FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your kids reading? Or what are you reading to your kids? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your kids reading? Or what are you reading to your kids?
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there's a lot of parents here, so I thought this would be an interesting discussion full of ideas!

Boy Opera, Operaetta, and I are currently reading the Lemony Snicket series. We began reading them aloud over the summer, and are now on the ninth book, so I guess it's safe to say we like them.

We also read some poems today from A Family of Poems compiled by Caroline Kennedy. It has beautiful illustrations, and a nice selections of poems. I was reading to the big kids when Mr. Opera said, "I think you have a third listener." Space Space Baby was laying on his playmat mesmorized by the fall and rise of of the poems!

For independent reading, Operaetta really likes the Step 1 and 2 books. She also loves the Dick and Jane books. Boy Opera reads a pretty wide variety of nonfiction and fiction. One of his recent favorites was The Indian in the Cupboard .

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine loved The Indian in the Cupboard! And my first- and second-graders love to read the Magic Tree House series. Not my personal favorite, but they love to read them so much, I encourage them.

Together we've been reading the Narnia series this school year. We've done The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian, and now we're on The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Even the 3-year-old loves to be in the room and listen as we read them, although I don't know that he's understanding a word of it. I've run into a lot of people who are reading those right now, probably because of the movie.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Silver Chair. [Cool]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter is younger so we are still reading picture books rather than novels. Her current favorites are The Very Grouchy Ladybug and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs .
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Mandy, I love that book! It's even better in Spanish, La Verdadera Historia de los Tres Cerditos
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Natalie is reading The Abhorsen Trilogy.

Emily is reading every library book she brings home so she can take the Accelerated Reader test and move up levels, she wants to be on level 3.5 by the end of the year. But, in her spare time she's working her way through Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg Definitely an advanced book for a 2nd grader, and she has to occasionally come to me for help with a word or two but overall she's doing well.

Daniel loves Dr. Seuss, we read a Dr. Seuss book every night before bed, his current favorite is "There's a Wocket in my Pocket." Abigail is the only one who doesn't love books like the other three. She'll listen when I read to any of the others, but rarely comes to me and asks me to read to her on her own.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now we're in an LDS series "Tennis Shoes among the Nephites" but we've also loved Indian in the cupboard and have started the Narnia series but took time off.

My first grader is enjoying Nate the Great books and my fourth grader loves Encyclopedia Brown. Mysteries are a hit apparently.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Sweetbaboo, do you enjoy those "Tennis Shoes" books? I've wondered about them, and wouldn't mind trying them, but they aren't in the local library and I don't want to spend the money on them if it turns out they're ... corny.

(I loved Encyclopedia Brown! [Smile] )

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still technically a kid. Last thing that I read was A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin. However, I'm thinking that the "A Song of Ice and Fire" is probably not a great series for young kids.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the Caroline Kennedy poem book. I have started collecting childrens books for my future classroom, so last night I bought one of the American alphabet books.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
sweetbaboo - I'm reading "Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites" to my 10-year-old daughter, Cayla. She couldn't get into it on her own (this is a girl who has read all the Harry Potter books), but enjoys it when I read it to her. [Big Grin]

Also, both my daughters and I are or have been reading Inkheart and Inkspell - we've been taking turns.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
GoodletHRKL is working on Eldest, the second book by Christopher Paolini. She and a friend went to the used bookstore yesterday looking for King and Card that the collective families didn't already own. [Big Grin] [Blushing]

The little one (we still haven't decided on a screen name for her yet) is working through a series of phonetics books by Jane Moncure. And she picks these out all by herself [Smile] <-proud momma

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading John Stroud's Gate of Ptolemy to my wife, and The Sneetches, Horton Hears a Who, and the Little Critter books are in heavy rotation with my daughter.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My father read Treasure Island to me as a child.

Edit: I also read James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe out loud to my brother when I was eight and he was six.

[ January 21, 2006, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
Little House on the Prairie (and the other Laura Ingalls Wilder books), Anne of Green Gables, all the Harry Potter books, of course (though we make sure they're asleep when the scary parts come up), Little Women, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Narnia books (though they only had patience for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe), A Wrinkle in Time, and a few more I can't remember right now. This is all stuff we read to our five- and three-year-old.

I like this thread - these are all great ideas.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My almost-twelve-year-old is reading A Spell for Chameleon (the first Xanth novel) and loving it. Since she already loves the Pern books, assimilation is well underway. (She disliked the Star Trek book she tried, but I think that will simply require another couple years.)

[Evil]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles at rivka's assimilation joke*

Nathan has been plowing through this series about Owl's - ga-hoolean something or the other - all week. He got three of them for his birthday on Sunday, and read all three before Wednesday, and is finishing up book 5.

He's also - more slowly - going through Ender's Shadow. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
JennaDean, I've only read two of the Tennis Shoes books, and didn't even start at the beginning, but for LDS kids' books, they're pretty darned decent. [Smile]

As for mine, well, her favorite is still Moo, Baa, La La La! She's also really into Pat the Bunny.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest, John, is in 4th grade and we recently read the The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and listened to Gert Fram by our good host. John really liked Gert Fram alot. When John reads alone, he's been reading Dan Gutman's The Kid Who Ran For President, The Kid Who Became President and Million Dollar Shot.

Gert Fram is in Card's collection of short stories called Angles and Other Stories. I would highly recommend the majority of this audio collection for a fourth grade and older audience. The readings are terrific and I marvel at the breadth of imagination and insight in Card's work all over again.

Middle Woman, also from this short story collection, is a classic and I'd love to see it as an illustrated children's book.

Jacob, my youngest, just turned 7 and he loves the Junie B. Jones books. He reads them alone and I read them to him. They are great fun to read out loud.

When I am reading to both boys, lately I've been reading the poem and quote book, It's Not Easy Being Green.

[ January 22, 2006, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: LadyDove ]

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boogashaga
Member # 8881

- posted      Profile for boogashaga   Email boogashaga         Edit/Delete Post 
The Boogashaga children Started out with a series of "Golden Book-type books" from a large supermarket chain here that featured the Disney characters. We went from there to R. L. Stein's children's books. After that, they hit the varoius public libraries near the Boogashaga manse and went through almost everything therein. Daughter version 2.0 (17 years old) has read all of Dan Brown's stuff and is movining through C. S. Lewis currently (Screwtape Letters, I believe). They also did J. R. R. Tolkein (including the Silmarrilian {sp?}). We never did the young LDS stuff. I don't even know if it was available 15-19 years ago. Even if it was, we didn't try. Oh well.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading the boys The Magician's Nephew. The one before that was I Want to Go Home! by Gordon Korman (borrowed from Ophelia).

The boys loved both of them, but Robert would take the Gordon Korman one and read ahead. We all laughed out loud in several places, and it was generally a blast. Dear, sweet Ophelia loaned us a few more of his books, so I guess we'll be reading them before we move on to more Narnia.

Robert is reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as well as a biography of Neil Armstrong for school. Liam is just learning to read well, so he picks up a lot of the smaller books with lots of pictures and puzzles through them. He especially likes the superhero-ish ones.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
A good picture book is Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type . Also, along the same lines, Giggle, Giggle, Quack .
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The boys loved both of them, but Robert would take the Gordon Korman one and read ahead. We all laughed out loud in several places, and it was generally a blast.
That book was a childhood favorite of both my husband's and mine. Since we had very different taste in kids' books in general growing up, I'm going to have to say that it must have some kind of near-universal appeal. [Smile] (Being written by a kid might be part of it.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

For the young ones, all my kids really get a kick out of the Pigeon books by Mo Willems. They started with Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and they have read it so many times that when I saw there were others I grabbed them. The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog is just as funny as the first.

Oh, and all my kids have just about worn out the Sesame Street book, The Monster at the End of This Book. It's hilarious.

I like the suggestion of the Little House books, I think when we finish the Narnia series we'll start those.

And some of us were speaking of The Indian in the Cupboard ... my kids have Lincoln Logs with little plastic cowboys and Native Americans. Invariably the figures get left scattered all over the floor even when all the logs get put away. There's one "Indian" on the floor in the bathroom, it's been stepped on and broken, and I just can't bring myself to throw it away. [Blushing]

sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
JennaDean, yes we are enjoying the Tennis Shoes books. For me (I've only read the first two) they were a quick, fast read. We purchased 5 more books in the series through half.com so my 9 yo could keep going. (*Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have competition for the computer over the weekend)

CaySedai, my daughter didn't start reading them on her own until the middle of the second book when she couldn't stand that I would only read a chapter or two a night and she wanted more...(which is when I did the happy dance that she finally was hooked by something!)

We've also read the City of Ember and the City of Light by Avi.

Has anyone seen the Read-A-Loud Handbook by Jim Trelease? The first half is why reading out loud to your kids is important (backed up with statistics, studies and reading strategies) and the last half are lists and lists of books that are appropriate to read out loud by different ages, with summaries and other similar books (because even though some books are fabulous to read alone, they sound weird/are difficult to read out loud). Anyway, it's been a fabulous resource for me and I thought I'd share.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Amanda (12) wants me to point out that she's reading Discworld books (currently on Reaper Man and Small Gods).
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I say I found this truly amusing?

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
And some of us were speaking of The Indian in the Cupboard ... my kids have Lincoln Logs with little plastic cowboys and Native Americans...

"Mom! We're gonna go outside and play Cowboys and Native Americans!"

[ROFL]

Okay, um, carry on.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*sniff* We always said that growing up. Actually, we said "Cowherders and Native Americans." Because, you know, I am not a boy.

My brother was also fond of the expression "American Government Giver." Someone called him an "Indian giver" once, and once it was explained to him, he said, "Hmph, should be American government giver." And it was, in our family, from then on.

He also corrected his kindergarten teacher when she instructed the class to sit "Indian style" one day. [ROFL]

Okay, so I come from a strange family.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh - I'm gonna have to get the Fairy Dust book for Operaetta to read aloud with her; she'd love it (she has a fairy-decorated room). Maybe for Easter.

Shan, Boy Opera has read some of the Owl series as well - the first 3, I believe.

Has anyone seen the Usborne board books that are titled, "That's not my..." Space Space Baby has the one called That's Not my Puppy and it's adorable.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any kids, but I have to read a short book to K-second graders for my speech class. I will be reading Captain Underpants . It is a cute book and kids at that age always get a kick out of the word "underpants"
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
My six-year-old is really, really into the Encyclopedia Brown books right now. He checked three of them out of the library and read them all within three days or so. He likes reading them first, then having me read them to him to see if I can solve the mysteries; if I can't, he triumphantly explains it to me.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and all my kids have just about worn out the Sesame Street book, The Monster at the End of This Book. It's hilarious.
Sophie too (19mos)! She also loves "Kiss Kiss" Jan Brett's The Mitten and The Gingerbread Baby, There's a Wocket in my Pocket, Sleepy Dog, The A Book, Karen Katz's flap books (Toes, Ears and Nose is the one we have). She really clings to favorite books, but there are always a handful and they seem to change just as we think we couldn't read any more of that book.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Secret Garden to Aerin (4.5 months chronological, 5 weeks adjusted) when she was in the hospital. We read Dr. Seuss, Winnie the Pooh, our Shabbat book, Amelia Bedelia, and Goodnight Moon.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Foot Book

A Cricket in Time Square

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew, 8, is heavily into The Enchanted Forest Chronicles .

Olivia, 6 just got some My Little Pony books that she likes to read. I am reading the Harry Potter books.

Andrew, 3 likes be to read Where is my Cow? by Terry Pratchett, Godzilla Likes to Roar and Bob the Builder books.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

Found a fun series that my kids are enjoying by Jenny Nimmo. The first book is Midnight for Charlie Bone. There are five Charlie Bone books in the series and I would recommend them.

Here's the blerb from the back of Midnight for Charlie Bone. "Charlie doesn't want to believe it when he discovers that he can hear the thoughts of people in photographs. But his horrible aunts are delighted - it means that he is one of the chosen and must attend the Bloor's Acadeny for gifted children. Once there, Charlie realizes that some of his classmates have equally mysterious powers and soon Charlie is involved in uncovering the mysterious past of one of them"

Edit to add:
I also have loved most pictures books by Mark and/or Carolyn Buehner, Taxi Dog, Snowmen at Night, Marvin the Ape, there is one about a witch. They cleverly hide fun things in their illustrations.

Oh and clever illustrations make me think of The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base. Great picture book with visual clues to solve for age 8-adult probably. (My husband and I had fun figuring it all out before we had kids.)

Books are on my mind, does anyone have anything else to add to the list?

[ March 26, 2007, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Besides their school books? Dan is 10 and is working his way through Eragon on his own. Jen frequently reads a bit of Junie B. Jones to Boo, and is working on A Little Princess by herself. Boo loves to look at picture books, especially ones with helicopters, airplanes, trains, animals, or food. He also loves to lay in bed with Daddy and "read" magazines together, discussing the pictures in detail. [Big Grin]

Together, we are reading James and the Giant Peach at "just-came-in-from-playing-and-need-to-calm-down" time, various poetry at after-dinner time, and the Narnia series at bedtime. Unfortunately, Boo doesn't last for more than half a page before he's snoring, but that's okay. [Smile]

That's not counting their school books. There were 11 last time I counted, but the number fluctuates between 8 and 15. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My husband has a copy of James Herriot's Dog Stories that all of us adore listening to him (or sometimes me) read. Especially the ones about a dog named Tricky Woo. There's just such a sense of absurdity, even in the names, that the stories about Tricky Woo appeal to all of us from baby to adult.

In fact, we are enjoying it so much that I am considering checking out All Creatures Great and Small and trying us on installment reading (Emma has such a short attention span that she has hitherto demanded stories that can be told in one sitting. So that means kids' books, and short stories. But I think that a longer memoir with plenty of natural "stopping places" could be a bridge to longer fiction.)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I like how you read your kids poetry. That's so cool!

I had a poetry book when I was a kid. Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses. I loved that book! I even drew a picture of me in orange and wrote my name in really big letters with the same orange crayon like 5 or 6 year olds are wont to do. [Big Grin] I still had it up until I left Canada.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I loved that book growing up too, quid, but my absolute favorite book of poetry was Sing a Song of Popcorn, which I still have and read to my girls. [Smile] Close seconds were Joyful Noise and I Am Phoenix, two books of "Poems for Two Voices" by Paul Fleischman. (He's also the author of one of my all-time favorite historical kids' books, The Borning Room.) My husband and I should read some of those to Emma, I wonder how she'd like that. [Smile] When she gets older we ill definitely read them with her like my daddy did with me, that was such fun as a kid.
Boon
unregistered

We have that very same, exact book, and love it well! It gets lots of off-the-shelf time. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Which one? [Razz] )
Boon
unregistered

The Robert Louis Stevenson one, ya interrupter! [Smile]

One of their school books is James Herriot's Treasury for Children, and they love it.

They also like the D'Aulaire biographies.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, Boon, that looks like a birthday present idea to me! Emma LOVES "aninmals."
Boon
unregistered

Oh yeah, and

*sings*

I got a present, I got a present, and it's all mine and I'm not sharing!!! [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, boy!!! I was gonna ask but then I thought that was harassing you. E-mail me and tell me how you like it. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(And I'll call you tomorrow if you're gonna have time.)
Boon
unregistered

The Treasury is wonderful, KQ, and the illustrations are just...wow. Really.
Boon
unregistered

Yep, I love it, and I'd love to talk to you. The kids have karate and I have to grocery shop in the afternoon, so anytime before 2 would be great. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, I just checked and the new edition of your present goes for $122! [Embarrassed] I guess I did good at the thrift store! I saw it and just couldn't help but get it for you. [Kiss]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.