FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Canada Elections - a Conservative minority seems to be It (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Canada Elections - a Conservative minority seems to be It
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Headlines From "Around The World"

Hm.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it's obvious that voters are a bit tired of Liberal government.
So why don't the Liberals and the NDP throw their support behind the Bloc?
Or for that matter, the Liberals and the Bloc throw their support behind the NDP?

Or are Liberals so committed to "My party, first and always!" that they prefer being the Opposition in hope that the Conservatives will run Canada into the ground?

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bloc is the Quebec seperatist party. Relying on support from them to govern will be politically tricky; letting them form a government is a, uhh, nonstarter in the Rest Of Canada.

As for the NDP, I don't think a party with anything like that level of support has ever governed. The Liberals wouldn't want to legitimize a party to replace them, and the Bloc will probably be happy propping up the Conservatives in exchange for more power to Quebec. Plus they'd all have to be careful to avoid injury when Conservatives explode in incoherent rage all around them.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
First Germany and now Canada. Is France next? I can only hope!
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The conservative party elected to head the German government, the ChristianDemocraticUnion is to the left of US DemocraticParty.
As are Canada's Conservatives.
The conservatives are in power in France.

While a large minority / small majority of the Bloc is separatist, so is a large minority / small majority of Conservatives; don't want to spend their provinces' resources subsidizing Quebec. Heck, Alberta is a RedState wannabe.

So what's the trade off, the Bloc collapsing the Quebecois economy in exchange for the Conservatives granting greater autonomy?
Or the Bloc getting more subsidies in exchange for supporting the Conservative sell-off of Canadian assets, mostly to foreigners.

[ January 24, 2006, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

As Sean said, the Bloc is a quasi-seperatist party that runs candidates in Quebec only. Nowhere else can they be elected because they do not particularly care about the rest of Canada. Despite being a strong force in the House of Commons they are in fact a rather peculiar one as their aim is not to govern but to represent the aims of a particular group that exists only in one part of the country.

quote:
As are Canada's Conservatives.
This is true, and I think that we will find that they will need to moderate their views more in their present position of being a minority government faced with a House of Commons that is generally more liberal than they are.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I think separatism is more like a large majority of the Bloc / small minority of the Conservatives.

The Bloc may get some symbolic victories (seperate representation at UNESCO), the right to opt out of some federal programs and/or general devolution of power to the provinces. I'm not sure what exactly that would involve.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my riding is Conservative again. And despite all the news of the race between Tories and Greens here, the Liberals still managed to come in second.

Still. Our Green candidate got almost 7000 votes, which is 1000 more than our NDP candidate, and about 2000 more than any other Green candidate in Canada. He had 13% of the votes here. Also, there's the fact that we've been solidly conservative since the 1950's, with the exception of four liberal terms. So overall, I am still pretty proud of my county right now.

And no majority!

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
First a liberal minority and now a conservative minority, blah. I voted NDP cuz I think thye should be in power now.

As for the bloc their presence as a political party will be forever in MHO an illegal act of terrorism to destroy the union of canada and they all should be thrown in jail with life sentances for treason.

The Liberal corruption scandal is discontenting and I'm glad Paul Martin resigned, while he did I think an OK job as PM it was his job to know about the sponsership scandal and he failed at that job.

The conservative stance on same sex marriage and abortion is undemocratic, it should be a free vote by every citizen of canada. Nothing more nothing less and upon its success should be considered (in the case of SSM) an inanaliable right of every citizen and inshrine in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and clearly defined.

The Tories I do not believe that they will present a foreign policy in conjector of the wills of the Canadian People as his Steven Harper has been ridiculously Pro-Bush to the extent of supporting the invasion of iraq and believing Canadian troops should be fighting right next to American troops. A little to the front to I would gather if it meant making Bush happy [Roll Eyes] .

He'll bend over to foreign companies and ruin our budget. Brian Malruney put Canada into billions of dollars of bet, is a complete nutjob, and had the LOWEST OVERAL APPROVAL RATING IN THE HISTORY OF WESTERN PARLIMENTARY NATIONS IN HISTORY! And he says he will support Steven Harper 100% and will give whatever advice is needed?

Green? Don't make me laugh, they had a seat for about 2 hous and then lost it as they totaled the remaining votes.

[ January 24, 2006, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Blayne Bradley ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Greens had more support this year than in previous elections. In the high school/elementary school mock elections they ran across the country, the Greens won several seats. See where they're at in ten years.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I could only barely read that, Blayne. Would you mind adding some more punctuation?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, are you really suggesting a referendum on same-sex marriage? Don't you know that this was actually suggested by some, and the radical left-wing groups (with a little help from the media) shrieked and howled and said that it was an extremist right-wing quasi-fascist proposition? Didn't you listen to the campaign, and how the Liberals used the words "free vote" as they might use the words "nuclear holocaust"?

Democracy is scary.

Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, it's obvious that voters are a bit tired of Liberal government.
Or for that matter, the Liberals and the Bloc throw their support behind the NDP?

Or are Liberals so committed to "My party, first and always!" that they prefer being the Opposition in hope that the Conservatives will run Canada into the ground?

Because it's everyone's hope that this house will be more concerned with governing and getting things done. Harper will be kept on a short leash, he has too few seats to do anything too radical. At the same time, he knows nobody wants an election for at least another year, which when added to the fact that nobody will want to face the wrath of Canadians by bringing the government down means it'll last a while (hopefully).

Harper will get his core promises through. The G.S.T will be lowered. Which is both smart (it's a stupid way to make money) and stupid (it just paves the way for someone to have to raise it later. Harper himself will have to do it, if he lasts long enough). Really, the whole GST is rediculous for several reasons. Not the least of which is that adjusting income tax rates is a far more reliable method of tax control.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.