FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Irregardless! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Irregardless!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you?

[END OF LINE]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=irregardless
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a word, whoever it is...
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
So, steev, is your point that irregardless "has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so?"

That's just mean. [Wink]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enochville
Member # 8815

- posted      Profile for enochville   Email enochville         Edit/Delete Post 
Another blunder that bugs me is "for all intensive purposes". Hahaha
Posts: 264 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

The word "ignorant" I thought being used incorrectly to mean being rude to someone was a Utah/Idaho thing. But apparently out here on the eastern shore of Maryland/Virginia they use it like that too.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
MEAN GIRLS!
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

Oh, and the word "especially" being pronounced incorrectly as if it had an "x" in it as in "ex-pecially".

That’s really silly.

Steev
Member # 6805

Evidently the word "unthaw" has now become to mean the opposite of its root parts. "un-thaw"

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=unthaw

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a great sketch, notwithstanding the fact that Horatio couldn't stop laughing at himself. As usual...

People do, however, need to figure out how to properly use "myself."

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
*snickers* Unthaw is a synonym of unfreeze now? [Razz]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the word 'literally'.

Which has come to mean 'figuratively' just through the way people use it.

Language is weird.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the unthaw one is just confusing.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a mute point.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Steev:
The word "ignorant" I thought being used incorrectly to mean being rude to someone was a Utah/Idaho thing. But apparently out here on the eastern shore of Maryland/Virginia they use it like that too.

Where on the Eastern Shore? I went to college in Salisbury, parent's live in OC, and fiance is from a town near Centerville. I'm a chicken necker myself.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's a moo point.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Weather or not the ground is going to literally unthaw is a mute point. Expecially since it's going to snow irregardless of what we say or do.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That should be "or due."

Gee whiz.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Oh, how I want to go back and edit that post now...

[Big Grin]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Help! Help! I'm being chased by an Ask Murderer!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

An Ask! That's the urban question weapon of choice.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by enochville:
Another blunder that bugs me is "for all intensive purposes". Hahaha

*rips hair out*
[Wall Bash] [Wink]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Nobody has addressed the question that I started this thread with.

Does anybody know who Irregardless is? Is (s)he an alt for an older member? I'm thinking (s)he is, but I'm not positive.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My grammar irritation is that people can't seem to understand that an object (him, her, me, us) is still an object when preceeded by the word "and". It drives I crazy!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been particularly fond of "I could care less." I also get that queasy feeling every time I hear "bug" used as an intransitive verb. And I think "definately" may be my least favorite misspelling, in part because I fear it will become an accepted variant.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Porter, the more intensely you pursue the question, the more intensely it will be derailed. That leads me to believe that somebody doesn't want it answered.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

One thing that makes me shudder is when people use acronyms and still add on the word that one of the letters in the acronym represents. For example:

NIC: Network interface card
People say NIC card all the time. Network interface card... card?

VIN: Vehicle identification number
People say VIN number all the time when VIN number is: Vehicle identification number... number?

MIL: Malfunction indicator light
MIL light?

CVT: Continuously variable transmission
CVT transmission?

get the idea?

grrrrr

People drive me nuts.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Add to that list:

ATM Machine (I've seen so many signs that say this...drives me INSANE!)
PIN number

I worked for a credit union for a while, organizing old files of correspondence. One letter included the following:

Please change my PIN Number # to XXXX.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

When the acronym becomes a word, people stop thinking about what it stands for. And you’ve got to admit, “PIN number” and “ATM machine” are less technical sounding and much more self-explanatory. It’s all part of not confusing Grandma. “The ATM will prompt you for your PIN.” What’s an ATM? Is that the new word for the bank teller? And is a PIN something I should have in my purse?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

I admit nothing, other than the fact that "ATM machine" is like nails on a chalkboard for me. [Big Grin]

Maybe it's all part of not confusing Grandma, but that doesn't mean it doesn't drive me insane.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

That's the sort of thing that would normally bother me, but in this case it doesn't for some reason.

ATM machine and PIN number, even though they're redundant, are alright with me.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

I hear ya, Megan.

My own personal chalkboard scraper: when somebody says “6 a.m. in the morning.” That definately bugs.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
*ack*
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Opps sorry Pops
Megan
Member # 5290

Yeah, that's obnoxious, too. I guess everyone's got their personal grammatical bugbears.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Just a little jarring for me to see that before 10 a.m. in the morning is all.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I don't like where this is heading.
Nick
Member # 4311

I could care less.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Supposably the repitition of information makes communication clearer.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Supposably the repitition of information makes communication clearer.
Megan
Member # 5290

*twitches*
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I have no idea what you are saying, Papa.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Irregardless is mph. I'll repeat that if you think it'll make it clearer.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this thread should be renamed the "I hate tunafish and redundancy and tunafish thread."

I've always been irked by graemlins, and to a lesser extent, using asterisks to mark some kind of emote, like this:

*ducks, covers, and waits whimpering for the inevitable slew of graemlins and emotes*

Also, the word irk. Man, that's bothersome.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

And people with the letter 'x' in their screenname.

Man, that really sticks in my claw. [Smile]

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Like the word 'literally'.

Which has come to mean 'figuratively' just through the way people use it.

Actually, it hasn't. The other meaning of "literally" is confined to hyperbolic uses.

Also: there's nothing wrong with "ATM machine" or "PIN number" (especially now than non-numeric PINs are common), any more than there's anything wrong with "the almanac." (Or "the alcohol," "the hoi polloi," or "the Rio Grande River," among many other examples.)

Edited to add: and "I should care less" is a sarcastic idiom, and not the least bit problematic. (See also: the even less logical "head over heels.")

Edited again to note that I meant to type "I could care less." Oops.

[ January 25, 2006, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Shmuel ]

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
"hot water heater"

Why do you need to heat the water if it's already hot?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
"Edited to add: and "I should care less" is a sarcastic idiom, and not the least bit problematic."

Except when "I could care less" isn't being said sarcastically, and the person saying it doesn't even realize it should be "I couldn't care less."

The only acronyms that bother me are the ones with profanity in them that become so accepted that anyone will say them anywhere. It really drove me crazy when President Clinton used the word "SNAFU" in one of his televised speeches.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my pet peeve: grocery express checkout lanes reading "10 items or fewer." Too fussy; "less" is a perfectly respectable modifier. (On the other hand, "10 items or less" satisfies me but horrifies those of the Miss Thistlebottom persuasion. "Up to 10 items" can be construed as imposing a limit of 9. The only safe choice may be "no more than 10 items," which is too wordy. The solution? Abolish express lanes. They're not very useful anyway.)
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.