FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Coconut oil - Healthiest for you? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coconut oil - Healthiest for you?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
For example, I remember a favorite recipe from the Philippines. Actually, I don't think it originated in the Philippines. Quid or Fahim may have even come across it. It is a sort of dessert that has a certain banana, glutinous rice "dumplings", tapioca balls and other ingredients floating in sweetened and aromated coconut milk and cream. It is very rich and is delicious both warm and cold. I don't make it often, but when I do, I'd like to feel that there is some benefit to it. [Smile]

That doesn't sound at all familiar to me, but I'd like it to be. [Big Grin] Won't'cha be, won't'cha be, won't'cha be my neighbor and share it? [Smile] Please? [Kiss] Pretty please with a banana ball on top?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Sure! It is called ginataan. It says pandan leaves "optional", but for me, they are the heart of the flavor. One long leaf works fine, though. (They sell pandan leaves frozen at our local foriegn foods market. I got a lot of the ingredients there.)

I still haven't figured out how to cook tapioca balls properly. Either the middle isn't cooked all the way, or they "melt". [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Pandan leaves? I've never heard of them. I wonder if there's a local equivalent name?

The recipe looks a little... bizarre. [Razz] Possibly in a good way. I have no idea if Fahim would even try it - he hates sweet potatoes. I've only recently had local sweet potatoes, and I didn't mind them at all.

The plantain that's used - you mean plantain as in the starchy banana relative that must be cooked? I ask because here, bananas are called bananas and plantain, and the plantain as I know it is called Ash Plantain - it's a bizarre system of naming conventions! But then turmeric is also called saffron, and saffron is unknown and non-existent. [Eek!] It gets confusing. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Pandan leaves. Nice site, because it tells you what they are called in *many* different languages.

I never make it with the sweet potato or the taro root because they just don't "do it" for me. I don't think "saba" and plaintain are the same thing, but I'm not sure. That's why rather than buy fresh plaintain, I found the right kind of "banana" canned at the Many Lands store. I don't know what it is called, the can just says "banana". But the picture is right. They are short and squat, and are good both fresh and cooked. They don't *need* to be cooked. Is this what you are thinking of as a plaintain?

Anyway, Porter thinks it's a *WEIRD* dish and won't touch it. I made it the other night while his parents and my mom were here, and they all adored it. My kids only like it when it's fresh and warm, not when it is cold.

[ February 22, 2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

It's Rampe, and yeah, that's easy to get here. Duh! And now I know that Rampe is the same as Screw Pine. Duh! Great link, beverly. Thanks! It's going to help me figure out a whole wackload of stuff. [Big Grin]

I have a hard time imagining banana from a can. Can I mock you for that? [Wink] The banana you use - is it about four inches long, yellow skinned when ripe, a bit rubbery, and sweet? If it is, that's what's locally called finger bananas.

Your second link doesn't work as is - and it's not just the an extra / at the end of it. It redirects to microsoft.com. Don't know why.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Can I mock you for that? [Wink]
[Laugh]

You know not the bounds to which my naustalgia will drive me. [Big Grin]

quote:
The banana you use - is it about four inches long, yellow skinned when ripe, a bit rubbery, and sweet? If it is, that's what's locally called finger bananas.

Huh. The concept "finger bananas" sounds vaguely familiar. I wonder if they called them that in the Philippines too? I just can't remember. The description sounds right. When uncooked, they reminded me a bit of marshmallows. Very sweet.

Ooo, lemmie fix that link....

quidscribis
Member # 5124

It probably is called that in the Phillippines. And yes, they are very sweet. A little rubbery, moister than regular bananas. Here, they're commonly eaten as a snack or with rice & curry, mashed into the rice.

The link still doesn't work - it just doesn't load (after two minutes of waiting). OTOH, it's possible that we're experiencing bad internet connections here - that happens often enough. I'll try again later.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's you, quid -- the link loads quickly for me.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen - I just bought some grapeseed oil and it tastes great! I just put it on as my salad dressing and it is awesome! Thanks!
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
In Mexico they are called Finger Bananas (Platano de dedo) the ones like we see in Safeway are called Manila Bananas (Platano Manila)
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The link loads fine this morning. Go figger. [Smile]

The first picture looks like the ash plantain I mentioned, and the second picture looks like the finger bananas - fat, short, and yellow. [Smile]

Kent
Member # 7850

I think I have found a verygood link that doesn't have anyone selling anything. It also had references at the end. I looked at other pages on his web site and the info on Partially Hydrogenated Oils and TransFats were particularly insightful for me.

I don't know if anyone else is trying to eat healthily but I am definitely trying to avoid the afternoon slump without resorting to caffeine or sugar. I've noticed nuts have been great for the "slow burn" they give for continual energy.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ketchupqueen - I just bought some grapeseed oil and it tastes great! I just put it on as my salad dressing and it is awesome! Thanks!
Haha! Another convert!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Anyone who thinks that a given substance is a "miracle cure" is almost certain to be wrong.

And while he may or may not be selling anything, each of the books he cites certainly is.

I believe about 5% of what he said.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

You read everything that fast?! Which 5%?
rivka
Member # 4859

I skimmed -- the 5% is an estimate. Few of these claims are new to me; most are every bit as ridiculous as the ones on other coconut oil websites.

I believe that he is correct that it (may not be) as bad as some claim. It is a saturated fat. Heating unsaturated fats can cause trans fat formation (of course, not usually at the temperatures a home cook uses -- he neglects that point).

Etc. The 5% (or so) is completely mixed in with the exaggerations, hyperbole, and flat-out misinformation.

Pseudo-science at its best. [Razz]

beverly
Member # 6246

Out of curiosity, what sort of temperature is required to form transfats?
rivka
Member # 4859

It depends on the oil. And to be honest, I do not recall any specific temperatures; just that only a tiny amount is likely to be thus affected when cooking.

Except perhaps when deep-frying. Which is probably best to avoid for the most part anyway. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.