FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Sins of the Court (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Sins of the Court
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
What did the Hatrack Supreme Court do Wrong? Send in your responses now.

[ January 26, 2006, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess the sin of wrath, for I felt a terrible anger burning in my belly when I saw that you'd misspelled Confessional.

Oh, and the sin of hummer-sexiality.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
You are forgivin my child, go in peace.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

My children remember that absolution is truly a reward unto itself.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I am watching The Pagemaster .
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

.....You are forgivin my child, are there any other sins you would like to confess?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess to the sin of starting multiple pointlessly self-indulgent threads which cast myself in an imagined position of authority and/or superiority, instead of just participating in any one of the actual discussions as an equal member.

Oh wait, that isn't MY sin. Oops.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
*snicker*

E - you's awright.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I confess to the sin of starting multiple pointlessly self-indulgent threads which cast myself in an imagined position of authority and/or superiority, instead of just participating in any one of the actual discussions as an equal member.

Oh wait, that isn't MY sin. Oops.

But hark! Whose sin, then, could it be?! And why hasn't Hatrack been largely ignoring said threads, resulting in most (if not all) of the posts coming from primarily 1 or 2 members?!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Yes my child, I was once guilty of such sins, that is why I have choosen to renounce such things and seek to help others.

Is that such a horrible thing, to wish to make up for my sins?

By listening to others sins perhaps I can aid them by telling them of my own.

And you are forgivin my child for your hatred, perhaps you can learn from my mistakes.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Yes my child, I was once guilty of such sins, that is why I have choosen to renounce such things and seek to help others.
This thread's very existence says otherwise.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

.....You have no respect for anyones faith, fo you?
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
.....You have no respect for anyones faith, fo you?
...sometimes, I wonder if you think about what you're saying before you say it.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Except this has nothing to do with religion and you, most likely, are not a minister of any faith.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

And the pitch flies right over Advent's head once again, but erosomniac hits it out of the park!

And incidentally, this isn't even close to hatred. This is bemused disdain and snark.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't see what any of this has to do with Christ. Or why you feel that you have the power and responsibilty of forgiving someone of their sins.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
You're really the anti-christ aren't you? Or are you really Osama Bin Ladin?
[Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

I wash my hands of this.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

I must call the CIA and inform them that I've located you, you have fallen for my trap Osama!

Haha! (Bruce Willis better pay up).

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
What I don't get is why he keeps saying other people are forgivin' his kid for something or other. What did his child do to them? It is nice to know that your children have good memorization skills, Advent, but I don't get why they need forgiven every time someone says something in here.
Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
What the heck? Why would you change the title and first post now??

Wait. You know what? I don't want to know.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Thats right, walk away while you still can.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably the lowest trick in the book, for whatever reason. Not sure what your purpose is here, but usually when someone edits the original post completely, it's to recast all the latter posts in that light and vindicate themself. Nobody's fooled by it.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Well heck, now I'm curious what the original post said. Morbidly curious I suppose.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at me!
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
What did the Hatrack Supreme Court do Wrong? Send in your responses now.

Okay, since I was one of the ones being snarky here I'll step up to try to explain. If you seriously want to understand why everybody is so flippant to your threads, I recommend calming down a bit and lurking for a while. Go read some threads. There's some fluff, there's some serious debate, there's some inbetween. Actually read other people's posts.

Take a deep breath and try NOT starting a new thread every time you have an idea. Participate in a discussion. Don't always try to be a judge, or a lawmaker, or an absolver of sins. Don't try to dominate the discussion. Just discuss.

There's nothing wrong with a silly thread like this... but stop taking it so seriously! There are plenty of threads where we play around. Come play with us. We don't bite. Hard. Except when we do! [Big Grin]

--Enigmatic

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww, bite me! But not hard, please.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

That may be true, but I type faster than I think (or is that talk before I think).
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
See the Add Reply button? Don't use it until you have thought about your post.

I write many posts that are never seen by anyone but me. Not every post that is written must be posted.

And if you realize AFTER you've posted that you probably should not have, you know where the edit/delete option is. (Just don't go deleting threads (which happens if you delete the first post) willy-nilly, as it annoys many folks around here.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"I write many posts that are never seen by anyone but me. Not every post that is written must be posted."

That's good advice. I could use that in real life. Except, substitute speaking for posting.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually did that with this thread. In fact, I could do it with this post. But that would defeat the entire point of this post. And I'm aiming to reach 1000 posts before I graduate, so every little one counts, right? [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty sure that deleting posts does not decrease your post count, so you don't have to worry about that!
Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I know it doesn't. I've tested it out. hehe. But erasing them before they've been posted ... ummm ... stagnates my post count. And hey, sarcare, since I'm in another derailing mood, I'm thinking about attempting a double major in History and Marketing. Does that sound completely outrageous?
sarcare
Member # 8736

no it sounds like a good idea. If you have a scholarship that is paying for school, I see no reason to rush out, and that combination will show prospective employers that you are well rounded, and that you are good with a variety of types of information. It will help your writing skills, and I think will be fun as well.

I still recomend language training as absolutely important, I know cause I didn't do it enough and now I am suffering for it. Get more then the minimum language training, go to the country and learn even more.

A high school friend of mine had an internship in London while she was in college, which was apparently very fun. I had an internship in a museum in D.C. for a semester, and there are lots of interesting opportunities that you can create in college. It is just so much fun *yippie for college*

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Just out of curiousity, if you had to recommend a language, which would it be?
sarcare
Member # 8736

I like German, even though I am currently cursing it. But it depends on what you are interested in, don't learn a language just because it would be profitable, but don't discount that factor. If you want to travel or work in international business choose one that would be helpful. Spanish, French, German tend to be taught every quarter at even the smallest schools, but Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Italian, or any number of languages might prove useful or interesting.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or are these threads growing like fungus? Rather self-absorbed fungus?
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Hey! We have a nice derail going on here. Do you have anything to add on a helpful language to learn? I was thinking Arabic would be good seeing as how I could get a job in the government pretty easily. But I don't particularly enjoy the language or the culture, so it might not be a good idea.
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Klingon an option?
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I think Elvish is more of a developed language, from the research I've done. At least, I've been able to find a reasonably comprehensive Elvish dictionary while only sketchy Klingon dictionaries. And I should say, I'm referring to Tolkien Elvish, and that I'm a much bigger LOTR fan than Star Trek fan.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Dr. Strangelove. Both of Tolkein's Elvish languages are cool, although only one of them was anywhere near fully developed if I remember correctly.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Language? Java is always useful.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Swampjedi:
Language? Java is always useful.

To heck with that. C++ is so much cooler, or maybe python.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

C++ is outdated, but still useful. Python is pretty cool, though.

Java though... you can do well with Java.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
C++ is outdated, but still useful. Python is pretty cool, though.

Java though... you can do well with Java.

Oh brother. Not ANOTHER one of you high level types.

C++ is not outdated. C/C++ is still used for almost ALL high powered applications. Java is too slow for them. Its nice for cross platform stuff that doesn't require much in the way of power, speed or efficiency, but for anything else C++ is the way to go.

Python's a great scripting language. But that's all it is, a scripting language. It is NOT for writing high speed or efficient code intended for powerful programs. Its a great scripting add on to C/C++ programs though.

But dude... if you want a really good language...

...Assembly is totally the way to go [Evil Laugh]

*runs*

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

Preaching to the choir, Alcon. I know all these things. [Smile]

Java will get you a job, fast. Java jobs are increasing rapidly. C, not so much.

Believe it or not, I have to learn Ada for the job I'm taking.

And hey, I love assembler. I wrote a Pong clone for the NES (emulated) in pure 6502 assembler.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon: surprisingly enough, there's lots of python numeric code that benchmarks nearly as fast as a pure C++ implementation, and is much easier to write, due to efficiently implemented libraries. Its also used quite popularly for writing very large applications; the notion of a "scripting language" has mostly disappeared with modern languages, beyond that there are some languages clearly not useful for scripting; those languages that are useful for scripting tend to be powerful enough for many other uses. Even many programs with a C++ core and python capabilities aren't using it for just scripting -- they're writing a few core libraries in C++ then writing the app itself in python.

As for C++ running almost all high powered applications, considering a significant portion of all web application infrastructure runs java, that's something of a definition game at best. For by far most purposes, its plenty fast, more than powerful enough (it certainly has much better high level libraries than C++ does), and sufficiently efficient. It often benchmarks at only two or three times slower than C++ apps, with much, much faster development times; most of the perceived slowness is due to implementation issues with the GUI libraries.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, Fugu, 2 to 3 times slower is A LOT slower. And yes there are some libraries, where if you write the program just right, it just about matches C++. But on the whole Java is much slower than C++. And it doesn't have pointers or low level memory handling. And that I cannot forgive. It is too high level. Python has the same problem. Put pointers in Java... heh, and it'll become C++ [Razz] So I stand by what I said: Java is wonderful for things needing to be cross platform (IE web) and things that need quick development but not a whole lot of speed or memory efficiency. But you wanna write a good efficient program, write it in C++.

quote:
Java will get you a job, fast. Java jobs are increasing rapidly. C, not so much.

Believe it or not, I have to learn Ada for the job I'm taking.

Damn fads [Wink] My condolences on having to learn Ada... good heavens. Good luck with it.

quote:

And hey, I love assembler. I wrote a Pong clone for the NES (emulated) in pure 6502 assembler.

Nice [Smile] *approves*
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my profs once said (speaking of C, not C++)
"C combines all the power and flexibility of assembly language, with all the intuitiveness and ease of use of assembly language."

I don't program, I hack (in the denigrating sense), and I only use Matlab.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
In the commercial world, it's almost always better to double your server specs (not that you'd actually have to double the server specs to make up for any C++ speed advantage) and halve (or better) development time by using a high level language.

Especially when you consider the cost of developing future versions.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, two to three times slower is not a lot. Also, web does not mean cross-platform, almost all those java server applications are run on Linux machines; the benefit isn't from being cross-platform, its from the huge supplies of killer web application libraries that C++ doesn't have anything near good enough for.

Amusingly enough, C# has a similar slowdown to java -- guess what language MS is using as a primary development language for their next generation OS? I mean, the version of Office for Longhorn is being written in C#.

edit: not to mention that, that speed difference is for a well written C++ app versus a well written Java app. That java app will take three to five times less time to write and have fewer bugs, particularly fewer exploitable bugs; one can then take more time to ensure the app is bug free and efficient. C++ apps turned out in a similar period of time will often be slower because they weren't written as well with as much time to spend on code checking.

[ January 27, 2006, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.