FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music Camps and Performing Arts Schools(includes a discussion of music as a career) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Music Camps and Performing Arts Schools(includes a discussion of music as a career)
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of our children are musicians, and both have shown interest in summer camps.

If anyone has experience with "band camp," could you please share? And any recommendations, preferably within the area of the northeast, would be great. (or Arizona, actually, where my parents live-we could fly them out there and feel comfortable not being so far away.

Our daughter is eleven and plays trombone.

Our son is nine, and plays guitar. Any place that could combine both?

Basically, any stories or info would be helpful. No rules! Ha ha! Like anyone would stick to a specific topic!

[ January 16, 2006, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend a production based camp which promises a complete performance at the end. This is ALWAYS the better situation because the camp directors will be working for real results, and your kids will actually learn something, as opposed to just hanging out all day.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
"This one time at Band Camp..."

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I haven't done any in the northeast or Arizona, but I have had years of experience.

I attend a 3-day clarinet/flute camp at a local university. The instructors actually play the instrument that they're teaching you. One of them is the band director there, and MY band director was a student of the guy.

It's like Orincoro said, a production-based camp. We get music, have private lessons, ensemble rehearsals, and have a concert on the last day.

I definitely recommend instrument-specific camps. The "band camps" that many people go to don't really help them learn how to play THEIR instrument, rather it's a mass of different instruments learning to play a song or two. (Keep in mind I never attended a "band camp", just my clarinet one.)

Look around and see if any colleges offer summer music programs, or camps, for your children's age group and instrument.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, you beat me.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, band people *hate* that gag. I mean, really really hate.

I went to a band camp for a few years in junior high. You'd get placed in a different band based on an audition, and there was a concert at the end for everyone's parents to come see and stuff. I got a lot out of the sectionals that they held every other day or so.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Taste prevented me from beating you both... but not from pointing that out!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
>>>BC, band people *hate* that gag. I mean, really really hate.

Except for those of us that love it to death. And I play flute!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Check out what the local universities offer, especially if there are any that specialize in music.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, I attended several years of "Orchestra Camps". They were great. But, I think your kids are way too young. Let this one wait until they are in High School.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Why do you think they are too young?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] *remembers American pie*
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yeah, I was afraid the thread would go in the band camp joke direction. Ah, well.

Anyway, Artemesia, do you think they are too young for going away to camp, or for the musical aspect of the camp?

I agree with the performance-at-the-end type of instruction. But I also agree that there should be experts in their instrument there.

The thing is, for our son, the music festivals we attend become sort of a camp, because he plays with many other musicians, and has even performed with them. But for my daughter, not so much. Not too many trombones in those venues. Not many campfire jams.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to band camp three summers in a row, and I loved it.

And yet I don't know what this joke is about. Somebody wanna explain?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, and another question.
Has anyone been to a school that caters to performing arts? There is a very good one in our area, and I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with one. I know there are many musicians on the forum.

My daughter has said no. She could go now. Our son is not sure. And I am not sure about the academics, They are both very bright, and excellent students.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Indiana University String Academy. It would not be open to your children because they only accept violins, violas, and cellos. They used to accept basses but they lost their heads and stopped. It was very intense. I had a great time but only because I was serious and enjoyed being around other young musicians who were just as serious. It was geared for middle and high school students.

The average day consisted of:

4-5 hours of scheduled monitored practice
1-3 hours of rehearsal with a chamber group
1-2 hours or a performance or a masterclass in the evening
and there would be 2 1-hour lessons during each week.

The camp lasted 4 weeks and ended with a half week of performances of all of the groups and each student played a solo at some recital. This is probably as music focused a camp as you would find. There are camps that are called music camps where they play for maybe 1-2 hours a day and then just run around. I think something between the extremes is probably best for the average musically inclined 9 or 11 year old.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I do think you're probably going to have trouble finding camps for students so young. Most camps aim at taking students in late middle school and high school, on the assumption that these students are far more likely to be further along musically (far enough along that camps will do some good). For the age group you're looking at, I think you're very likely to get more of the "camp with some music" rather than "music camp."

I put some google-fu into action:

This is a camp for ages 8-15 that seems to be a camp with some music activities (upsides: both your kids could go, and it's a nice, well-rounded kind of camp; downsides: intensive musical training of any sort seems unlikely).

Here's one somewhere in New York that seems a little bit more intensive (though their website is dreadful). This one would only take your daughter, who's on the low end of the age range (10-16).

Another one just for your daughter, taking ages 10-19. This one seems pretty intensive as well, and you can choose 2, 3, or 4 week sessions.

I definitely think you're going to have trouble finding the intensive, performance-at-the-end type of camp for anything younger than 10. You're far more likely to find a traditional camp with some music activities.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thank you, it does help.
My son (9) is musically much, much older, but plays guitar, and it is very difficult to find any kids his age for him to play with. He cannot join the school band next year, as they don't take guitars, so he would have to wait until 7th grade to be in the jazz band.

He would definitely want a camp with fun, too.

There is a community music school, a copuple, actually, that I want to check out. Mainly, I am looking for him to play in a group. My daughter would enjoy the whole camp thing.

I will check those links, Megan, thank you. And thank you, Allegra, because I don;t think either of them would be ready for that level of intensity at this point.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
mph, I can't repeat it here, but I could send you it in email......

It comes from a movie that had explicit sexual humor though. [Big Grin]

I loved band camp, and there area tons of them in every state....but interlochan is perhaps the best in the US. They have people come to their band camp every summer from all over the world.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And yet I don't know what this joke is about. Somebody wanna explain?
There's really no way to do so within the bounds of the TOS.

In a general sense, there's a character in American Pie (played by the girl who played Willow in BtVS) who starts almost everything she says with "This one time. At Band Camp."

The last time she says that, it involves a flute.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

She is portrayed as a mousey little thing most of the movie, but in the end they find out she really isn't.

It is pretty funny within the context of the movie, but ovewrall it is pretty stupid.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea,
Do you know of any near here?

Kwea
Member # 2199

Nope...I was 18 when I moved to MA.

Sorry. [Big Grin]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The last time she says that, it involves a flute.
That is a funny understatement.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, if either of your kids ends up going to camp, you've got to teach them how to shortsheet a bed before they go. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

They would never do it, Mack. They would be the ones to be shortsheeted.
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I would second the recommendation Interlochen Arts Camp in Traverse City, Michigan. My time there, studying writing, not music, was very special and I met young artists from all over the world, a pianist from Costa Rica, a dancer from Romania, etc.

Edited to add, I was in Middle School when I went, but the Camp accepts Elementary and High School students as well for periods ranging of 4 or 8 weeks, depending on personal preference, although, at the high school level 8 weeks is recommended by the camp except for writers and dancers (most dancers are told not to stay for 8 weeks, as dancing is very intensive.)

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, those camps look great.
Now I just need some independent wealth.

Megan
Member # 5290

I will say this, though--if you think Allegra's description of the IU string academy sounds a bit intense, then you'll definitely want to give Interlochen a miss for a few years.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, the more touchy-feely camps in Maine look like more their cup of tea for now. My daughter is loving trombone now, but she tends to tire of things, so this may pass, though she is very good, and it would kill me.

My son, on the other hand, tends to be more focused. It is just that he likes sports as much as guitar.

Egads. Decisions. Where is that parenting handbook when you need it?

Megan
Member # 5290

[Big Grin]

For your son, from a strictly musical point-of-view (having absolutely ZERO parenting experience, that's really the only view I can provide [Big Grin] ), it sort of depends on what type of music he's interested in. If it's classical guitar, his best bet is to get lessons and practice. Anything else...well, he could try to start his own band. Does he take lessons?

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The touchy feely camps in Maine look amazing (I've been looking at hundreds of camps hiring counselors right now), sadly I think they're just too far away for me to consider working at.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with Maine. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks fun, I live too far away! I guess I probably could fly for most of the offered travel fees (most camps I'm reading offer $300).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Megan,
My son has taken lessons since he was 7. He is very good, both technically(reading music, learning "from the book") and improvisationally. Freakishly so, actually.

His preferred style is rock, his best style is blues-rock, but his teacher makes sure he teaches him all different styles.

What he needs is a band, but it is hard to find other nne-year olds. That is why I am thinking of the performing arts school when he is in sixth grade, but then he would miss his friends and his sports.

I need to check this place out.

The thing is, he is very clear that he does not want to be overscheduled. He likes to watch his Pats(well, not now!) and Celtics and Sox.

http://www.springfieldcms.com/

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Breyerchic, where do you live?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I just need some independent wealth.

Ooh! Me too! If you find any, would you mind sharing with me? Pleeeeeeease?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I second Megan's recommendation. From what I have jeard from people that have been to both camps Interlochen and the String Academy are about the same intensity. I know that while there was a bass studio at IU we were required to practice more then the bass players at Interlochen.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

http://www.music.indiana.edu/som/hsclinic/

This was another camp I went to. It was less intense and more focused on ensemble playing. It is only for students in grades 8-12 but maybe this would be good for your daughter in a few years.

Megan
Member # 5290

Yeah, I can definitely see him getting overscheduled if he gets too involved with too many things (especially when he's only 9! [Smile] ) Is his teacher associated with either a music store or a school or something? Because most music stores have many students on many different instruments. At the store, he could post something about trying to form a band for kids from, say, ages 9 to 12, and describe the style of music he wants to play.

The Springfield place looks interesting, but I thought you were in the Northeast.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

That is so funny, Megan! I did not even check to see WHICH Springfield. So that is definitely the wrong link, especially since, when I was looking at the right link, it looked so...different.

(Springfield, Mass.)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here it is.

http://www.communitymusicschool.com/

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

His teacher is a friend of ours, a local guitar player who is trained as a techer. But he has no affiliation with a store.

We did call a boy who is 11, who was looking for bandmates. Both boys played compatibly. it was incredible. But both are shy, and my somn did not feel comfortable. I am not sure if they'll get together again.

Megan
Member # 5290

Well, even if the teacher isn't affiliated with a store, usually you can go into a store and talk to the people there. They might even let you put up a flyer or something! [Smile]

As for the boy he played with before, that is kind of the route I'm talking about. So, if he didn't enjoy it, then he might need to look for another avenue. Unfortunately, with guitar, I'm not sure what that would be. [Frown]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I live in Bloomington Indiana, same with Megan, and sort of Allegra (but Megan is moving away too)
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I support camps. I support camps for the same reason I support youth orchestras. I think that musical education gives children a sense of excellence, excellence in pursuit of a worthy endeavor, and public place to display this excellence, for the betterment of the players and the audience. I also think that this appreciation of public excellence in the concert hall and private excellence in the practice room becomes a citizen living in a free democracy.

Time and chance aligned such that I've been to two general music camps and an instrument camp, and as I'm not too old yet, I think I may go to the Aspen Music Festival the summer after next. I think that equating the work and dignity in a music camp with a caricature in a sex comedy is equivalent to setting higher education equal to Animal House.

Elizabeth, I applaud that you are looking to do this for your kids. If for no other reason, I think that it'll make them feel less alone in their practicing. I only know of a few youth music camps in California, and Interlochen in Michigan. I know that Tanglewood has a youth camp attached to it in Boston, but I still think that those kids are in high school or junior high.

[ January 15, 2006, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, Megan, he is SORT of affilitaed with the same store we got the name from!(i.e, he knows the guy and buys his guitar stuff there)

Irami, thanks.
I think yu are right about my kids being with other kids who are excited about their music. It is exhilarating.

And it seems that the options are not the problem, but the tuition might be. Also, the reality of us letting them go for even two weeks!

boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz--Might I offer an alternative point of view? You are very close to New York City, correct? Maybe you should try to get some specialized guitar lessons for the son from a true, working, professional guitarist. It might take some looking, and you might have to go into the city, say every two weeks or so, but the instruction would be terrific and probably cost less than 4 weeks at a specialized "band camp" somewhere in the US. Ditto for the trombone. If you were near the Los Angeles area, I would offer the 11 year old some specialized trombone stuff, but MS is a tad too far, don't you think?

Good luck with your decisions and DO NOT LET THE CHILDREN STUDY MUSIC AS THEIR MAJOR IN COLLEGE!!

Keep us informed!

Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ooh, why not major is music? Stories, please.

Both of my childrens' teachers are professional musicians. My daughter's trombone teacher runs a jazz band out od the school circle, which my daughter is in, and LOVES. My son's guitar teacher is a local performer, but is also well trained as a teacher. I am happy withe their teachers, it is just that their teachers do not have the time to run other groups, and tend to be elsewhere during the summer.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DO NOT LET THE CHILDREN STUDY MUSIC AS THEIR MAJOR IN COLLEGE!!
I too am interested in why you are so vehement...
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.