FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm totally blanking - Can anyone recommend some comic fantasy?

Author Topic: I'm totally blanking - Can anyone recommend some comic fantasy?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from Terry Pratchett, I mean. I also have Tom Holt.

Argh, this is bugging me!

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently books. They are kind of mystery/fantasy/comedy.

Another one that I liked was Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! by Terry Brooks.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

- posted      Profile for password           Edit/Delete Post 
Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming by Zelazny and Sheckley is all right.

The Myth-Adventures series by Aspirin is pretty good for several books. Some of the later ones are weak and some aren't.

I second the Dirk Gently books, though I wouldn't exactly... well... maybe "Fantasy" is the best word for them after all.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Taltos series by Brust.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I third the Dirk Gently books. Love 'em.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I always found much of Stranger at the Wedding by Barbara Hambly to be good comedy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like short stories, there's an anthology called The Wizards of Odd that contains only humorous/strange science fiction and fantasy. All of the authors are well-known (or were at one time). It's one of my favorite books.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Second the Magic Kingdom of Landover series suggestion.

Hmmm.

Is the Ebenezum series still in print?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
question: Is Pratchett worth reading? I don't think I've ever had the presumed pleasure. Where would one start?
Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dirk Gently! Oh, how could I forget.

Landover, too. It's been a long time since I read those. Thanks, guys.

[Smile]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clod
Member # 9084

- posted      Profile for clod   Email clod         Edit/Delete Post 
EL,

wait. Dirk Gently was by Pratchett? I think I misfollow?

Posts: 351 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Charles Sheffield writes comic fantasy. I've never read it, but I've heard it's good.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

No, Dirk Gently is by Douglas Adams.

Pratchett writes the Discworld novels. To start, I recommend Mort, Weird Sisters, or Guards! Guards!. [Smile]

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Pratchett is great reading. Fully worth it.

Hm. I didn't think much of Tom Holt. He seemedto force the comedy, and that's just not on.

I would reccomend Diana Wynne Jones. If you're not scared off by the YA label, you're in for a treat. Look in particular for Howl's Moving Castle, Dark Lord of Derkholm, or Deep Secret.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people call the Xanth series comedic fantasy. Others claims it is 1) not funny or 2) not fantasy. Piers Anthony wrote it, and it'll take you a while to read all of them, but you can jump in the middle of the series and still understand it as well as if you started at the beginning.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Pratchett writes the Discworld novels. To start, I recommend Mort, Weird Sisters, or Guards! Guards!. [Smile]

Mort! Mort! Mort!

Sorry. It's my favourite and I get a little excited whenever it comes up in conversation - or even when I bring it up in conversation. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Simon Hawke!

1) The Reluctant Sorcerer
2) The Inadequate Adept
3) The Ambivalent Magician

I almost choked laughing out loud.

Esther Friesner:

Chicks in Chainmail
The Chick is in the Mail
Did You Say Chicks?
Chicks 'n Chained Males
Turn the Other Chick

Gnome Man's Land
Harpy High
Unicorn U.

Hooray for Hellywood

Elf Defense (this is a sequel to New York by Knight, but it's funny, while NYbK is dark)

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
password
Member # 9105

oh... there's an older series, simply called "The Enchanter Series" I think. For some reason I'm thinking L. Sprague De Camp.

I borrowed a book called The Compleat Enchanter and, while I recall very little of it, I do recall enjoying it and it was fairly amusing as well.

[ February 10, 2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: password ]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I remember getting The Incompleat Enchanter before that one was out. Also, Gordon Dickson, I think has a book called The Dragon and the George. Kinda cute. And there's Peter David's Sir Apropos of Nothing, and... I don't remember who wrote Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming.

Edited to point out that Yngvi is a louse.

[ February 10, 2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: starLisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Oh, thank you, starLisa. How did I forget all these great writers? I love the Dragon Knight books!

You'd think I'd never read any of this stuff before, the way I blanked when suddenly asked to come up with a list. A lot of these names I've read, but some I haven't, and that is exciting too. Yay for new books!

Oh, and there's Christopher Stasheff's The Warlock in Spite of Himself, which I rather enjoyed.
And on the YA side of things, Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Raymond E. Feist is good fun. His books may not be the stuff of literary genius, but they're so enjoyable.

Okay. I read the title again. Feist isn't very comic. Sorry!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I misunderstood the title and was about to recommend Fables as an excellent fantasy comic [Wink] Which is to say that it's a comic/graphic novel with a fantasy/folklore theme, but not particularly humorous. It is really, really good, though.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
I always enjoyed L. Sprague De Camp.

Also I remember a series by John Morressy about a reclusive wizard named Kedrigern ... The spelling there might be off, it's been a long time since I've read that.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Yeah, I remember Kedrigern in time to give the list I was asked for. But he's so hard to find, being out of print and all. Good stuff, though. I am always delighted to stumble across more Kedrigern.
password
Member # 9105

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
and... I don't remember who wrote Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming.

*points helpfully to his first post in the thread*
[Smile]

Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm... I checked amazon and it looks like kedrigern was reprinted in volumes in the last couple years. I may have to buy those since my originals were .. ahem... 'borrowed' [Grumble]

I need to screen my borrowers more carefully!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Fables - First issue downloadable for free!
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
The Princess Bride by S. Morgenstern
Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I <heart> Fables.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Asprin's Myth Adventure books are fun.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Every novel by Douglas Adams. I like Dirk GEntly, too, but The first "Hitchhiker" is definitely thes best, isn't it.

What about the "Otherland"- books by Tad Williams?
I, mean, if you haven't read them, yet. I don't think, they are the best books I've ever read, not the worst either, but at least you can not finish them in two or three days. (Not having TV, I like it if I cannot finish a bool too fast.)

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.