FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grammar Question

Author Topic: Grammar Question
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
It started out as a way to pass the time. As I do when I'm particularly bored, I like to analyze the words in any given sentence. I noticed, in my musings, that the word "unique," when accomanied by the article "a," doesn't follow the usual structure. Most words that start with a vowel require "an," but unique doesn't. So I ask you, Hatrack, are there any other words that follow the same rule as "unique?"

Sorry if this was badly worded, but I couldn't think of another way to make this clear. Bear with me.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
It does follow the rule. You just have a simplified version of the rule. If a word starts with a vowel sound it is preceded by an. Unique starts with a y sound, thus the a.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Although "unique" is spelled with an initial vowel, it's pronounced as if there were a "y" in front: yooneek. You wouldn't put "an" in front of any other words that started with a "y", such as "yak."

There are many examples, like most words that begin with "eu."

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"Honor" and "honorable" are other ones that go by sound rather than spelling-- "He lived an honorable life."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. I never thought of it that way. Thank you Hatrackers!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
e.g. eunuch, Europe, utopia, universe, unit, Unitarian, user, etc.

My favorite grammar (or spelling, I suppose) rule is the "I before E except after C, or when sounded like 'ay' as in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'" rule, purely because the only exception is weird.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is not either. Or is that neither?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any other exceptions. I forfeit.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.