FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have an Idea for a story

Author Topic: I have an Idea for a story
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
it came from a dream, I was a servant in a house hold, and this kinda reminds me of Xenocide in this respect because I was sure I was serving a Prince destined to be Emperor in Ancient China, I have no idea which dynasty don't ask. I remember that there was this box with a scroll within it and it had all the secrets of success in it but one mustn't touch it or open it or else one will go blind if your unworthy. The point is that once the Prince is able to read it he can read it and learn the wisdom within.

Now where I come into the dream is that some of the other people I don't know if they're servants but I recognize them as friends from school, they try to enter the room to read the scroll and I rush past them and close and lock the door telling them for their own sake that if they see the scroll they'll go blind.

They eventually leave and as I enter the servants compound to go back to my wife (according to my "dream mind" i have a wife) and I notice that the entrance to the building is locked (and please dont ask how there's a modern 20th centaury lock in Ancient China) so i climb onto the roof to get in.

The roof turned into a tar shingle roof which confuses the heck out of me but then I wake up.

This gives me an idea for a story, a story about a servant serving a future Chinese Emperor. The details are fuzzy and I'm going to have to do some research now, I'm going to explore this.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

This gives me an idea for a story, a story about a servant serving a future Chinese Emperor.

You could really go out on a limb and make the Emperor Australian. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

What on Earth did you eat before you went to bed?

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
It must have been a spoonful of sugar. I'm surprised Mary Poppins hasn't been sued. All of these people getting sick trying to take medicine before bed. Its quite a shame really.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

its that we were all wearing traditional Chinese clothing. Trust me I had ample evidence in my dream that it was oriental.

As for what I ate I ate ALOT of food, 2 big spoons of mashed patatoes, 2 bowls of spagetti, 3 suasages, a saucer of vegetables, 3 donates, some cookies, more vegetables, 2 griled cheese sandwitches, all throught the day. Oh and 1 liter of grape soda and 4 glasses of ginger ale.

I was at a friends house having a lan party and the family is Russian.

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness Tom, yes!
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*bump*

C'mon I want input!

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This gives me an idea for a story, a story about a servant serving a future Chinese Emperor.
Go for it.

I'm especially interested to see how China goes from Communism back to monarchy.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty easy, Scott - set it far enough in the future!

Oh, and my input would be to not eat so much before sleeping [Razz]

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Huh, I didnt think of that I was thinking of more of an ancient setting, but I should explore this too.
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I didnt think of that I was thinking of more of an ancient setting, but I should explore this too.
quote:
I seem to have misinterpreted the meaning of 'future.'

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well, I meant future as in a Prince who eventually becomes an Emperor which is generaly the rule if its a Prince of the Imperial Household and happens to be the eldest/only child. Though your input is good too.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I repeat: there are too few Australian Imperial bureaucracies in science fiction.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Well, there's 'The Dingo and the Kangaroo Sing Waltzing Matilda to High Emperor Simpson,' but I haven't had that published yet.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I will write one for you Tom, but only if you're willing to critique it for me? I already know how an Australian could become an Emperor.

Hint: it's part of my Plan to Take Over the World.

Note: I will not be having it published (the Plan must remain secret [Angst] ), but I will let anyone willing to critique it read it. There will be consequences for revealing the Plan to others.

Addendum: I'm not crazy.

[ February 14, 2006, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that there was this box with a scroll within it and it had all the secrets of success in it but one mustn't touch it or open it or else one will go blind if your unworthy.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

The last episode of star trek: Deep space nine. The scrolls of the "Costa Mogen" made Dukat go blind because he was unworthy...

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

woah, I never even saw that episode.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
I already know how an Australian could become an Emperor.

If you put enough armies on Indonesia, you can sweep through Asia when your opponent is going after Iceland.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Oh no, my favourite band is from Iceland. I can't let them become my enemy.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hm. You could hope that they'd attack the Northwest Territories, then, but that still leaves their armies close enough to stop you. Really, as much as you like Iceland, you're better off if whoever holds Asia is focused on expanding through them.
Geekazoid99
Member # 8254

- posted      Profile for Geekazoid99   Email Geekazoid99         Edit/Delete Post 
can i crytic your plan Cheiros
please

also for the domination don't forget to make stupid allies with people whoi aren't anywhere close to you so they can be a distraction for you until your so big then can't stop you

Posts: 250 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.