might be the first one I might actually like if last nights' episodes were any indication of what it will be like.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, let's face it, the British will always be just a little bit quaint about the way that they do science fiction. They can be great at fantasy, but their science fiction always seems campy somehow. It's like they can't tell a science fiction story without being tongue-in-cheek about it.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ron Lambert: I think that there's a certain element about Doctor Who, and all the Doctor Who that comes before it, that demands a certain tongue in cheekness in order to carry it off.

I agree that the older British Sci Fi (Blake's 7, Thunderbirds, Doctor Who) tends to be funnier than its American equivalents (Star Trek, the original Battlestar Galactica), although I think there's a leaning now towards more funny.

quote:
Honey, you live in a space ship.
I think the humour of this Doctor Who is one of its strengths.
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
There is tongue-in-cheek and then there is just silly or stupid. For me, Dr. Who was the last two. And before anyone goes off about how I just don't understand the British humor, I really liked Red Dwarf and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. There was something about Dr. Who, especially its low production values, that made me want to change the channel and forget the whole thing existed.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

I know what you mean, only that that certain something is what caused me to watch it every time PBS would air the show.

But yes, there is something about the old Who that caused people to love it or think it was completely idiotic.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Suspension of disbelief is important for a science fiction show to work. But how can you suspend disbelief about some kind of broadcast signal that makes all plastic suddenly come alive and move around and start attacking people? And what was the motive for sabotaging the viewing platform at the end of the earth? The back story is interesting--that the doctor is the last of his species, who lost a war. They were said to be Time Lords. Does that mean the war was a time war, to determine who was going to control time? That is a story worth its salt!

Yes, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was fun, but it was humor primarily, and science fiction incidentally.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Occasional, let's face it, the British will always be just a little bit quaint about the way that they do science fiction. They can be great at fantasy, but their science fiction always seems campy somehow. It's like they can't tell a science fiction story without being tongue-in-cheek about it.

Someone should probably tell Arthur C. Clark.
Or Brian Aldiss.
Or George Orwell.
Or Stephen Baxter.
Or Aldous Huxley.
Or Alastair Reynolds.
Or John Brunner.
Or any of the myriad other serious British SF authors out there. I'm sure they'll be interested to know that that's the case.

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget H.G. Wells.

One thing I loved about this series is how they updated the effects so that you knew you were watching a 21st century sci-fi show, but still made them just cheesy and unconvincing enough to reassure you that you were still watching Dr Who.

I only saw the first two episodes, but I think it's going to go on my regular Friday schedule now. I like the new doctor. His delivery of one line sold me and hooked me for the rest of the show.

"Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life."

[Big Grin]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Someone should probably tell Arthur C. Clark."

...that people are forgetting about the silent "e" at the end of his last name [Wink] .

Are there going to be any more repeats of the 1st episode? Also, which is the best Dr Who season to start with?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
There was something about Dr. Who, especially its low production values, that made me want to change the channel and forget the whole thing existed.

I'm sorry that the Talking Box is not pretty enough for you. What other aides does your obviously infantile imagination need to enjoy the moving pictures?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

There's a pretty big difference between the new Doctor Who and classic Doctor Who. While most people who liked the classic also like the new one, they are not the same show. Of course, season three and season fifteen of classic Who aren't the "same show" either.

I'd start with the new Who and try out whatever you can find of the classic Who (listing a specific season to start with is pointless - though most on Hatrack will probably say a season with Tom Baker), but just don't expect it to be the same.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by GaalDornick:
"Someone should probably tell Arthur C. Clark."

...that people are forgetting about the silent "e" at the end of his last name [Wink] .

Nah, we're trying to keep that one from him, actually. [Wink]

quote:
Are there going to be any more repeats of the 1st episode? Also, which is the best Dr Who season to start with?
I expect that there'll be repeats--scifi is usually pretty good about rerunning shows. I don't have any idea of their timetable though.

I'd start with the Tom Baker years, myself; I love Tom Baker. I've heard other people suggest other places to start though.

signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
bump, cuz its on now. [Smile]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Am Watching for the first time. I still miss the campy old one from my youth. Not Bad. I'll keep watching.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
At least they kept something similar to the old sound effects.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Got my kids hooked. All four of them enjoyed it. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.