FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Joan of Arc - Alternate History

Author Topic: Joan of Arc - Alternate History
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know of any alternate history stories that investigate what may have happened to English and French societies if Joan of Arc had never had any visions/madness and led France to victory?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't offhand think of any, and I'm an alt-hist fan.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
None whatso ever.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, ever read any of William Sander's alternative history works?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of any, but it's an interesting concept. Are you interested in other Joan of Arc alternate history stories, or just that one?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read "The Undiscovered", but none of the longer works. Damn good story, that.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm, i had a few What If comics when i was younger... does that count as alt history?!?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This book apparently has a novella about if she had escaped martyrdom.

There's also apparently a novel in French along the same lines.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, "The Undiscovered" is one of my favorite short stories, I think. I like his short stuff better than his novels though, I have to say. There is a certain "shave and a haircut" quality to the endings of a lot of his books.

Nonetheless, The Wild Blue and the Grey is well worth reading. The world it sets up is an interesting one, and Faulkner makes for an interesting character. His Journey to Fusang is entertaining as well, if on the light side. It's interesting to read it along with Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt. Talk about wildly different takes, with wildly different tones, on the same premise.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you interested in other Joan of Arc alternate history stories, or just that one?
Last night as I lay in bed, I tried to imagine how history, especially the history of the United States, would have been different if Joan had never had any visions/madness. Could England and France have become united for enought time to form a single national identity? Would English be the language spoken in Paris? Could Henry VIII have gotten away with declaring himself head of the Church of England? Would the combined country have remained catholic? Could this have prevented the Puritans from gaining such momentum in England? How would the political and religious landscape of early America changed if there had been no Puritan colonies in New England? Would I enjoy writing a story exploring these questions?

Then I said to myself "This is such an obvious what if question -- the odds are very high that somebody else has already written a story about this."

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
In at least one alternate history she dated the 2,000 Year Old Man! [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't really that that it's a particularly obvious what-if. Certainly the scenario that you spin from it is interesting, and one I haven't seen anyone do. If you were to write it, I'd happily read it.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
hmm, i had a few What If comics when i was younger... does that count as alt history?!?

Some of them. Ones that were based on points of divergence, like "What if Peter Parker had stopped that guy before he killed Uncle Ben", and "What if the FF had let Spidey join the team" would count. But stuff like "What if the cosmic rays had made Sue the Thing instead of Ben" probably wouldn't.

This geek moment has been brought to you by Marvel Comics. "We're number two, and we can't get used to it."

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm out of resources, and have found only the one Joan of Arc scenario that has been explored.

Except in this thread, which seems to touch on your ponderings.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Interesting site. Thanks KQ!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
If you were to write it, I'd happily read it.
In all honesty, it's little more than a pipe dream. I don't have nearly the knowledge of history that I'd neeed to be able to write something like this. It would take a long time for me to do enough research.

Maybe this is nothing more than a project that keeps me busy so that I don't have to try (and fail) to learn how to write fiction. [Wink]

WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
"Barbet, Pierre: The Joan-of-Arc Replay DAW, 1978 (287) 1st US ed, near F. Scientists create alternate Earth to see what would happen if Joan led an army of liberation. Translated from the French.$ 7.00"
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can think of is "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

Something is tickling the back of my brain, though, Porter. I swear I know of one.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Porter, via Google:

"In the third book in his Alternate Generals anthology series, he collects short stories of alternate military history whose speculative scenarios range from Joan of Arc escaping martyrdom and leading France to victory in medieval Europe to the Vietnam War ending in 1987 with the U.S. eking out victory."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0743498976/002-2113780-8452805?v=glance&n=283155

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Here is a sci fi novel by Mary Gentle(I loved her "Golden Witchbreed") which seems to be a Joan of Arc-is character.

"Just as the reader gets ready to reassign the book to time travel SF, Gentle inserts--in what are purported to be excerpts from a 21st-century scholar's e-mail conversation with his publisher--hints that perhaps the novel belongs in the alternate history category. By now Ash and her army are embroiled in war and politics up to their fluted breastplates (armor, like all the historical detail, is minutely and accurately described), and if swords and poleaxes were not enough, she now faces golems and the Carthaginian army. Amazingly, Gentle makes this impossible mix believable, and by the end of the novel it is apparent that this is the beginning of a most interesting series."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0380788691/002-2113780-8452805?v=glance&n=283155

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wow, there is a whole lot more.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read those books by Mary Gentle, and they were pretty darn good. I found them when I was desperately seeking for the title/author to "Golden Witchbreed," and could only recall tantalizing hints . . . GW was a good read, too.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Silverberg wrote a series where historical characters were virtualy reincarnated. That's the only Joan of Arc I've read.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Shan,
Is Golden Witchbreed still in print? The second book was...Golden Lght? No, ANCIENT Light. I did not like it as much as the first, but it was good.

I think I may go and find those books. Thanks!

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
My library had them, but I now keep my eyes open in the second hand bookstores.

I think she is still in print in the UK, though.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
MPH,

Sara Douglass' Crucible Trilogy probably doesn't fit neatly into the category as you've outlined it, (Not being primarily about Joan of Arc), but is alt/hist/ fantasy set during the reign of Richard II and with Joan of Arc featuring as a significant character, and drawing a lot of 'real' history into a fictional context.

Douglass is an excellent writer, and I can't recommend this trilogy enough, if you are interested in fiction set in that particular era.

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Please !!!! Write "Jeanne d'Arc" and not some ugly translation like Joan of Arc. (Beeeeeeerk !)

For answer the question, it's simple : God Blessed the French, and especially Jeanne. God dislike the horrible people of England. [Razz] Understand ?

Why there is some people who are not agreeing me ?

Ok, Ok... English are not so bad and so disliked by God. But Jeanne d'Arc kicked them deeply.

More seriously, I suggest you the movie by Luc Besson "Jeanne d'Arc".

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.