FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do your own frigging homework! (a rant about freecycle) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do your own frigging homework! (a rant about freecycle)
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody posted a while ago on freecycle, asking for help writing an essay. The lady has been out of school for 10 years but is now trying to finish high school. She says she didn't do well in English back then, and has no idea how to do her assignment.

I sent her an email (my first mistake). I said that I think essays are fun and that I'd be happy to help her. Oops.

Her assignment is a pretty standard persuasive essay (though it's not called that in the assignment) telling her to either agree or disagree with a provided passage and write a standare five paragraph essay. I sent her this link and asked her exactly what kind of help she needed.

She replies with "I'm just lost. I don't even know where to begin." So I say, "Okay, well first you have to decide what the main point of the essay (the one in the assignment) was. What was the main point the writer wanted the reader (you) to agree with?"

She says, "Okay, thanks for nothing."

Now, I think I'm being nice, trying to help her learn what she needs to know to complete her assignment. I also think she's trying really hard to get me to write it for her, which I won't do.

Grrr.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, I get those sometimes when I'm tutoring. "I'm really tired, I just finished playing basketball, can you just tell me the answer?" "Will you tell me how to word it?" "What should I say for the first sentence?" "I'm in a hurry, I have lots of homework! Please hurry up!"

I have to say "I'm sorry, I can't do the work for you or tell you the answers, but I can work with you to help you come up with the answers yourself. You're very smart and I know you can do this. Why don't you just look at it and try? We would go much faster if you would make a real effort to work on what's assigned. Why not listen to the questions I'm asking and try your best to come up with some answers? I know you can." etc. etc.

Sometimes it's like pulling teeth. [Smile] You have to not let them bully you into doing the work, because some of them definitely will try.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, when I was in school, some kids thought that since I was the "smart one" I would give them the answers. Since this was elementary school when it started, I took it literally when they asked for help. It was amazing how little help these kids wanted when they discovered that I wouldn't give them the answers.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My lab partner in honors chemistry in high school was this bitchy, airhead actress chick who was in some soap opera and some movie with Hilary Duff and thought she was the best thing since sliced bread. I remember one day, I'd never even SPOKEN to her before, and she came up to me, gave me a hug, asked me how my summer was, and before I could even get an, "Excuse me, who the heck are you?" out, proceeded to prattle on about how she went on tour with Britney Spears. She never did any work because she'd pout at the boys until they did it for her.

I was used to the normal lab partner arrangement. As the "smart one," I do all the actual thought while my lab partner does set-up and clean up and stuff.

This girl wouldn't do ANYTHING. She just expected me to give her the answers, and she wouldn't contribute anything. She'd leave the classroom when it was time for clean up so that I had to do it all myself. My teacher figured out pretty quickly what was going on and started assigning us separate grades, though.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this thread brings back some bad memories. All those people mad at me cause I wouldn't let them copy my answers.

*twitch*

I sympathize, Boon.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I've been on both sides of this, though usually the other side is just me asking to borrow notes. Which is only a lesser sin.

On the other hand, when I do tutoring, I set a pretty firm policy: I ask which problems they have trouble with. I set up a similar problem, with a few key differences to think through. I walk them through my made-up problem. Then I hand them theirs and ask them to think it out and I'd explain things but not tell them what to do.

Luckily, I've tutored only fairly smart, intellectually ambitious kids, and they liked that style of teaching.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least they want something that occasionally is free?

This showed up on my freecycle list the other week:

"WANTED: Bulletin Board, Diamond Earrings or Necklace
Also, need something to complement my tennis bracelet (not picky, as long as it's at least 1/2 karat)."

I about fell out of my chair in shock.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was tutoring, people were always pulling the "just tell me the answer" thing on me. After awhile, my stock line was, "Nobody gave me the answers when I took the class [tutors were required to have taken the courses they tutored and to have received an A or B grade in them], so will you explain to me why I should give you the answer?" That usually nipped the problem in the bud. But I had one student who was so adamant, repeatedly, that it was my job to give her the answers to her homework, that I finally just started telling her, "I don't know, and even if I did I wouldn't tell you" when she directly asked for an answer. Of course, she complained. I don't know how far up the chain of command she took it, but I never heard anything back about it and I do know that my immediate superiors told her that it wasn't my job to do her homework for her.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, no one asks for my homework [Frown] I feel slightly offended now [Frown]
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually surprised they let something like that on the list. The chances for plagerism are pretty high. Nuts.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*looks at the situations...*

*ROFL* [ROFL] [Laugh] [No No]

rofl.

I got paid to do other people's essays, they gave me their work book and I got between 20-50$ per essay I was told they got good marks [Smile] .

Since I'm in Computer Sience I rarely get enough essays invovling things I like ex: history. This girl named Sam needed help so she paid me to write it, I liked doing it and got moeny for it.

So your all missing out on this one in a life time cash crop.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were you, I would not admit to any such thing under my full name. It is extremely unethical.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
If I were you, I would not admit to any such thing under my full name. It is extremely unethical.
*your* full name [Wink]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, he has it right, you have it wrong.

He said, "If I were you," so the rest of the sentence is speaking from his perspective.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kitsune, can I see how you did number 43? I was totally confused by that one.

When I was in high school I got a job in a fast food place and had a manager who was in college. I wrote a couple of essays for her, simply because I was excited at the idea of doing college level work and getting good marks on it. The novelty wore off after the second essay, though, and I stopped helping her.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I think not actually doing something unethical is generally more important than not admitting it.

Blayne - Would you get mad if someone called you a fraud? What if they called you a liar? By selling those papers, you are making both accusations true.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And I'ld say "your momma" in responce to those accusations should some1 call me those and let it drop. No one's asked me to do any for a while now and "in for a penny and in for a pound" alot of stuff I do is technically "unethical" So it really doesn't matter. Its impossible that anyone would care enough to try to get me in trouble for it. Besides they were fun to do and excersized my mind, I put alot of work into doing a good job I have no regrets.
pH
Member # 1350

Blayne, that's total crap.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Besides they were fun to do and excersized my mind, I put alot of work into doing a good job I have no regrets.

Hmm. Too bad they didn't exercise the mind of the person receiving the grade.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Fraud or a liar? Not really, he's pretty honest about it.

EDIT - although, I hope the writing is better than what you post here.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

To us, maybe. Not to the teachers that assign and read the work. Or anyone else who reads the essay and takes it as being the work of the person who paid for it. Or anyone that student submits his or her grades to (such as colleges or potential employers).

quote:
No one's asked me to do any for a while now and "in for a penny and in for a pound" alot of stuff I do is technically "unethical" So it really doesn't matter.

This doesn't follow.

quote:
Its impossible that anyone would care enough to try to get me in trouble for it.
And this is completely irrelevant. Lack of punishment has nothing to do with morality.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Besides they were fun to do and excersized my mind, I put alot of work into doing a good job I have no regrets.
I can't decide if that's supposed to be 'exercised' or 'exorcised'. Either way, I don't see any evidence that it worked.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

Hmm. Too bad they didn't exercise the mind of the person receiving the grade.
They learned a valuable lesson.

Someone will always be willing to do what you are not willing to do yourself and anything can be bought.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

Thanks, Noemon, haha

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
EDIT - although, I hope the writing is better than what you post here.

Ouch, Blayne, do you need a bandaid?

When I was a freshman, my math teacher's TA filled in my missing homework assignments. He wanted to go out with me in return, though. I said no thanks, kay, bye!

I copy math homework all the time though.. 'cause math homework is cruel and unusual punishment!

Though I heard of people write essays for others, I never heard anyone I knew personally doing that. I mean, isn't the style of writing different for everyone? If the teacher can't notice the difference, that teacher seriously needs to get to know his/her students better.. or he/she needs to start reading the essays.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was a freshman, my math teacher's TA filled in my missing homework assignments. He wanted to go out with me in return, though. I said no thanks, kay, bye!
So in fact, you not only bought your way out of homework, you didn't pay up? That is if anything even more disgusting.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting way of looking at it, KoM. It could only be considered her not paying up if she agreed to the terms beforehand. It is not clear from her post that that was the case. If she did not, then your statement is irrelevent.

I still think it's a bad idea no matter what. You don't learn by having over people do your homework for you.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, with math homework especially it's incredibly nice to have the answers at your disposal while you're doing the problem. So I wouldn't consider a tutor giving someone the answer and then working backwards with them so that they can get it themselves "doing someone's homework for them". Because, for example, if I don't understand a problem correctly and answer incorrectly and then don't get the homework back for a week chances are what we learned in that week was based on what I didn't understand, and I'm in twice as much trouble.

It makes me so angry when teachers go out of their way to assign the even number problems (the odd ones being in the back of the book). Because in order to recieve credit we have to show our work, so giving us the answers isn't going to let us cheat, and it really helps us learn. Which is, you know, what we're in college to do.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Except figuring it out by reverse engineering is NOT the same as actually figuring out what to do.

If you want to be sure you are doing them right, many textbooks have an optional solution guide that'll walk you through similar sample problems.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do your own frigging homework!
Ah, memories.

-Perelandra

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
So in fact, you not only bought your way out of homework, you didn't pay up? That is if anything even more disgusting.
I never said I'd do anything with him. I was actually joking when I told him to "hook it up, dude!" He said that he'll think about it. At the end of the week, my teacher said all my assignments were cleared. I thanked the guy, and he asked me out. I said, "nah dude it's okay".

He always threatened to change my (legitimate) scores, though, whenever I teased him or didn't go along with his views on something.

And I'm not disgusting.

King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, it does seem that your sin in this case os a sin of omission. But copying other people's math solutions is indeed disgusting.
pH
Member # 1350

Joking around like, "Hook it up, dude" isn't the same as asking him to do it.

I'm really glad I'm not held to the various things I say in jest.

-pH

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Except figuring it out by reverse engineering is NOT the same as actually figuring out what to do.

If you want to be sure you are doing them right, many textbooks have an optional solution guide that'll walk you through similar sample problems.

Not only that, but there's nothing stopping a student from doing the odd numbered problems themselves if they need a few practice problems where the answer is known. If I were a math teacher, having to grade dozens of students' work on a daily basis, I'd probably assign only the even numbered problems too. For those problems, if you got the answer, it's likely you knew how to do the problem. If you got a wrong answer, then I could check your work to find your mistake and show it to you. Sounds like a perfectly valid way for a teacher to make efficient use of his or her time to me.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
In high school calc, my teacher would assign more or less only the problems that had the answers, for the reasons blacwolve listed. Getting the right answer to the problem wasn't even worth anything without the work. Knowing, for example, that x=3 doesn't help you work backwords in the problem unless you already have some idea on how to do it already. If that helps me learn the process better, what's the harm in that? Not only that, but with the answers there to check, I won't go through the whole assignment mistakenly doing it wrong, and getting set in my mind an incorrect process.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But copying other people's math solutions is indeed disgusting.
I think this extremely melodramatic.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Indeed? Which part of cheating do you consider acceptable?
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Copying math homework is no more or less reprehensible than plagiarizing an essay, it's just easier to get away with. As to morality...

Situation. An acquaintance offers me $20 to write an essay on the topic of (eg) Shakesperian sonnets. I am not told that the person has an assignment that matches the topic, and I ask no questions. I do the essay, get my silver, and go home. My acquaintance now turns in the essay with his name on it and gets a grade. Clearly the acquaintance has done something wrong, but have I?
Now change it. I know of the existance of the assignment, but I don't know he intends to turn in my work as his own. Now am I in the wrong? Where does culpability begin?

As engineering students, I and my fellows were strongly encouraged to work together. I do not consider this plagiarism, because it was not a case of one person does an assignment, then someone else copies the work. We did the work together, side-by-side, all of us contributing and checking each other's work. To my mind this is akin to discussing ideas in an essay and proofreading, rather than having someone else do an essay in one's place.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

quote:
Well, it does seem that your sin in this case os a sin of omission. But copying other people's math solutions is indeed disgusting.

Define disgusting. Is it, pick-your-nose-in-public disgusting? Or is it, farting-during-an-english-final disgusting?

Relax, sir. I'm sorry if I disgust you, but I don't like being called "disgusting".

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Why do so many of Blayne's posts about PRC make sense now?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Make more sense, Dagonee. Saying "make sense" goes too far.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, ElJay.

I should have said his posting them makes sense now. Not the content.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* That I will not quibble with.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think copying math homework is worse than copying an essay, but I'm not sure why. Beyond the obvious, which is that math homework has only one answer so it's to be expected that everyone who did the problems right got the same thing. And math problems involve a lot less work than writing an essay.

Should that factor into it? I think so. I can forgive anyone for having a weak moment and copying some calculus homework right before class, but if you pay someone to write your doctoral dissertation* that's completely reprehensible.

*I realize that having someone else write your dissertation is pointless, since you'll still be called upon to defend it, but I like the analogy.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
Situation. An acquaintance offers me $20 to write an essay on the topic of (eg) Shakesperian sonnets. I am not told that the person has an assignment that matches the topic, and I ask no questions. I do the essay, get my silver, and go home. My acquaintance now turns in the essay with his name on it and gets a grade. Clearly the acquaintance has done something wrong, but have I?
Now change it. I know of the existance of the assignment, but I don't know he intends to turn in my work as his own. Now am I in the wrong? Where does culpability begin?

If you were to truly be ignorant of the assignment, then you certainly wouldn't be morally culpable. But you'd have to be extremely naive (or stupid) to write an essay for a kid about sonnets and not think something was up. Willful ignorance (as in purposefully avoiding asking what the essay was for) does not absolve you.

I'd say the same applies to your second scenario. Assuming the kid doesn't plan to (or end up) passing your work as his, and turns in an original assignment, then I don't think there's actually anything wrong with that. It's like doing research. Though I have no idea why someone would want to pay for that instead of just going to the library.

quote:
As engineering students, I and my fellows were strongly encouraged to work together. I do not consider this plagiarism, because it was not a case of one person does an assignment, then someone else copies the work. We did the work together, side-by-side, all of us contributing and checking each other's work. To my mind this is akin to discussing ideas in an essay and proofreading, rather than having someone else do an essay in one's place.
There's nothing wrong with working together on an assignment as long as the teacher hasn't forbidden it. That's a far cry from copying answers or paying someone to do the work for you.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I tutored in Algebra, my job was basically to watch my students do the problems, show them where they were going wrong, figure out why they were going wrong, and explain it to them in a way that made it possible for them to do it right. I didn't "give answers and do it backwards"; I watched them step-by-step and pointed out things they weren't noticing, gave them reminders, or asked them questions that provoked a double-check, so they got the right answers on their own-- at least, they were doing the work, and eventually were able to do it themselves.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Kitsune:
quote:

Define disgusting. Is it, pick-your-nose-in-public disgusting? Or is it, farting-during-an-english-final disgusting?

Relax, sir. I'm sorry if I disgust you, but I don't like being called "disgusting".

It is stealing-the-work-of-others disgusting. And if you do not like the label 'thief', why, you could avoid stealing.
Kitsune
Member # 8290

Stealing is taking something without permission. I do not steal. So don't call me a thief.

I suppose you like being labeled a jerk, huh?

Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it could be argued that an author has a fairly absolute right to 1.) charge money for his work, and 2.) voluntarily waive copyright for his customer(s).
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, people used to copy from my homework all the time. I suppose I should feel sorry. But I really didn't care. Nor did I care if they recieved a high grade for the work. Nor did I care (much, unless I liked them) that it hurt them academically later in life. Nor do I care that some employer might have hired a person thinking they were a competent engineer. I think of acedemics like golf - I'm only playing against myself. The ones that were interested, I did tutor.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Except for the fact where it's getting graded, and the person receiving the work is passing off someone else's work as his or her own, thereby getting a grade that he or she did not earn in any way.

This is why I fail people on assignments if they've obviously cheated. There are cheating policies for a reason--cheating reduces the effectiveness of education and produces ignorant students. If you cheat, you harm yourself and, in the long run, your institution of education ("Wow, so-and-so is from Random College; can you believe how little he knows?"). If you facilitate cheating, you're just as bad.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.