FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why Am I Constantly Clashing With Vietnam-era Men?

Author Topic: Why Am I Constantly Clashing With Vietnam-era Men?
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about 8 years too young to have experienced Easy Rider, Kent State, sit-ins, and Vietnam, but all of my bosses, a few of my cousins, two of my brothers in-law, and most of my church leaders have been from that era. I've only been able to get along with two of them.

My inability to get along with males of that era goes clear back to my childhood: my cousins were always nasty to me when I wanted to play Lionel trains with them.

The clashes usually arise from me telling them something that they already know or telling them something that they know that they should know but don't or my expressing any kind of opinion. They just can't blow it off. They also have a tendancy to want to micromanage me or to give me fatherly lectures.

I've seen these same guys give other guys my age the same business. Guys slightly younger than me don't seem to have a problem at all.

So what is the problem? Did these guys inhale too much agent orange, or do I do it to myself by automatically casting myself into a father/son relationship when I encounter one of these guys?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe try greeting them with, "Semper Fi"?

Seriously though, my dad and my uncles were all in Vietnam. They hated the fact that they were going, they hated being there and they hated the guys that got to skate on the duty.

Many of the guys who were just slightly too young for the draft were the ones spitting on them and judging them when they came home.

Being female, I tend to get the fatherly act from all men this age and older. So the Vietnam age guys are not unique in this in my experience. But since I was never even close to being a candidate for the war effort, my experience may be different than yours.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.