FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Speaking of sleeping...

Author Topic: Speaking of sleeping...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup Princess spent all night last night, a full 10 hours, in her big-girl bed, instead of her crib. [Cool]

She will usually lay there with Abba for a little while (Mama is now too big to fit), but then freaks out if he leaves the room, even if she had fallen asleep, and has to be calmed down and put to sleep in her crib.

Last night, she fell asleep with him, and was so deeply asleep that she didn't wake when he left. And instead of crying to get out of the crib this morning, I got to hear my big girl knocking on her door to come out. [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Such a big step!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle* Yay! What a big girl!!

Sophie hated her crib so much that we transitioned to a mattress on the floor early. She's still not quite sleeping through the night on the mattress, though. We're also slowly working on weaning and have been making some progress shortening our nursings before bed and having mama lie next to her.

Watch out, though, Sophie managed to get the door open last week and ran into our bedroom, proclaiming "HI!"

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Watch out, though, Sophie managed to get the door open last week and ran into our bedroom, proclaiming "HI!"
Hmmm. Sounds like that's where the lock on our bedroom door (Emma doesn't have one, but we do) would come in handy. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Now, I don't know how we're going to handle naps, since she HATES them and will just get up if we don't put her in the crib.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sleeping is nice sometimes I wish I could sleep forever...... *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Ah what??? where am I? Oh ya, in Hatrack... But ya sleeping is good, I sleep at EVERY oppurtunity, in the car, at home, sleeping in, at school during boring lectures.... etc etc.

And yet I'm medically diagnosed as being sleep deprived I have dark rings under my eyes its inexplicible.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Sounds like that's where the lock on our bedroom door (Emma doesn't have one, but we do) would come in handy.

When my small fry was in his toddler stage, he had this dark talent of being able to open locked doors. He didn't understand that the lock meant "no", so he would just turn the handle and pull and the locked doors would open for him. I warned his preschool that locking up cabinets or doors would not keep him out -- they would have to tell him "no" so that he would understand that it was off-limits. They didn't believe me until he opened the (locked) cabinet where the art supplies were because he wanted the paints. Then they closed and locked it again, tested the lock, and asked him how he opened it. He just turned the handle and pulled, and the doors opened for him. After that, they were sure to tell him what was off-limits (he was very good at understanding that, and about obeying).

You know when he lost this talent? When someone explained to him what locks were and that when a door is locked, it can't be opened except with a key. And since he didn't know how to work keys, he stopped opening locked doors.

I still have no idea how he did it, and I saw him do it so many times! A dark talent -- like magic.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Angst] That's kinda creepy.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I keep telling you people, kids that age are geniouses.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Angst] That's kinda creepy.

You might think so, but it really wasn't. It was just sort of sweet and innocent. There was no malice, just a naivete about locks. The kid was really very good and he listened to his parents and followed rules, so just telling him that something was not allowed was more effective than locking stuff.

Maybe the kid had a little magic in him, though. It was amazing seeing him just open locked doors. But annoying when I was in the bathroom and he wanted me.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a knack he had, Tante. [Smile]

My baby (same age as KetchupPrincess) has learned how to climb out of her crib, and is now keeping the rest of the siblings up way too late every night by climbing out of her bed and into theirs. I just found her standing on the floor next to her crib, stark naked, having taken off her pj's and diaper in the crib and then climbed out. (She's developed a number of new talents lately!) Hubby and I were shaking with laughter but trying not to let her see. Have to let her know we don't approve, of course. [Big Grin]

She can climb back in again, too, so there's not much point in keeping her in the crib - we're just stuck using it until we have time to get a set of bunk beds, and rearrage to have room for them.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* Have you removed the side rails, Jenna?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Of the crib? No.

I've watched her do it, and she's really pretty nimble. Her brother's toddler bed butts up against the crib (tiny room!), and she gets out by standing on his footboard and then climbing down to his mattress and to the floor. So she's not just going over the rail and straight down to the floor from there.

I've always been amazed at how other people's kids learned to climb out of their cribs, having had 3 older ones who never learned to do it before they were moved to a regular bed. But I learned a long time ago to never say never, when it comes to what my kids will do!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, Emma hasn't even tried to climb out of her crib-- like Tante's son, "no" is pretty effective on her, and when she showed signs of wanting to once, we told her no, and she hasn't tried again, although she climbs everything else in sight unless expressly forbidden to.

She's a very decisive child. She decided one day that she was done nursing. She's decided now that she won't sleep in her crib anymore (when she didn't want to go to bed tonight, we offered her a choice, and she was very adamant about not sleeping in the crib.) She didn't stop cruising until she was able to walk perfectly without holding onto anything; she seems to cling to baby ways until she's completely ready to give them up, and then all of a sudden, she just decides to do it the "grown up" way.

At least in the toddler bed, she can't turn the light on and off (she's been able to since we had to rearrange the crib to fit the toddler bed in. She's also in a tiny, tiny room. [Smile] )

lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She will usually lay there with Abba for a little while...

I can't believe you let her listen to that. Did you know that people remember the things that were going through their heads right before they fall asleep better than anything else? You really want to corrupt your poor child for life?

I mean, come on. It's not even bed-time music. Most people think it's not even music.

Sheesh. ABBA, of all things. That's just sick.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
O_o
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*giggles*

*aside to quid*

You think he's trying to be funny, right? He knows who Emma's Abba is?

lord trousers
Member # 8741

- posted      Profile for lord trousers   Email lord trousers         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't got a clue who Emma's "Abba" is. What is it? A favorite 8-track or something?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Curious ... does she really call him Abba? And if so, was that planned or her idea?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Children are so sweet. I can't wait to get my own. Teenagers are so stupid today going on how they never want to have children, shame on em.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Abba is a name for grandfather....

Just like lord trousers just became a pharase that means clueless.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But, Emma's Abba is her father.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Abba is Hebrew for "father".
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Curious ... does she really call him Abba? And if so, was that planned or her idea?
Her choice. She started saying "Mama" and we were trying to get her to say "Dada", but she wasn't saying her "d"s at that point. She tried really hard, and kept coming out with "A-bah!" So we decided that since "Abba" is "Daddy" in Hebrew, we would let her call him that. By the time she said her "d"s, it was firmly established that KPC is "Abba", and he has been ever since. (When rivka heard it, though, she did the funniest double take you've ever seen. Actually, eating out with her at kosher restaurants is the only time we don't get questioning looks from people listening to us talk and have to explain.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.