FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » triskaidekaphobia and other superstitions

Author Topic: triskaidekaphobia and other superstitions
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
In honor of Friday the 13th (which has traditionally been a lucky day for me, oddly) I thought I'd ask about other superstitions. My Japanese friend told me about two from Japan - it's considered good luck to enter a building with the right foot instead of the left, and if you cut your nails at night, you will not be there when your parents die.

As a child, I avoided stepping on cracks, but wasn't especially obsessive about it, and I've always loved black cats, although orange tabbies are my favorite.

Anyone else have any superstitions to share?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents were married on a Friday the 13th so the day has always had an ironic happy glow about it when I was growing up.

Despite being pretty obsessive-compulsive, the only superstition I have is holding my breath while driving past cemetaries. Its really hard now that I live in Louisiana (there's alot of dead people here or something) with a cemetary just around the corner from my apartment at school. Its not something I do everything anymore, but I do it when I'm a passanger in someone's car. My boyfriend couldn't stop laughing when we drove past a really big cemetary in New Orleans last month and he didn't know what I was doing. He only saw my cheeks puffed up and shaking my head.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I tied a red ribbon on my baby's crib and stroller to keep away the evil eye. And if I or someone else gives a compliment, or says something good, I spit three times and say "Kaynehora" to keep away the evil eye. Like some other people knock wood. But knocking wood is just dumb -- it does not reliably repel the evil eye.

I don't put my shoes on my bed or a table, because that's just wrong. Or on the top shelf of a closet, because that's even worse.

And I always wear a seatbelt. Well, OK, not always, but whenever I'm traveling in a car. Although I'm not entirely convinced that this is a superstition. I think that there have been real scientific studies that have proven that wearing a seatbelt keeps away the evil eye.

evil eye --> [Eek!]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, so many of your posts make me smile.

My daughter last night was bemoaning that she had to take a test on Friday the 13th. I said "Don't you take a spelling test every Friday?" and she says "Yeah, but this is the 13th!" [Eek!]

So I told her to grow up and quit being influenced by a silly superstition.

But now, after reading Tante's post, I find that I am superstitious too. I mean, I wear a seat belt all the time as well.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
In my medical school and residency there were superstitions about eating lunch. For example, no eating lunch with a red tray. Had to be a grey tray or that day or that night's call would be terrible. In fact, if a call team was eating lunch together nobody better pick a red tray or the rest of the team would be annoyed. Bad luck for the whole team.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Theaca, my dad told me that when he was a resident, the women who came in in the middle of the night in matching fuzzy robes and slippers with severe abdominal pain, if they came in with blue slippers and robe, it was food poisoning, pink slippers and robe, it was appendicitis. [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Theaca when you worked in the ER did you have the same type superstition the firefighters have - the one where you never, ever say the words "Wow, it's quiet tonight?"
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, that's one for sure, Belle. *shudders*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, that's one all right. When I was in a crazy lightheaded giddy mood post call and about done with work I'd walk thru a nurses station or the ER and say, "man it's quiet in here," and then wander back out. I'd get so many glares. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Theaca, you're evil. [Big Grin]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a problem with 13. Or black cats. Or stepping on cracks.

Walking under ladders, yeah, but more because it's just a dumb thing to do.

On the other hand, I will never, ever put a bookmark in a book on a page with a number ending in 0. No idea why, but it freaks me out. And I must put on both socks then both shoes, never sock-shoe-sock-shoe.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this:

quote:
he fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavidekatriaphobia, a phobia of the number 13.
And here I always thought it was simply triskaidekaphobia too. Perhaps both are correct and triskaidekaphobia is just a more commonly used word becuz it's easier to day?
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if I or someone else gives a compliment, or says something good, I spit three times and say "Kaynehora" to keep away the evil eye.
Really? ::wondering if Tante keeps a spitoon handy by computer::

I dont know about superstitions, but I've gotten into the habit of making a wish when all the numbers on a clock match. Like when it's 1:11. I dont know why I do it, but it's fun.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a systems programmer, on call to baby the big mainframe of a major hospital, we had a superstition that if you went too close to the building at night or on the weekends, your beeper would go off. So I would give it about 10 blocks leeway if ever I went downtown while on call. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
There is another phenomenon to do with engineering and programming that I call "mystic fear" and that's when you don't understand why something bad or annoying (in your machine or program) is happening but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't so instead of tackling it head on and trying to make it happen, so that you can truly understand it and know what you're doing, there's this insidious superstitious tendency to try to avoid the whole issue by doing various things that seem to maybe keep it from breaking. So like you'll quit naming the function with any underscores, or maybe combine a lot of smaller functions into a larger function, or other things that shouldn't really affect the outcome but somehow you start to convince yourself that they do. It's also known as "holding your mouth right" as in "the program crashed again", "Uh oh, you weren't holding your mouth right." Sometimes I would pat the monitor or stroke it under its chin when I was testing a new program change. Those last things are jokes but there's this real tendency toward mystic fear that you have to fight with courage and rationality. [Big Grin]

Maybe that's why I'm so good at breaking programs now. I make a great beta tester because I can flat break a program, no matter how good the author was. Maybe that's because I've trained myself not to avoid any areas that are potentially iffy. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my best friends has a fear of black cats--I was looking for a kitten to adopt from an animal shelter last year and she nearly freaked out when I considered a black one. (I ended up getting a pretty little siamese-mix queen named Zippy.) Ailurophobia is the fear of cats, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know what the fear of black cats is.

When I was little, I adhered to the "don't step on a crack or you'll break your mother's back", but that was more a case of having fun avoiding the cracks than actually being afraid my mother's spine would snap.

I've also thought of paraskavedekatriaphobia as "fear of Friday the 13th". Wikipedia says it can be called friggatriskaidekaphobia too. It lists triskaidekaphobia as simply the fear of the number 13, not specifically Friday.

Here's Wikipedia's info on Friday the 13th.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
When my daughter was almost 2 we had some neighbors that were Vietnamese. The mother say my litte girls hair from the back, it went down to a point. She said that that ment that my daughter would have lots of brothers and sisters.

A lady from the Philippines saw my second daughter's hair from the back (it goes down in the same point). She said it meant that my next child will be a boy.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
My Japanese grandparents taught me many superstitions when I was young. The "or else" part of it got kinda monotonous though. Examine:

Don't whistle at night, or else - ghosts.
When camping, or otherwise peeing on the ground, apologize, or else - ghosts.
Don't kill large moths; those are your ancestors, or else - ghosts.
Don't kill geckos, or else - ghosts. Actually, this one could have been flies. I'll get back to you.
Don't give things in groups of four, they're death omens, or else - a new ghost, who will be pissed at you.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was told by a Cuban friend when it rained on our wedding day that that meant that one of us liked to taste from the pot when something was cooking. (Guilty as charged.)

I can see where that one came from, though: "Don't eat from that pot, wait until it's on the table!" "Why not, Mama? There's plenty!" "If you do... it's going to rain on your wedding day!"

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*sniffs suspiciously*

Seems like pretty circular logic to me . . .

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother said that if it rains on your wedding day, it means that you are a nosher. There were snow flurries on my wedding day. Perhaps because I liked to nosh on ice cream.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! Thus, the trend of June weddings is an effort to stop eating between meals! I see it all now. *rushes off in excitement*
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I heard that if it rains on your wedding day, that means that condensation high in the air has precipitated back to earth in the form of small drops of water. Ironic, don'cha think?

quote:
Ailurophobia is the fear of cats, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know what the fear of black cats is.
Racism?

Seriously, though, I'm pretty confident that I have no superstitions. Seat belts are not superstitions, they are specially designed safety devices. Saying that a horseshoe will protect you from harm is a superstition, unless you can somehow hit an attacker on the head with one.

I used to be an actor, too. I was in several plays back in high school. People say all actors are superstitious, but I never was. I whistled where I felt like it, I called "Macbeth" by name, and if someone said "Good luck" to me, I answered, "Thanks!"

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
Seat belts are not superstitions, they are specially designed safety devices.

Yeah, they are. But what if you have the feeling that if you don't wear one, then you are just inviting an accident to come your way? That would be a superstition.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it would. But that doesn't stop me from wearing them every time I go somewhere, because it's a proven fact that they protect you in the event that something does happen.

On any given trip, the likelihood of getting into an accident is small. But the likelihood is also there, and it would be foolish to refuse to use the seat belt on the grounds that nothing is likely to happen. Using one even for quick trips is not superstition, it's a simple safety precaution.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Verily...actors might be superstitious, but baseball players have them beat by about a million miles.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Actors. Sports players. The stereotype goes with both. Either way, I don't buy into superstition.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
The only superstitious thing I do is in board games. Let's say I'm playing RISK and I only get one die, the unused die is going to be turned so that the six is facing up. I realize rationally that it doesn't in any way change the odds, but at the same time... [Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ailurophobia is the fear of cats, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know what the fear of black cats is.
Black cats are lucky in Britain, but if a robin flys into your window it means someone in the room is going to die. Magpies should always come in groups of two or more. When I was little, I got so good at not stepping on cracks that I don't even notice when I'm avoiding them now - it's a habit. I still look for four leaf clovers, and have found several.

But - I break mirrors all the time and wear opals although my birthday isn't in October, so I'd say I'm reasonably well adjusted. [Wink]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
someone in the room is going to die
I imagine that regardless of what robins may do, everyone in any given room is going to die. Life does tend to end up that way.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only superstitious thing I do is in board games. Let's say I'm playing RISK and I only get one die, the unused die is going to be turned so that the six is facing up. I realize rationally that it doesn't in any way change the odds, but at the same time...
Woah! I do that too! And when I have two die in front of me and only need to roll one, I choose the one with the highest number.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When we used to play Star Wars Monopoly, whoever was Princess Leia would win. It was weird. Pretty soon, even my brother was fighting to play as Princess Leia. [Laugh]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is the only hit for "kaynehora" on all of google. what is the website for single google hits?

Oh, it was googlewhacking. But for some reason this doesn't qualify, even if I put it with spit. It still only has one hit. I guess I don't understand the google whacking rules. Besides, I wouldn't be able to come up with a puntastic alternate description.

[ September 01, 2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't read the whole thread but just stopping by to say October holds a Friday the 13th... I made an appointment for a cleaning at the dentist (my dentist is about 850 miles from me but i love him and have been going to him for practically ever and can't really see myself going to anyone else) and the receptionist asked if I was sure I wanted an appointment on Friday the 13th!!! I was... ; )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be your lucky day.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"Triskaidekaphobia?"

"Fear of triscuts!"

"No, sorry, fear of the number 13....fear of triscuts?"

"Hey! Some of them have really, sharp, edges!"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.