FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Blood Drive (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Hatrack Blood Drive
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot to post.

My iron was too low (again, despite taking a daily (well, pretty much [Blushing] ) multivitamin. But just a tad -- so I'm trying again in a couple weeks.

I have to remember to eat steak the day before or something.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I donated last week (whole blood).
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still waiting to be eligible again since the Africa trip -- I think I have about a month to go. <Sets reminder to check.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's time that I could give again. I should check and see. My iron was super low after the last donation, and my ferritin as well, and my hemoglobin. So I wonder if it has recovered yet since then.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going Wednesday at 4!

I haven't been in forever what with finals and then being in the hospital (for nothing that will make me ineligible) and off-and-on sick for weeks after.

But I've been working out, I'm chilling at summer school, and I'll have plenty of time for a good meal. I was looking for a chance for some good karma, cause I need it, and it seems like the blood drive at Sonic is my chance. haha.

EDIT: Just donated. Almost got turned away for my iron count, which is crazy because I'm on two kinds of iron pills right now. But once they tested me again, they let me donate. I was in the hospital last week so I kinda panicked right before they stabbed me, but the nurse calmed me down. She talked to me the whole time, which was nice. Atleast until I commented on how quickly my bag had filled up since it usually takes a long time. Then she started talking about how my veins are the kind that "blow" easy. The details grossed me out and I nearly passed out (couldn't hear anything, wanted to sleep, etc.) But I was able to finish and I bounced back quick. Even got a free coupon for a Sonic ice cream cone. And I'll be eligible to donate again in time for the back-to-school drive.

[ June 29, 2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I forgot to post when I gave in July (had the low crit, higher 5 days later thing again).

Gave today. My iron was barely high enough (she ran the counter over the sample once and it was one low; tried it again and it was just ok.) Next time they want me to give platelets. [Smile]

And they had the shortbread cookies which I love, but never buy -- I only have them when I donate.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that sounds great! I can't contribute until after November 11th, since I got a tattoo less than a year ago, but after that I'm good to go.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I donated on August 28 (took a day off work to be home for anticipated first-day-of-school bus problems and ran over while I had the chance). Eligible again in late October.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I just donated. I had no issues with iron count (45%), but I did have a problem with my veins. The BloodCenter had requested some volunteers for Red Blood Cell donation. I signed up thinking I wouldn't have any issues.

Well, when I went in, they had a hard time finding a vein. I went back to my desk and chugged down water for a few hours. When I got back, the veins were much more obvious but not enough for the machine.

Is there anything I can do leading up to the donation to help? They seemed really interested in my blood type for the donation so I went out of my way to help, but, in the end, I gave whole blood.

I realize that whole blood is still very important, but I'd like to be able to help a bit more.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.