FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The "Who needs a Job?" thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The "Who needs a Job?" thread
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
A slight update for me: My plans DRASTICALLY changed shortly after the original posting of this thread. Thanks to Farmgirl for her offers of help, but I will not be needing any assistance at this time. I have a second interview up in Pittsburgh on Saturday. Hopefully it will go well and I will get the job. ::crosses fingers::

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I just landed a job in Kentucky at a thoroughbred breeidng farm. I never posted in this thread that I was looking, but I'm really excited about the job, so.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

Hey, Congratulations Ni, that sounds awesome! Good luck with it.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, kiwi! I am happy, and hope it works well for you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, ApostleRadio! Congrats, kwsni!

Fahim's still looking.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that nobody here knows me but I'm looking for an ego boost.

I've got an interview for an entry-level data entry position in a bit. It shouldn't be especially difficult to get, but then, I got turned down from a VIDEO store a few years ago, so wadda I know about getting jobs?

And, I feel very ridiculous in a suit.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Kiwi, that's wonderful! You'll be great. [Smile]

I am still looking for a job. I have some interviews, and they are serious enough about me to be checking my references, so we'll see how it goes.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Chungwa: Good luck! [Smile]
I'm sure you don't look ridiculous. Now you have to start feeling awesome and comfortable, and it will show through. [Smile]

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

By way of an update....ApostleRadio has a job! I will be working as a retail manager and making about $38,000 dollars next year. I am incredibly excited. Hooray!

--ApostleRadio

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, ApostleRadio!!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay ApostleRadio!!!!! Congrats!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome! Hey, you can change your profile now. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also looking - but I'm guessing a total lack of greencard or even desire to move to the US would rule me out of just about everything.

I drool about the idea of getting a new job.

Not actually in the interview, you understand. Just quietly. To myself.

Mostly.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

AR, what store?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

You had to ask, eh Kwea? I am almost afraid to say this, what with the recent thread pronouncing this company evil and all, but my new employer is Walgreens.

So if you come to my store, we promise to only write good things about you in our computers! Hooray for putting Jatraqueros in charge.

rivka, I'll get right on that.

--ApostleRadio

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs at profile* [Big Grin]

As I believe I said in that thread, I've always liked Walgreen's. Now I have one more reason. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim's looking for work. He had a job until yesterday, when they fired him. No, not because he did anything wrong, unless you count asking management for information on how to deal with specific customer support related issues doing something wrong.

He's been working as a sysadmin for a domain hosting outfit and has done this type of work for the last two and a half years. He's also a programmer. You can look at his resume.

He's looking for remote work, ie working over the internet. Whether it's programming or other development work or sysadmin stuff, he'll take it. He prefers programming, but seriously, he needs a job.

Anyone? Anyone?

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
No help for you, quid, but good luck.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
There are plenty of those type of jobs here in Omaha, quid. Would he be interested in coming here?

Oh, and I'm looking for a job too.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
The bakery where my girlfriend works is currently looking for part time counter help. It's in Berkeley, CA, if anyone is interested in running a register.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend is looking for a job, anyone know of any openings for an aerospace engineer? He just graduated and is currently in Atlanta, but is willing to relocate.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim and I don't really want to go to the US or Canada. We're willing to relocate to certain areas, such as the Middle East and Europe (not Fahim so much, but I'm trying to convince him [Smile] ). Remote jobs, ie over the internet, are welcome.

What kind of work are you looking for, Valentine?

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'm not sure. I have a meeting with an advisor at University of Nebraska at Omaha on Wednesday to go over some options. They have a program for students over 21 who just want a degree. It would be a Bachelor's of Liberal Arts, I think. I have been looking for secretarial positions, but almost all of my experience has been in a medical setting and I'm trying to get away from that. My last job paid me well, so finding something in that range is proving a little difficult.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic - I'm in St Paul and would love some work, but I'm also a student (at Macalester) and therefore have classes as a first priority. Another downside is that I rely on the public transit system, which if you're at all familiar with it, you know it's awful. I do however speak French fairly well, if that's still something your boss is looking for. Do you know if there are any part time positions available?
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Dragon, you might want to PM or email him, too. This thread is kinda old and I don't know if he'll see it. [Smile]
prolixshore
Member # 4496

If anyone knows some people in Pittsburgh who need a job, I am in need of some new employees to replace some rather unreliable ones. Still at Walgreens.

I will be needing this thread in a few months, when Annie decides where she is going to vet school. I will be moving with her, and hopefully I will be able to find something closer to my field of study/interest.

--ApostleRadio

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, bummer quid and Fahim. I wish I knew something, anything for you -- but I'm afraid I'm no help.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon, Enig's place of employment is in Plymouth, so it would be a heck of a long haul from Macalester with a car. I'm not sure it's possible on public transit.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

Boo.

Yeah, I figured It'd be a long shot... but I really do need a job. I'll email him after I ask around at some places closer to campus.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Dragon- Do you know Cora Polsgrove? She goes to Macalester, too.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone think of a non-soul sucking job (or a soul-sucking job at least within the medium pay range) that someone with my background could work in for at least two years?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Thing is, mack, that what one person finds soul-sucking, another finds invigorating. So more to the point, what kind of job could you handle? I'm sorry, but I don't know your background - other than fencing, photography, and writing - well enough to know what kind of job you'd be suited for.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone were interested in relocating to remote Nevada, we are currently hiring for Armed Guards (must be able to pass a basic physical agility test) and Munitions Handlers, persons who ship, recieve, renovate, and demilitarize (demanafacture) conventional ammunition. That might sound dangerous. But, our safety record is excellent. We should be hiring most of the winter and early spring. If you wanted details, you could send me an email.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

I don't breyer - any idea what year she is? I'm only a freshman...
Kwea
Member # 2199

If the job involves being afraid to fence against me, a complete novice, and running from it for three years, I'd say it was right up mack's alley. [Wink]

(I am SOOOOO dead...or at least black and blue...once she shows up with gear, but it is completely worth it. [Big Grin] )

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim has a request for an interview. *crosses fingers*
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good Luck!
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who's a good Java programmer that wants to work (part time) in an interesting research lab in Bloomington, IN, drop me a line, we're hiring.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone in the Seattle area is looking for a part time job, one of my boss' friends is hiring for a pretty good position given the skillset required. Job ad can be found here.

$12/hour, weekend hours.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
The company I'm working for right now is looking for inside salespeople in L.A., Chicago, Atlanta, Jacksonville (FL), and (in the very near future) Dallas.

It's a good company, with more than competitive pay for the field, base salary plus commission. We sell security systems to restaurants, for the most part. It's a lot of calling but there's a lot of interest.

If anyone is interested and has some experience in sales, e-mail me to let me know.

Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Fahim was offered the job I mentioned above, but the pay was so sucky with a dictatorial egohound as his potential boss that he turned it down with my support. Fahim was offered two more jobs, also with dreadfully low pay. He remains unemployed - sort of.

He's been hired as the editor of a tech magazine starting up here in Sri Lanka (mentioned in another thread), first issue scheduled to come out in April, but that's not written in stone. Problem - pay is lousy. Good for local wages, but lousy for what we're used to and would like. Still, he's doing it because it's something and because it has the potential to be extremely interesting, challenging in a good way, and will likely lead to a lot of very good contacts and potentially other very interesting and exciting possibilities.

Meanwhile, though, he's still looking.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.