FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question that proves my noob-ness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A question that proves my noob-ness
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
What are all of these "fest" things? Nerdfest? What? I'm so confused. [Confused]
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Get togethers, we gather in person, and hang out being nerdy. Ask more questions, get more answers.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Who organizes them? Where are they? How can I get involved?
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrackers organize them, there have been several in your area, we had a campout in Bloomington IN, I think there have been a few in OH too. Just read the board. But I think the biggest issue you would have, several of our board members that organize things are teachers or other public members, that really can't spend time with minors (I'm not explaining this well, sorry).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you could always organize one yourself. [Wink]

Otherwise, just volunteer to show up at one someone else is organizing, if it's feasible for you to do so.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I think the biggest issue you would have, several of our board members that organize things are teachers or other public members, that really can't spend time with minors
Teachers can't spend time with minors? [Confused]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Teachers can't spend time with minors? [Confused]

Not "minors", "miners". That is why the literacy rate is so low among the mine workers.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

[Laugh] Tante, you're awesome.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* We've had more than a few minors show up for clumps, cons, fests, etc. [Smile] But, yeah, usually it's best if children attend in the company of their parents.

If you're in Ohio, Tinros, you're very close to a number of members who regularly gather, and at least one annual gathering for Ornery regulars.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tante, you're awesome.
Can't argue with that! [Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Teachers can't spend time with minors?
That would explain the poor state of education in this country. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
With the world being what it is today, many adults here at Hatrack would not be comfortable with meeting up with those under 18 without parents or guardians of said young adults present. In part it's about avoiding even the appearance of impropriety, but in part (at least, for me) it's about not encouraging patterns of behavior that may be dangerous in general, even if we're sure it's fine in this particular case.

That is, it's similar to why I don't "make friends" with small children I don't know unless I go through their parents, first. If a child runs up to me on the playground, I tell them "we need to find your mommy or daddy right away." If a child is crying in a public place (like a movie or airport), if it seems like it would be helpful, I offer a McDonald's toy (still wrapped) to the parent.* I don't want to encourage behavior that might otherwise (not with me, of course! but potentially with someone else) put a minor at risk. Being too trusting can, unfortunately, put one at risk, especially when one is in a vulnerable position. That includes being of young age.

*[I often carry these around just in case.]

In general, it's best for those under 18 not to be involved in such gatherings without their parents present. IMHO. And even though I'm sure they would be perfectly safe at any Hatrack gathering.

Many adults also won't drink with or near anyone who is not of age, even if the minors aren't themselves drinking. Same reasons.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I knew minors did go to events, but I also knew it would be best to explain this to her. And CT explained it much better than I could.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

breyerchic, I'm still editing to try to make it come out right! It seems so persnickety, but I can really see the sense in it.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Thanks

I eat kids meals at fast food restaraunts, and give out the toys on occasion!

Amanecer
Member # 4068

CT, I understand what you guys are saying now. [Smile] Out of curiousity, how would you feel about a minor whose parent spoke to the organizer of the event but did not attend? I think that would help remove the appearance of impropriety.

I'm also curious, are legal ramifications an important concern for you since the cut off age is 18?

*Note: I'm not a minor, I just am trying to understand how you feel about this issue. [Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Amanecer, I think it varies from person to person. I would probably make that decision on a case-by-case basis, myself. (I know, not very helpful. *rueful look)

In general, I'd err on the side of being protective of my friends. After all, not getting together in person is really a small thing, and time will take care of that. I expect this general group of people will be around for a long while. *smile

And yes, legality is an issue for some of us, me included. It makes us additionally concerned, but the basic caring and concern is still there.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The whole "teachers with minors" thing refers to the extended trust society places in some people, along with a corresponding increase in the responsibility to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Because teachers (and some other persons) are in a position where they interact with and are responsible for young persons, then it is even more important that they take care. I'm not a teacher, but I am in a similar position, and I'd feel wretched if something I did made a parent fear for the safety of his or her children, or if I in any way aided a young person in making an unwise decision.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The whole "teachers with minors" thing refers to the extended trust society places in some people, along with a corresponding increase in the responsibility to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Because teachers (and some other persons) are in a position where they interact with and are responsible for young persons, then it is even more important that they take care. I'm not a teacher, but I am in a similar position, and I'd feel wretched if something I did made a parent fear for the safety of his or her children, or if I in any way aided a young person in making an unwise decision.
That was well explained (along with your other post).

Anyone wanna gather in the Pac NW? Are there even enough of you here?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm near the Pacific. And I'm northwest of most of you. But no, I'm not close enough to get together with anyone. *grumble*
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Me! During summer/winter breaks, anyway.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

CT, thank you for your explanation. It's sad that we have to be so mistrustful, but I suppose it's a necessary evil.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I wish it weren't so. We can, however, do everything in our power to be kind to and take care of one another, even if that means not having as much fun as we might otherwise. The caring and the kindness for people who are trying their best (both young and old, all of us) is a wonderfully important part of Hatrack, too.

And that's cool. [Smile]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was spelled n00b; not noob. No?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was 'newb' here, n00b on aim, and noob elsewhere.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

n00b or newbie work for me.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Oh, [Roll Eyes]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

what's wrong tante?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm okay with hanging out with minors-- if their parents have met me first and are comfortable with it.

That's what the rule was when I was growing up, that's what it will be with our kids, and so I extend that same courtesy to the parents of other children.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
what's wrong tante?

Now, I don't mind a good debate, and I like when things get a bit intellectual, but this "n00b" vs. "noob" vs. "newb" vs. "newbie" is just a little too [Roll Eyes] for me.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes to Newbert McGee.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Well, seeing as I'll be far too busy to do ANYTHING away from home for the next few months, and I turn 18 in May, the whole underage thing shouldn't be a big deal. Plus, as my parents are probably getting divorced sometime this summer, I'll be living on my own and they won't be in the picture. Sorry to make moot(is that a verb? "to make moot?") 20 something replies.

BTW, I never thought I would get this many replies to a stupid question like this.

<--pleasantly surprised

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

so now you just have to watch the board, and see what's going on, you're welcome in our clump, but I think we're about 3 hours away (you're in cincy right, or even further?)
Tinros
Member # 8328

I'm about an hour north of cincy- closer to dayton than cincy, actually. But I know someone(I think it's Noemon) lives in Dayton, so maybe we'll just have to organize a midwest gathering.
Tinros
Member # 8328

Of course, breyerchic, I could always use the excuse of going to watch BOA grand nationals in Indy, being a music ed major. Then I could take a few extra days and see who all is over in Indiana.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

When are grand nationals?
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Some one needs to inform me the next time there is one of these in the Chicago land area.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone needs to inform me the next time there's one in Perth, Australia. [ROFL]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
When are grand nationals?

Usually mid-November. I might actually be on Christmas break by then. I'm not sure.

*Oops, sorry, *winter* break. [Wink]

Tinros
Member # 8328

Dude, if there's one near Chicago, I'd take a week off and go to that! We went to Chicago in 8th grade and I LOVED it!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok, next november I'll be about an hour north instead of an hour south of Indy, but still would love to meet you.

There was a huge (50 people) con/fest near Chicago (skokie?) in the summer of 04, sadly I didn't get to go, I was at leadership conference.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the correct term is "noobitity".
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid age!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(is that a verb? "to make moot?")
"to make" is a verb. "moot" is a noun, which I think in this case is used as an object. But not real sure about that.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
...or an adjective in this case.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't moot be an adjective?

[edit: She beat me.]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
With the world being what it is today, many adults here at Hatrack would not be comfortable with meeting up with those under 18 without parents or guardians of said young adults present. In part it's about avoiding even the appearance of impropriety, but in part (at least, for me) it's about not encouraging patterns of behavior that may be dangerous in general, even if we're sure it's fine in this particular case.

That is, it's similar to why I don't "make friends" with small children I don't know unless I go through their parents, first. If a child runs up to me on the playground, I tell them "we need to find your mommy or daddy right away." If a child is crying in a public place (like a movie or airport), if it seems like it would be helpful, I offer a McDonald's toy (still wrapped) to the parent.* I don't want to encourage behavior that might otherwise (not with me, of course! but potentially with someone else) put a minor at risk. Being too trusting can, unfortunately, put one at risk, especially when one is in a vulnerable position. That includes being of young age.

*[I often carry these around just in case.]

In general, it's best for those under 18 not to be involved in such gatherings without their parents present. IMHO. And even though I'm sure they would be perfectly safe at any Hatrack gathering.

Many adults also won't drink with or near anyone who is not of age, even if the minors aren't themselves drinking. Same reasons.

This coming from the woman who walked off with each of the children at CarrieCon at various points in the weekend LOL.

BTW, I'm suffering serious bacon cheddar speread cravings. I think the Goodlets and I will be hitting the road to head your way when Farmer's Markets start up again!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
This coming from the woman who walked off with each of the children at CarrieCon at various points in the weekend LOL.
Yeah, well, the parents were there. *grin

Parents in control --> makes it okay.

quote:
BTW, I'm suffering serious bacon cheddar speread cravings. I think the Goodlets and I will be hitting the road to head your way when Farmer's Markets start up again!
Sweet! Or rather, salty. [Big Grin]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...or an adjective in this case.
Yeah, english isn't one of my strong points. But it didn't look like anyone was gonna answer the question and I knew someone would correct me if/when I was wrong.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Breyerchic, I'll have to see what my schedule looks like, and I won't have a car at college(freshmen aren't allowed to have cars, but my sister will be a junior, so I could have her take me home friday morning, then head straight to Indy). I'm going to try to arrange my schedule so I don't have classes on Friday(gotta love that Honors priority scheduling [Wink] ), seeing as my sister won't have classes on Friday. Probably. Eh, it all depends. But I'd really love to see if we could work something out. Or maybe I could take a week long trip during winter break or spring break and enjoy the GameWorks in the Indy mall. [Razz]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.