FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Yay, blackout. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yay, blackout.
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Tat, first off, unless NO is on a delta circuit, only one phase goes into a residential type building. It may be delta, but most systems are wye connected. If it is Delta, and one phase is out, she should have no power. If it's wye connected, then partial power is usually from a bad connection.

I'm an engineer at the utility, this is exactly the type of thing I investigate.

In most wye systems, the bad connection is found in the customer's panel box - it's not the fuses blowing, it's something flat failing in the box.

Odds are, a transformer failure won't give partial power, although a poor connection on the transformer could. But it's hard for there to be a problem in the windings that would only cause a partial loss of power. It does happen, just unlikely.

Best place to look for this type of situation is at the entrance (meter), but it's not the type of place you want to go digging around unprepared, and especially not drunk. [Wink]

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
We have 120/208 wye at our office, and we lost a phase not that long ago.

NO has all kinds of configurations, too. Could even be open delta.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
We just lost all the power again.

This gets my vote for worst weekend ever.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Power to the People! Power to the People!
Power to the People! Power to the People!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Power is back on, but who knows how long it'll last? So I took a shower in case I don't get to tomorrow. And I'm making pasta.

Do you think my orange juice is still good? I'm really thirsty, and I'm almost out of soda.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Taste it. If it is sour and fizzy, probably spoilt. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Or, you could drink water.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The tap water here is...questionable.

I have skim milk and orange juice. The skim milk is bad, I'm sure. The orange juice tastes...kind of funny.

I found an old cup of Diet Coke from Rally's...

-pH

smitty
Member # 8855

JT, 120/208 is a completely different config than the 120/240 to most residentials. 120/208 uses all three phases (Open Delta primary is possible with two) There, you lose a phase, you have trouble. Most residentials are phase to neutral connections. There are 120/240 three phase connections, but would be pointless in a residential - there's only one 120V circuit. In a 120/208 there's three, but sometimes your 240V stuff can act... funny.

pH, glad you got power back! You need to get the city back in order before I get there!

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
smitty, we lost a phase and had only half power to our building, once, too, and once in our house. I'm always glad to learn more about this stuff, though, and you sound like you have seen a lot more applications than I. Could you find or post a wiring diagram to illustrate what you mean? I'm trying to picture what you are saying, and making sketches left and right. [Wink]

pH, did the power to your fridge and stove ever come back on?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Ugh.... Tat, I did a little looking, and didn't see anything. I can't even find my wicked-slick GE manual, hoping it would have a web page. There are plenty of books for sale on the subject... ugh again.

If this thread is anywhere in the first few pages when I return, I'll see if I can't scan and post some pictures.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the difference between 120/208 and 120/240, I was just saying that losing a phase is not uncommon. Although I agree with you that most times it happens at the panelboard or service entrance and not at the transformer.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

oh, gotcha JT. Lost phases aren't near as much fun as loose neutrals... the 240 stays solid, but the two 120's go up and down. Can create some pretty nasty situations.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

See, I'm glad to know this, because I have no idea what is most likely, only what's theoretically possible. That's where experience with fixing these same type problems comes in handy.

Still, half her power was gone, and then came back. So what do you think happened? It still sounds to me like she lost a phase.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Teshi, did you figure out your power problem in the bathroom?
pH
Member # 1350

The stove works, but the fridge does not. I think I'm just going to go buy a bunch of fuses of various amperages and replace everything.

Gah, fuses. What is this, the Dark Ages?

-pH

smitty
Member # 8855

[Frown] Sorry, pH
pH
Member # 1350

[Mad] I thought I bought the right kinds of fuses, but apparently I didn't. Because the 20amp fuse doesn't fit where the 20amp fuse is supposed to go. The 30amp one fits there, instead.

And even though I replaced the one that was labeled "refrigerator," the fridge still won't turn on.

[Wall Bash]

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Call your landlord (I remember who your landlord is) and tell him you need an electrician to come look at your condo.

Where's the engineer boyfriend through all of this?

pH
Member # 1350

I'm going to call the condo association if this doesn't fix itself soon.

The boyfriend is at work. Oh, trust me. He has heard ALL about how the universe is plotting against me, what the hell, I do not live in a third world country, I need my ginger ale chilled. He's supposed to come over tonight and make it go.

-pH

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really surprised that the condo association doesn't have a 24-hour emergency numberfor this sort of thing. And is maintenance of the fusebox supposed to be tenant responsibility?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The condo association is supposed to handle the structure. Basically, I'm in charge of what happens to everything from the inside surfaces onward. Which means that windows and such are iffy. Plumbing and electrical SHOULD be handled by the condo people, as far as I know, but I'm not entirely certain on that one. I'm going to do as much as I can without attempting to involve them, though.

-pH

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I once saw the entire village of Lake Placid lose one phase, so it's not out of the question. I don't know how common though.

I'd try to leave the air contidioner off, because it's really a luxury, whereas the refrigerator is more of a necessity. Also, refigerators generally operate at lower load levels, and on 120 single phase. My first temptation would be to try running the refrigerator off of another outlet, but turning off any lights or appliances that are unnecessary.

I'm thinking the buzzing may be coming from the neutral line, which usually sees little or no load. The neutral only carries a load if the phases are out of balance, which it would definitely be if one phase is out.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Apparently, no one else is having this refrigerator problem. The refrigerator will be tested in another outlet as soon as SOMEONE arrives who is strong enough to move the thing, as it has its own recess in the wall and probably weighs like eight times as much as I do. *shoots meaningful looks in the appropriate direction*

The air conditioner is probably going to stay on, if for no other reason than it's not central, and I want to know what to expect for the summer in terms of effectiveness. I'm not sure I like this thing.

I switched the fuses. It didn't help. Fortunately, I also bought a TON of Lysol air deoderizer and other such products so that my kitchen no longer smells like a rotting hyena covered in sewage.

-pH

Tatiana
Member # 6776

How many 220V outlets do you have? (Is your fridge 220V?) Mine I would have to lug downstairs to the dryer outlet. Not sure that would be worth it. Instead you might want to take a multimeter and test the outlet and see if it's hot.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
You could just get an extension cord for the refrigerator. I've never heard of a consumer style refrigerator that takes more than 120V.

I don't understand your reasoning for keeping the air conditioner on.

I can't parse all the iterations discussed here. Is it more than just the fuses in your apartment? Does the blackout extend beyond your building?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

You don't understand my reasoning for leaving the air conditioner on? I live in Louisiana. I'll probably never need a heater, and I like my house to be in the 60's. So unless it's rather cool out and I feel like leaving a window open (which I don't because the only window in the living room makes it very, VERY easy to break in), I'm going to be running the air conditioner.

Well, as it turns out, an extension cord was not necessary. The boyfriend came over and played with the fuses or something, and it started working again. I guess he has the magic touch.

So I still have no idea what voltage my refrigerator is. Hopefully, I'll never need to know. At least, not under these circumstances.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

pssst....your refrigerator plugs into a regular outlet, aka 120 volts. Just in case you want to impress someone with that later.
pH
Member # 1350

Did my grape jelly go bad?

-pH

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Try it and let us know!

But seriously, unless you see a mold growing on it, probably not. Preserves are designed not to spoil. That's how they got their name.

pH
Member # 1350

The power just went out again.

-pH

airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry dude. I'd make it better, but [Dont Know]
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The power was back on when I woke up, and it just went out AGAIN!

Yaaaaaaaay.

-pH

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, any chance the current outage is related to the tornados I just saw on my newspaper's homepage?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

...tornados?

*eyes the sunny and calm outdoors*

-pH

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you also had it checked by a certified electrician, to see whether there was failure that could be dangerous.

We had a similar thing happen last year to our home (on an old, rural line), when suddenly have my house lost power. I checked the breakers and re-set them. Power would come on for a little while, then go back off again.

Called out a professional electrician and it turned out that at a joint where the lines came from the pole, and were spliced to have some power go to our outbuilding, and some feed into our breakbox from the outside -- that joint was seriously overheating. When it would get too hot, it would pull apart and we would lose power, then as it cooled, it would come back on. But there was serious burn at that junction on the side of the house.

Could have easily become a fire if I hadn't had it checked.
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The thing is, it's definitely happening to everyone else in this building, if not everyone else on the block.

I realized this morning that there is a power line dangling down right next the driveway out of our parking lot. [Eek!]

But power is back on.

-pH

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.