FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Life Lessons (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Life Lessons
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
1. If you develop pinkeye in one eye, immediately disinfect all your worldly possessions, or you will surely develop it in the other eye, as well.

2. Don't buy a Dashboard Confessional CD while your boyfriend is out of town.

3. Benson and Stabler will not make out in Season Five no matter how much you put your immense powers of psychic persuasion to use.

What valuable life lessons have you learned today?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Courtesy of class today (The Way of the Shaman):

Never perform a briss in a moving van.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*wince*
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
gasoline + fire = explosion?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
The day you don't perform a backup is the day you will need it.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Always go inside. Whether it be the drugstore, the bank, McDonalds, or the utility company, inside is always faster. And the exercise is good for you.

2) Be decisive. Mexican or Chinese? Liberal Arts or Theoretical Physics? Get married or break up? Here's the secret: it doesn't matter. Just pick one and you'll be fine. The real danger is indecising yourself into permanent stasis. Life will pass you by while you are deciding, and no matter what the result of a big decision is, you never regret it because the journey is so much a part of who you are.

3) You don't need the supersize. Just because someone produces something of a certain size doesn't mean you must consume it. No one needs a liter of Mountain Dew in a single sitting. No one needs 600 calories of cheesy fries as an appetizer. You'll be much healthier once you realize that it's not necessary to eat everything put in front of you. Make it a habit to always leave food on your plate. It takes twenty minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that you're full. So if you finish eating and you're stuffed, you ate for twenty minutes too long.

4) Learn to say the 3 most important words in the English language. No, not those. "I don't know". Those, not "I love you", are the three most important words you can say. This is especially true for guys, many of whom seem to think admitting they don't know something is the first step down that steep slope to womanhood. Not knowing is perfectly normal, and people will respect and trust you if you're confident enough to ask when you don't know something.

------

This is an excerpt from some guidelines I've been assembling for myself. But they're life lessons all the same, and maybe someone else can use them.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
2) Be decisive. Mexican or Chinese? Liberal Arts or Theoretical Physics? Get married or break up? Here's the secret: it doesn't matter. Just pick one and you'll be fine. The real danger is indecising yourself into permanent stasis. Life will pass you by while you are deciding, and no matter what the result of a big decision is, you never regret it because the journey is so much a part of who you are.

I have to heartily agree with this one.

Also, don't rub you're eyes or nose after inserting hot peppers into chili by hand (courtesy of my dad).
And when attempting to light a gasoline soaked pillow on fire, BAD IDEA to stick hand inside of pillow while lighting.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
When you KNOW that someone is a habitual and chronic complainer, don't greet them by asking "How are you?"
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Flush.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, don't rub you're eyes or nose after inserting hot peppers into chili by hand (courtesy of my dad).
It's worse to wipe after doing so.

***Child development classes have little bearing on child raising. They may help you get a job, but won't help you when you're in the trenches.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a possibility you won't have time to get home before your statistics test to eat dinner, pack something to eat so you won't find yourself wondering around campus looking for food when NOTHING is open and being forced to end up eating Doritos for dinner because they were the healthiest thing in the vending machine.

<---hungry

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not play with candles.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't turn on your computer in the morning, you won't be late to class.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I don't turn my computer off at night so that wouldn't make a difference. I have to catch the bus to be on time, and I haven't been more than ten minutes late so far. That was when I biked, after leaving late.

Along the same lines (school), go to office hours and the material will be very much closer to understandable.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
People don't know anything about rabbits and that is sad. Especially when they are vets.

It is near impossible to unfall in love with someone. I don't know what it is about it, but it just seems impossible. You'll end up thinking about this ruddy person while working, at home, while trying to sleep, pretty much every second. It's been going on since July. Enough.

Dir en grey is the best band ever.

Practice the damn guitar already!

You cannot have honey without stings! But I still want more honey and less freaking BEES!

Don't give up, as life is a wonderful thing even as it sucks and drives me insane.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
Annoy people who like to blather on and on about their boyfriend, and/or whine.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Always be prepared for 50% more kids than you were expecting.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Chreese Sroup:
Annoy people who like to blather on and on about their boyfriend, and/or whine.

You know, seriously, I'm getting sick of your bullshit. If you have a problem with me, take it up with me on IM or keep your damn mouth shut.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
If you don't turn on your computer in the morning, you won't be late to class.

Heh... amen to this one.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
Always be prepared for 50% more kids than you were expecting.

[Eek!] Is this something that belongs in the pregnancy thread? [Eek!]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
or a halloween thread?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
1.) Don't pick up vegatable alphabet soup when you wanted vegatable beef. Its horrible.

2.) Don't leave an orange in your backpack for a week.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:

Sadly, I've done that. Life lesson learned.

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
Do not play with candles.

I like playing with candles!

I can't think of any major life lessons, but I'll try to think of something soon.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like playing with candles too.
Just as long as they don't topple over.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Or burn down too far. We had a slight mishap during our Christmas party one year. That was interesting.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
ou ou ou! One time I set a candle in this trophy cup I have ... and left it in my room, unattended. Turns out, the trophy cup was plastic. And plastic burns. My parents were like "What's that smell? And all that smoke?". I smoothly run get a cup of water and slliiddeee back into my room with a shout of 'nothing!' only to see a three foot high flame. Yeah. Oops. Luckily, it only burned a hole in the wall, not the whole house down.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
1) Always go inside. Whether it be the drugstore, the bank, McDonalds, or the utility company, inside is always faster. And the exercise is good for you.

Nuh-uh! How many times have I stood at the counter inside Wendy's and watched everyone rush to get the orders out to the drive-through window while I waited and waited? (Although I can't argue about the exercise!)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
1) If someone looks like they need to vent, don't give them an outlet if there’s no chance of you becoming the target later.

2) Doctors don't always have your best interests in mind.

3) Cheap pens are useless. They're just going to end up exploding and ruining your day.

4) Inflammable means flammable.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Kraft macaroni and cheese is worth the twenty or so extra cents. Nothing beats the neon orange cheese powder. Don't cheap out and buy the store brand. Seriously.

Take your kid roller skating (or to karate class, or to the park, or to the library, etc) even if you are tired or grumpy, even if he has been a little brat all day. Spend a couple of hours doing things you would rather not do, in order to make a memory with your kid. It matters.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a virtue you don't actually have, pretend you do. After awhile, you'll forget that you are pretending.

Give your spare change away. You'll never really miss it and you might feel good all day long for helping someone out.

Make up a kit to go into the trunk of your car with the following things; oil, transmission fluid, washer fluid, break fluid, coolant, some paper towels, jumper cables, some basic tools, a flash light, a blanket, some drinking water and a fire extinguisher.

Put up a key hook by your door and always put your keys there when you get home and you will never lose them again.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirrored Shades
Member # 8957

- posted      Profile for Mirrored Shades           Edit/Delete Post 
Keep the wasabi out of arm's reach from the baby. No, seriously.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Many people are very stupid (in one way or another), and just as many are assholes. Assuming that the people you interact with are both will save you a lot of pain and suffering; however, it will also leave you friendless.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

If you expect a B on a paper, don't be angry when you get that B.

Disinfect.

Converse in parentheticals.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jexx:

Take your kid roller skating (or to karate class, or to the park, or to the library, etc) even if you are tired or grumpy, even if he has been a little brat all day. Spend a couple of hours doing things you would rather not do, in order to make a memory with your kid. It matters.

I needed to hear this. My 2 year old has been misbehaving very much lately. I just need to go out and spend time with him. [Smile]

pH, there's no need to swear. [No No] [Monkeys]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
1) When someone asks if you are a god, you say yes.

2) Shoot zombies in the head.

3) Don't play God.

4)T-Rex's have poor eyesight and run at 30 miles an hour. If you don't have a car, or the terrain sucks, try standing still. You'll probably only live for 10 minutes, either way.

5) Artificial Intelligence will only turn evil if there is a red light that lights up.

6) Never steal a sports almanac from the future.

7) If there is no spoon, how can I eat my soup? No matter what anyone says, there is a spoon.

8) The penanant man kneels before God.

9) If you find yourself living the same day over and over and over, you will live that day over and over and over until you become a good guy. Which means, if you find a way to score on that day, don't be good.

10) Do, or do not, there is no try.

11) Never go to the bathroom without looking for a bomb first.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And when attempting to light a gasoline soaked pillow on fire, BAD IDEA to stick hand inside of pillow while lighting.
Now I'm going to spend a lot of time wondering just how a person goes about learning that particular lesson...

Or, more importantly, why.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I needed this today too. My three year old deserves something fun today, even if I find out she has had an accident today when I pick her up from day care.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
9 of these I got immediately. I'm a showoff, so I thought I'd share.

1) When someone asks if you are a god, you say yes.

Ghostbusters

Don't know. Not a horror fan.

3) Don't play God.

This one's a little nebulous, but just for fun I'll say Bruce Almighty

4)T-Rex's have poor eyesight and run at 30 miles an hour. If you don't have a car, or the terrain sucks, try standing still. You'll probably only live for 10 minutes, either way.

Jurassic Park

5) Artificial Intelligence will only turn evil if there is a red light that lights up.

I, Robot

6) Never steal a sports almanac from the future.

Back to the Future, Part II

7) If there is no spoon, how can I eat my soup? No matter what anyone says, there is a spoon.

The Matrix

8) The penanant man kneels before God.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

9) If you find yourself living the same day over and over and over, you will live that day over and over and over until you become a good guy. Which means, if you find a way to score on that day, don't be good.

Groundhog Day

10) Do, or do not, there is no try.

Return Of the Jedi

11) Never go to the bathroom without looking for a bomb first.

Lethal Weapon 2

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I, Robot

I think this refers to more than just that particular movie -- it seems to be a Sci-fi cliché (though I can't come up with another example off the top of my head). Don't the evil robots always have some red light somewhere? Often it's the eyes. (I know 'robot' is not necessarily synonymous with 'artificial intelligence,' but it fits so well I couldn't pass it up.)
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

The terminators have red eyes, but in I, robot the robots turn from blue to red when they're ordered against the humans.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I thought it was 2001: A Space Odyssey.
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I rest my case. [Wink]
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Jumanji! No, No, the other one. Zathura.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
It is a cliche, not just one movie, but it was during I, Robot where it hit me- when robots turn evil, they light up red. Solution: no red lights, no evil robots.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Never pass up free chocolate.

2) Whenever forced to choose between A or B, always, always, always choose C.

3) "If you called a tail a leg, how many legs would a horse have? Four. You may call it a leg, but its not." Abraham Lincoln

4) Whenever a politician or used car salesman says "Trust me.", dont.

5) Whenever someone says you must make a financial decision now, dont.

6)It is easier to ask forgiveness than get permission, but both will get you slapped severely upside the head.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
The "Do or do not" qoute is actually from the Emprie Strikes Back, not Return of the Jedi.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

A plain white button-down is a rare item at retail stores.

-pH

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Never make big life decisions when you are sick or sleep-deprived. For some reason, during these slightly altered states of consciousness, it seems really important to to just that, but it's beacuse your brain is shorting out. Don't believe me? Write it down and read it again ONLY when you are healthy, well-rested or no longer drunk. THEN you'll understand.

*nods sagely*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Always return your library books on time, because the business office has no mercy, and though they do have a sense of humor it is not frequently a good thing for grad students.

Don't recall books that you can get off of ohiolink--it is extremely bad karma. (It may also get you cursed or poisioned--I'm trying to decide which is better)

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Don't know. Not a horror fan.

Every. zombie. movie. ever.

Lesson. An 8 year old boy with an avacodo pit and a resistance band is up to no good.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.