FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am rather offended.

Author Topic: I am rather offended.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at any of you. I am offended at Deb. Why? Because I wanted to put up a "No Solicitors" sign on the glass door, and she said, "That's tacky and rude." Sonya said the same thing.
They acted like I was asking for their permission, when I am paying a rent of over $2,300 per quarter. If I am paying this much, and so are they, who do they think they are to tell me I cannot put up a miserable sign on the door?! I don't need their permission and now they are mad at me because I called them "Nazi's". It is not the first time they deny me THE RIGHT to put up a sign and they expect me to apologize to them?! I understand the word I used was very strong, and I probably shouldn't have used it but the words just came out of my mouth and I honestly couldn't help it. But I'll be damned if I let them think I must have their permission to do something as miserably small as putting up a sign.

Deb thought the same thing of my idea to buy a "Get Lost" doormat. If she doesn't like it, well too bad. She can buy her own and set it down next to it, but by no means does she have the right to decide what I can and cannot do.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Mind you guys, I will apologize to them once things have cooled down. I realize that what I said was rather hurtful and a big no-no, but I am very offended at the moment and I just don't have it in me to ask for forgiveness at the moment.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't one of your roommates post here?

If so, it's probably not a good idea to post about her instead of talking to her.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

She posts here from my computer, which is now password protected. I was getting pissed off at her using it, installing programs and downloading stuff without my permission.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The signs, particularly the "Get Lost" one, will be taken as a reflection not only of your intolerance, but theirs. I definitely would object to someone putting that meesage in front of my home; and keep in mind, just because I share my home with others, it is still my home.

The "No Solicitors" sign seems reasonable and not overly offensive to me.

Maybe you should discuss the reasons why you feel the need to not be disturbed by strangers, then decide with your roomies how to best address the issue.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

The thing is that I feel I have a right to put up those things and they seem to disregard it like they had authority over me. As I said, they can put up their own signs, to explain my own even, if they like but I don't feel they have a right to censor me.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with LadyDove. It's their space too, and whatever signs you put up reflect them. You're all paying equal amounts of money; shouldn't you all have an equal say in these sorts of matters?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that they do have the right to be concerned about how your sign reflects on them. It's their home too.

AoD, Please don't misunderstand me, I'm getting the impression that privacy is very important to you. It's your right to privacy that they have no right to deny. Your expression of that right as a sign on their/your door is the problem that you must work through.

In short, you don't have the right to force your sign on them. It's aggressive and mean to say that they aren't allowed to voice an opinion and outvote you on an issue this small. If there is a larger, underlying issue for the sign, you need to communicate with them and come to a joint decision.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Has solicitation actually been a problem?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I just LOVE solicitors! I've been known to serve them hors d'oevres on a tray when they stop by.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The way I look at it is, in my space, what I want goes. That is, if I want to have my room be messy as all nine circles of hell, well, that's my business. So long as strange smells don't leak out into the common areas. If you were putting this sign on your bedroom door, perhaps, I don't think your roomies would have any say in the matter.

But the living room, kitchen, bathrooms, and to the extent it's relevant, the outside of your house/apartment are shared spaces. That doesn't make it a free-for-all. I wouldn't put up anything without consulting my roomies first, or if I did, and they objected, I'd remove it. In this type of situation, democracy is the best policy, not anarchy.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You're overreacting. They do have the right to tell you what to do if they agree about not wanting you to put out a sign or doormat. It's called being outvoted. Welcome to roommates. You'll disagree, but this is where you learn to compromise. Also, you learn that you're not the center of the universe.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... you called them Nazis? And they're mad at you? Gosh, how... overly sensitive.

I'm stunned. Shocked and stunned.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I just LOVE solicitors! I've been known to serve them hors d'oevres on a tray when they stop by.

See, I read the word "as" after the word "them", and it changed the whole meaning of the sentence.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lawyers in Australia are called solicitors. I suddenly feel unloved.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Shakespeare, King Henry VI, Part II, IV, ii
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
No Solicitor signs don't work anyways. My parents had its up all 18 years I lived with them. Never stopped a single person coming to the door and asking for money.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

See, I read the word "as" after the word "them", and it changed the whole meaning of the sentence.
Of course, then she'd only be talking about the kosher ones, right? [Wink]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Alt, it's two (or whatever) against one, and that's how it is with roomates, majority should rule. They may not care if people come to the door, I mean it is girl scout cookie season after all. I probably sound strange, but you can get to know some cool people that way.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Imogen)))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
No Solicitor signs don't work anyways. My parents had its up all 18 years I lived with them. Never stopped a single person coming to the door and asking for money.

Um, how would you know? If it stopped someone from coming to the door, then you would never know about it, because they wouldn't have, you know, come to the door. When I was selling stuff for school I never went to houses that had no solicitor signs up. I doubt the people in those houses had any idea I was respecting their signs, though.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Shakespeare, King Henry VI, Part II, IV, ii

[ROFL]

KarlEd, not necessarily. She didn't say who she was serving them to.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:

My building has No Solicitor signs, and it didn't stop some of those damn kids from showing up at my door with their spiel about winning points to get $15,000 to start a business by selling magazines. I was really tempted (I was busy working on my entrepreneurship project at the time) to inquire about their business plans and then proceed to pick them apart.

Anyways, I understand roommate frustrations all too well, especially after last semester's four girls in a two bedroom with one bath happy fun time. Which is why I live alone now.

*hugs Alt*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Repeat: "I will not get mad at things that aren't important." [Wink]

Besides... they are right. You don't have a "right" to put up signs in a living space that is just as much theirs as it is yours. It doesn't matter how much you pay. It only matters that you ALL live there, and thus must ALL agree on what to put there.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Alt, this is going to sound really harsh, but I hope you take it as advice and I wouldn't even bother offering advice to someone I didn't even care about.

Look at your threads on the first page. You are behaving shockingly immature. You want to quit a job without notice and don't care how it reflects on you. You make a purchase then have to ask other people's opinions if it's okay. You also say you'll just retract your purchase if you decide not to make it - retractions are serious business on Ebay and don't reflect well on you. The fact that you would bid with the idea "Oh I'll just retract it if I change my mind" shows another level of disrespect to the seller and immaturity on your part.

You have no right to insist that your roommates put up a sign they don't want to. Not if they pay an equal share of the rent. You're outvoted. Deal with it. Like an adult, if you can. Not by calling them names.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lawyers in Australia are called solicitors. I suddenly feel unloved.
In England too. When she first came across these, my mother thought all the "no solicitors" signs were meant to be lawyer jokes.

Hehheh.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a welcome mat that read "GO AWAY". When solicitors showed up I would say "look down."

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Why should you have the right to put up any sign you want when they don't have the right to NOT have up a sign that they don't want.

If anything, you are the one in the wrong since you are in the minority and are making a big deal of it. When you live with people, you have to work things out with your roomates. You generally have to go with the majority. Its just part of having roommates.

As for calling them nazis, that was way over the line. For many people, that is the most offensive thing you could say to them.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nellie Bly
Member # 9129

- posted      Profile for Nellie Bly   Email Nellie Bly         Edit/Delete Post 
V, please talk to me when you see this.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
You need to read about REAL censorship and realize that you using it in this context is childish and inappropriate. And you calling them nazis was obviously incorrect, so you saying it doesn't bother me. But I should expect better, and I think it's telling that I don't.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
It's my experience that No Solicitation signs mean nothing anyway. Don't sweat it.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also wrong and pretty ego-centric to post about this on a message board where one of the other parties is a member.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.