FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I bought a violin. Was it the right decision?

Author Topic: I bought a violin. Was it the right decision?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I payed about $50 for this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7390036713&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
I have just done it so I can still retract my decision should something come up. I looked at the seller's rating and was satisfied. Have I made the right decision?

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you play? Or want to?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was second violin in my high school's orchestra for a year.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, did you have a violin?

If not, it might be nice to have one around.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Weeeeellll...

I know nothing about the brand. I'm not sure that is a good thing.

For that amount of money, I'm thinking it is a pretty low-range violin. Be prepared that the sound and timbre will be harsh. The E string will probably sound tinny (heck, my E string sounds tinny. And my violin cost a lot more!) and the G may be fuzzy.

Above all, no matter how well it is made (which, I admit, I have my reservations about) it is a brand new violin. So it will sound nothing like an older, better-made instrument.

Some of the "features" offered are not really features - 4 tuners, for example.

That said: it's really cheap. And a cheap violin is better than no violin in terms of practice. Just don't expect to sound your best on it. Oh, and be prepared to retune all 4 strings every practice! (Do you have a pitch pipe?)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it will be as good as the rentals/school insturments you have played before, but if you don't really care about the quality, it's a violin, and you can practice. Since you're quitting your job right now, maybe it would be best to save money, but I don't know about your financial situation.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Musical instruments are like anything else, you get what you pay for. A set of Casperi pegs, installed, is more than $50. If you are in a metro area, you can usually buy a better instrument by watching for used sales from persons who bought good quality student instruments, and who's kids no longer use them. Look in the paper and ask arround.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, obviously it wasn't the right thing to do. I mean, come on! You have clearly messed up your life for the next ten years. Dogs will bark at you, cats will scratch, you'll find cockroaches in your breakfast cereal and be charged with fraud when you sue the company. No man will ever look at you again, whatever car you buy will break down the day after its warranty expires, your bicycle will have a flat tire every third day, you'll always be overcharged at restaurants, and you will burn every meal you make. Really, I'd have to say that buying a violin was the worst possible decision at this time. I feel sorry for you, but only so sorry - you brought it upon yourself.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a cheap, new violin on eBay a few years back.

I didn't play at all, and wanted to learn. I knew it was cheap, and knew it would probably sound horrible. But since I just wanted something to tinker around with, it was the right purchase for me. [Smile]

I did have to replace the strings immediately, though, because I broke one when I was trying to tune it for the first time. I also have to retune everytime I play, since the pegs aren't very good. One peg in particular likes to slip. So, expect cheap strings and pegs.

I think cheap eBay violins are good for toys or someone who's not very serious about playing yet. But since you already know how to play and was second violin in your orchestra, I think you'll be very disappointed with the quality. Instead, I'd look at possibly leasing a better quality instrument, or seeing if you can buy one with an installment program. You'll end up with something much better and satisfying.

For the record, I'm hoping to take violin lessons this year, and when I do, I plan to lease one through the school, even though I already one a violin. I figure even the school's leased instruments will be better quality than my eBay deal.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's possible to get improvements in sound quality if you replace the strings with better ones and purchase a seperate bow that's made of wood and higher quality materials.

EDIT: After reading the description these berkeley peeps are certainly good at jazzing up the properties of the violin.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
She would still have to retune everytime she uses it unless she upgrades to caspari or other similar pegs. Also, that upgraded bow is going to cost more than the violin did to start with.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You bought a violin for $50?

*in shock*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's one way to get even with those annoying roommates! They will rue the day they ever crossed you! [Evil]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else you can do? Se if you can trade in your ballet shoes for tap shoes and practice your tap dancing around the house.

That "No Soliciting" sign will be hanging right above the "Go Away" door mat in no time.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::wipes a tear::

Man, KoM and Tante have both definitely found their funny today.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
That price is sending up all kinds of warning bells for me. Even decent quality violins usually cost in the hundreds at least, and good quality ones cost in the thousands. My viola ain't exactly amazing quality and it still cost around $600 - $800. So I'm thinking that if they're selling it for $50, its mass produced by machine with terrible materials. Meaning its going to sound like shite and play like shite.

If you don't care about how it sounds, then go for it. If you actually care about how your playing sounds then I'd hold up and wait for a better one. Either wait until you have the money to purchase a decent one new, lease one, buy it on an installment plan, or wait for a good quality used one for cheap. Stringed instruments often sound better with age as it is [Wink]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I played a cello that I know cost $250, it was a pain, impossible to tune, and the strings all broke in a month. (this was a rental while my school cello was being repaired).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
EEEK! Warning bells!!!!

Many of these cheap violins are UNPLAYABLE in the condition they arrive in! You will have to take it to an instrument repair shop, have them remount the bridge, restring, re-align the sound post, re-fit the pegs, and check all sorts of fun stuff. Overall, you're looking at HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS of work!!

Do yourself a favor. Go to a reputable music store nearby -- perhaps the one that provides repairs and instruments for your local school music programs -- and have the salesperson help you find an appropriate instrument for you. Then, once he tells you what to buy, look for various sources online for that brand and model of violin! Or you can be nice and buy it from the music store, supporting your local economy. The local stores also often have financing options, including free or discounted repairs for the duration of the lease. It's a good thing.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I have just done it so I can still retract my decision should something come up.

What part of "You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder" (displayed whenever one places a bid on eBay) are you having trouble understanding? The time for research is before you place a bid, not after you've committed yourself.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
have them remount the bridge
Yeah, I forgot about that--mine came with the bridge loose (the auction said it would be) so I had to place it myself.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I have just done it so I can still retract my decision should something come up.

What part of "You are agreeing to a contract -- You will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller if you're the winning bidder" (displayed whenever one places a bid on eBay) are you having trouble understanding? The time for research is before you place a bid, not after you've committed yourself.
They have a thirty day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with what you get. That and the fact that they have over 1000 happy customers helped me make the decision.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Well, that's one way to get even with those annoying roommates! They will rue the day they ever crossed you! [Evil]

Aww, but I play good music! [Razz]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I once bought a viola from a company called "Texas Instruments" or something like that. It was $100. I went with my Aunt to a instrument shop and they told me it was a very crappy viola. I sent it back, but never got refunded. [Frown] I would take it to an instrument repair shop they could tell you how the quality is... maybe tell you how you can improve it, if it is possible.
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the place I got Akemi, my guitar sells violins. They probably do.
I reckon it is good as a started instrument to ease the desire to play. Then you can save up for something a bit better.
What I want is an ESP electric guitar like Kaoru's.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Texas Insturments is a calculator company, there could be two, but that's what the well known one is.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'll show it to my high school music teacher. I'll see if I can play with my high school orchestra sometime.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Texas Instruments is a calculator company.. I just remember the company I ordered the instrument from had "Texas" in it. :shrug:
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

ok sorry
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine "Texas Instruments" would be a good spoof name for a musical instruments company. As long as Texas Instruments doesn't mind.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.