FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Food Important?

Author Topic: Is Food Important?
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you see food as an important part to maintaining a relationship? If so then why or why not?

This a (hopefully) really a seriously serious thread, I was hoping that everyone here on Hatrack would do this as I am attempting to convince my partner to eat.

If you choose to be really really really serious in your responses then you would be a great help.

(I may or may not babysit this thread. Word of the day: serious)

Edited as a result of good advice for robots

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Rule #1: You don't announce a dobie in the thread title.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

No smiles, this is serious.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Its why I never liked skinny girls, they don't eat enough. I need someone to share one of my favorite past times.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Thank you for the seriousness of your response. Seriously.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its why I never liked skinny girls, they don't eat enough
This is a myth. Many skinny people eat a lot (A LOT), they just also exercise/eat healthily.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

I am being serious. Food is something that EVERYONE needs and enjoys 2-5 times a day. If your partner doesn't share your tastes and habits it can spell failure. Especially if one partner is out to change the other's tastes and habits.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

*taking notes*
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a really skinny girlfriend. When her nails get really white is the only time I can ever make her eat large meals. We both have very small stomachs, but I tend to eat like a pig; whenever I get the chance, whilst she always shows control until meal time, so I really can't complain to her.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
quote:
This is a myth. Many skinny people eat a lot (A LOT), they just also exercise/eat healthily.
There is a difference between skinny and fit in my opinion. Fashion models are skinny, professional women's volleyball players are fit.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fashion models are skinny
I'm now taking bets on whether that starts up a debate (I promise not to start it myself, even though I'm really tempted to).
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some of them just have hyper metabolisms, and eat and eat and eat and still don't gain weight, whether they exercise or not. *is married to one and the child of another and the mother of another*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
quote:

And some of them just have hyper metabolisms, and eat and eat and eat and still don't gain weight, whether they exercise or not. *is married to one and the child of another and the mother of another*
Is it true that it eventually catches up to those types of people?
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by cheiros do ender:
quote:
Fashion models are skinny
I'm now taking bets on whether that starts up a debate (I promise not to start it myself, even though I'm really tempted to).
Have you sat through 5 minutes of Americas Next Top Model? 99% of them look like they could pass for those hanging skeleton's in a biology or anatomy class room.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

{Removed}

[ February 09, 2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

airmanfour
Member # 6111

Seriously guys, we're focusing on relationships and eating, not whether the people in them are healthy or not. Seriously.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

You don't seem very serious for a guy that says serious as often as you.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Depends. My husband's uncle is also one, and ended up with dangerously high cholesterol and putting on weight when he hit 40, changed his diet and exercise, and is now skinny again but still has to watch his cholesterol.

My dad, OTOH, is past 50, has a little more of a tummy bulge, but as a doctor has always eaten pretty heart-healthy and is into hiking and such, with no family history of really bad cholesterol or blood pressure, so he's still considered "skinny" by most people and is healthy, heart-wise.

My husband eats what I cook him (much healthier than what he grew up on and what his bachelor uncle ate), is a little too fond of high-fat, high-cholesterol foods but has me to help him moderate his eating habits, and enjoys sports and stuff much more than my dad ever did. So he's got chances somewhere in between his uncle and my dad, in my estimation. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Saw this in the advise columns this morning in the Washington Post, I think it applies:

Dear Carolyn:

My boyfriend and I have been together two years and I have made very clear what I need from him before living together or marriage. I am a very active person, and he is not. I am not willing to compromise. He promised he would change, but doesn't seem to be making much progress. I know that for people to change they have to want to, and he says he does, but how much time am I supposed to give him?

As much as he should give you to back off and love him. He is who he is. Stay or go.

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

This coming from a guy with an email account at beer.com?
airmanfour
Member # 6111

That. Is. Scarey.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Airman, are you in the Reserves or full-time Airforce?
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The competitors on Americas Next Top Model are retarded and need putting down.
A little offensive, cheiros.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
quote:

This is turning into the world's largest quoted quote. [Wink]

quote:
My husband eats what I cook him
I thought this said "my husband eats WHEN I cook him. I was a little confused.

And yes, seriously, I think that eating affects a relationship. I need someone who will not only eat when I eat, but also has the same rate of eating that I do. I hate sitting around waiting for someone to finish their meal.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't advent create a post like this? Are YOU Advent?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

quote:
Originally posted by Princess Leah:
quote:
The competitors on Americas Next Top Model are retarded and need putting down.
A little offensive, cheiros.
Oh, I wasn't being serious. I only saw three of them so I'm not in a position to judge. I know that.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not why it's offensive.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Full time. We call it active duty, I was "born" active, the Reserves have to be activated. 3 and a half years to go. Why do you ask?

Edited to ask why

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, I wasn't being serious. I only saw three of them so I'm not in a position to judge.
This is a very serious thread. You should be serious at all times.

I think that the act of eating isn't as important as the enjoyment of the food. You can eat junk food all the time, but it won't be as satisfying as a few good meals. Food texture is very important to me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

To me as well. I feel rice is an example of bland food gone good, texture-wise, while the opposite would be that damnable tofu. I cringe at the thought.
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
My body responds very noticeably to food. I can't eat things like McDonald's and a plate lunch from Loco Moco (sorry, can't think of a non-Hawaii reference) without feeling really, really sick. I like tofu [Frown] I don't really notice texture... I think proportions are the most important. For example, if I have an egg over easy on a piece of toast, I would like the egg to last so that I can eat a piece of egg with every piece of toast. I am not going to eat toast without egg or egg without toast (although the latter is NEVER the case.) This is very important to me. I throw away parts of sandwiches where the meat has run out or the part of an eclair where there is no more cream filling.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

I can't eat piggy products without feeling a little sick. Maybe I expect to be smote. Or, maybe the piggy grease, plus texture is too much for even my cast-iron tummy.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

I'm planning to join the Navy Reserve here in Australia next year. I wanna going to ask if it's worth leaving all your friends and families for, well, for me it's going to be about 5-7 weeks a year.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to learn to be open-minded about different meats. Only then can you have a satisfying food experience.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

It depends. I used to go away to summer camp that long when I was still in high school. It was strange then, but I got used to it really fast, and it made this, being gone 50ish weeks out of the year simple. Also things to be considered, I am single and petless and pretty young, so I didn't have much to leave behind. As I say, it depends, but I really cant see you doing wrong by the Navy Reserves. I was once briefed by an Australian Army (?) guy, and he was really relaxed and cool, so my experiences with your armed forces are pretty positive. I hope yours will be too.
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by cheiros do ender:
This coming from a guy with an email account at beer.com?

Beer good.

Actually I'm more of a wine drinker, beer.com had the only web mail that my job's network didn't have blocked.

Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most important thing is for both partners to think more about the enjoyment of the other and making sure to eat the kinds of foods that please their partner. This sort of nurturing, caring food environment will, IMO, lead to a long and culinarily satisfying relationship, if carried out equally in other aspects of the relationship.

[Smile]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
And pH is right, it can't be fast food or grilled cheese sandwiches for every meal. Sometimes I want something that takes time to thoroughly prepare and enjoy!

edit: like tonight. delicious roast beef cooking right now.

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by airmanfour:
Do you see food as an important part to maintaining a relationship? If so then why or why not?

This a (hopefully) really a seriously serious thread, I was hoping that everyone here on Hatrack would do this as I am attempting to convince my partner to eat.

If you choose to be really really really serious in your responses then you would be a great help.

(I may or may not babysit this thread. Word of the day: serious)

Edited as a result of good advice for robots

This is such a strange dobie of my thread [Roll Eyes] .......
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is an okay dobie. I have a friend who dates around a lot and all of her boyfriends always ask me "Does she ever eat?" or tell me to "Make her eat!" It's kind of an issue for her, I'm not sure why. She's also a vegetarian and a lot of guys she dates try to make her eat meat or get me to convince her to try some. I have no idea why it is such a big deal. Maybe that's because I eat like there's no tomorrow and have no trouble keeping up with the guys. I've even been given the nickname "Hoover" by my family. Like... the vacuum.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on. [Roll Eyes]

The wording at the begining of this thread has had only slight modifications from my thread.

If he had meant it too be serious, he would have not have copied me.

[ February 09, 2006, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Advent 115 ]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

Advent- Your last sentence makes no sense. Seriously.

Jennabean- I am glad that you eat on par with menfolk, that is something to be admired in this day and age. I really do worry about girls that are too skinny. Skinniness has been given the stigma that it can most easily be accomplished through not eating, the fact that some people can burn huge amounts of calories by breathing is overshadowed by this. And then there are those that just don't eat. Makes me sad.

Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
What I really didn't like about my last boyfriend's habits, was, that he was able to spoil every meal with his comments on the food, on the way I cook, on the spices...
I relish to eat and I'm a devoted hobbycook, so it wasn't fun to be critised by someone who's nutrition depends on cheese sandwiches and Pizza. It DID matter after a while... It's such a big part of our daily life.

By the way, what's a "dobie"?

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.