FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are your kids reading? Or what are you reading to your kids? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What are your kids reading? Or what are you reading to your kids?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm not the only one who read that as a child? Cool! I was the only one in my family... As I recall, I got it one time as a gift (which is unusual in and of itself) because I'd been sick. I think. I know I read it a lot when I was sick in bed.

Funny, but that's the only book I actually recall from back then. I mean, I read a LOT. Starting in kindergarten, I'd go to the library and take out three to five books a day and return them the next day. I read all the time. But I don't remember any except that book of poetry. Oh, and the stoopid Dick and Jane books that were required reading.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
KQ sent me this book, and I'm so excited! Granted, some of the information is out of date, but it's a wonderful resource to add to our library. Thank you, KQ!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Quid, I don't like the Dick and Jane books either. I will say, though, that they were invaluable in giving my daughter the confidence she lacked in beginning reading. Poor kid, up until very recently (like just before Christmas) she was still insisting she couldn't read, even though I knew perfectly well she could, it was just hard for her. So I gave her easier (but still wonderful) books, like the Frog and Toad books and some AA Milne poetry, and she did better. Then she rediscovered the Dick and Jane books and started reading them to Boo when she thought I wasn't paying attention. [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Dick and Jane are great as camp.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Junie B. Jones

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Prydain Chronicles

Half-magic

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was having a total insomniac night and I can't believe that I missed you (KQ, quidscribis and Boon) by less than an hour!

I was going to ask Boon what type of poetry you read to your kids but there were a lot of suggestions, so I'll start with those. Poetry is something that I forget about.

Fun. I really like this thread.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
GoodletHRKL is now on to Pern [Big Grin] She tried Ender's Game but wasn't impressed (yet, I give her 5 years). She said Lost Boys was interesting.

The Mini rediscovered a hardcover omnibus of Winnie the Pooh stories she received from her grampa about 5 years ago and is having fun trying to decode without momma help.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She tried Ender's Game but wasn't impressed (yet, I give her 5 years). She said Lost Boys was interesting.
[Eek!] I'll never forget Lost Boys ... probably never read it again, either! It's one that'll stick with me. I read it as an adult though, and related to the parents. I wonder what it would be like to read it as a child and relate to Stevie?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
How young is too young for any of the Star Wars-verse novels? Are there young adult series in that verse?

My son loves Star Wars, and I want to get him interested in something but I'm afraid he's too young.

I'm taking Young Adult Lit in the summer, and I talked to a friend of mine who showed the syllabus for the class for this semester - (same prof in the summer) and it's awesome. I can't wait. Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy is in there and for your final paper you may write on any young adult series, even if the prof hasn't read it. I'm hoping to be able to write on Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am somewhat mortified to say my oloder twos' current obsession is Pokemon books. Yikes. I make them each pick out one non fluff book every week. I got Matthew The Indespensible calvin and Hobbes for his birthday, which made him very happy.It's also his turn to pick the family read aloud, so we're doing Eragon ( with the caveat that the next book we read is Ender's Game).
Andrew is really obsessed with a picture book called Tickets to Ride, which I am quite sure was written under the influence of psychadelics.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, the Young Jedi Knights series is aimed at about 10-13 year olds. The Junior Jedi Knights series is aimed a little younger but I don't recommend it. Kids who like the "Goosebumps" books may like the "Galaxy of Fear" books (which actually aren't half bad.) There are a whole bunch of other books for even younger kids, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tova will be 7 next month. We finished Flying Flea, Callie and Me, and are reading her That Furball Puppy and Me, to be followed by Chomps, Flea and Gray Cat (That's Me), all by Carol and Bill Wallace.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks kq. I'll wait a while, and see if he's still interested in it when he's older. Or maybe, I could read some of the Young Jedi series to him.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm, they have some relationship stuff that's not great for kids younger than probably 11 or 12 (even though it's not graphic, it will probably be "boring" or "icky.") What's his reading level and how old is he? I could probably recommend some he would like that WOULD be more appropriate.
Belle
Member # 2314

He's six and in first grade but reads several grade levels ahead. he's like my oldest, took to reading like a fish takes to water. It's tough, because they need harder material to read that doesn't have age-inappropriate stuff in it.

He loves poetry. He's read every Dr. Seuss book there is, and has a book of short stories and poems in a volume called "Nightime reading for boys" or something, and reads the poems over and over.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.