FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Magic in Everyday Life

Author Topic: Magic in Everyday Life
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I was driving home the other day and crested a hill. The music swelled to crescendo and the moon, sliver of crescent luminescence peaked out from behind the hill. The sky was streaks of cottony glowing clouds and I could swear it was magic.

I often find myself taken aback while driving, getting to see such breath-taking displays of nature.

I was thinking that magic is around, in the people we love, the music that moves us, in the sights we treasure.

*feels silly* [Blushing]

Anyway...anyone else feel the magic of everyday life?

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the other day, I cleared a clogged toilet by waving my hands over it and chanting "plunge-plunge-plunge". Someone else caught me doing it and said "You need to actually use a plunger, not just wave your hands". Then the toilet clog disappeared, and the bowl drained with a happy flushing noise.

"Oops", I said, "Now that you know about my secret powers, I have the choice of either killing you or making you my thrall"

She chose thrall.

Oh, and when my kid was a toddler, before he understood that locks were meant to make doors unopenable, he could open locked doors just like that by turning the knob and wanting the door to open.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I often feel like I'm privileged in experiencing magic like that, Stone Wolf. It's even enough for me if I'm just outside at twilight and I look up at the sky, or if I'm walking, and I see light glisten from behind the leaves of trees as I walk.

The world can be a beautiful place if you look at it right. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in fourth grade, I could make the wind blow by raising my arms.

When I was in sixth grade, I could stop myself from having nightmares by blinking twice.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in nursery school (about 4 years old), I figured out how to stop the incessant recurring nightmares I was having by having a song about snow run through my head over and over as I fell asleep, because my parents called the static on the TV "snow". It worked.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone_Wolf_, thanks for reminding me of a reason why I should go out walking this morning besides for my health. The "magic" seems to happen outdoors a lot more often than it does while sitting in front of a computer! ;-)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to believe I was a water-soul, for I loved to swim and could watch the fish at the aquarium for hours.

Now I have transformed into an air-soul, for whenever I see a bird fly, I smile.

One day I will right a book on magic/Magic, mystery/Mystery, and power/Power. Today I will leave you with these thoughts.

If magic is the power to change reality by saying special words of power, or enscribing them on parchment combined with special movements of the body, and if those who use that power are adored for thier skill, and feared for their misuse of that power, then in our world Magicians are:

Politicians--who change waht is right and wrong by creating new law.

Judges--who daily change the fates of people all over this land.

Lawyers--who weave new realities of words and possibilities to defend their colients or convict their advisaries.

Salesmen--who perform the ultimate alchemy, of turning their lead into your gold--and keeping that gold, while charming you into thanking them for the trade.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Salesmen--who perform the ultimate alchemy, of turning their lead into your gold--and keeping that gold, while charming you into thanking them for the trade.

ahem... Sales people, help make people's dreams come true.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirrored Shades
Member # 8957

- posted      Profile for Mirrored Shades           Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean about everyday magic, Stone Wolf... It's that moment where you look up and there are the mountains, and the sun's hitting them just right so that everything glows. Or when you're walking on a flat beach next to a flat ocean while the sun sets, and the tide has just gone out so the sand is wet, and everything is reflecting the same color back at you: the sand, the water, the sky, and you can't tell where one ends and the other begins, stretching out for as far as the eye can see.

On the other hand, my family was once on a road trip when my sister and I were younger, and we'd been sitting in silence for a few hours. We hit a bump in the road, and she and I both said 'Bumpity, bump, bump.' At the exact same moment, and for no reason at all, it had nothing to do with anything I was thinking about, at any rate. It was a bumpy road, too, so why that bump, at that moment...? Must have been magic.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Growing up, my sister and I used to love to do this trick. We'd look at each other and say "I'll get it!" A moment later, the phone would ring. When outsiders would ask how we did that, my mother would say that her daughters were a little witchy.

I have no idea how we did it -- we would just look at each other and know that someone was dialing our number.

If we did it alone, it just seemed show-offy, but it was fun if we could say it in unison.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*likes the remembering of magical in everyday events*

*smiles*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Every now and then, I'll be in the car and the lyrics to a song will pop into my head. (A song not being played at the moment.) I'll be singing it under my breath and change the station and there it will be at the exact spot I am singing. This isn't so strange except that sometimes the song will either be a very obscure one or a song not played anymore or a song that doesn't fit that particular station.

When I was a kid, I used to stare out the window of our station wagon, which we took on vacations, and I would make up stories about the stars I could see. One in particular was so bright and steady that I made up an elaborate story of a wayward fairy on her way home, and she was using our station wagon as a guide. It wasn't until later that I learned that bright, steady stars weren't stars at all, but planets. And yes, she did get home safely. So did we.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
One night I was working late on an essay and had music playing on my computer. This song (which I THOUGHT I didn't like because it started out weird - French w/tinny drum machine) snuck by my ears and continued to play without me going "Ack turn it off". A minute passed, and suddenly I found myself bobbing my head in time to a tasty jazz pulse and crazy improv, and I said, how the heck did this song go from putrid to "YEAH!" ?

It's always magical when a composer "tricks" me and I find out later I really like the end result of the song.

Also, Eric Whitacre's "Water Night" is magical.
www.ericwhitacre.com , click on main site, preview player is on the left, click "Water Night" -Choral.

Below happens only once or twice a year where I live, and it's magical.
http://earendil18.home.comcast.net/onlinestorage/PrairieView2L.png

Space is crazy magical.
And how they make those little twisties...

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
As one who lives in an enchanted forest and practices magic...yes, it's all around. You just have to not forget to look for it. When we are children, the world is so magical. We sometimes forget as we grow up to look at it that way.

Just the other day, a huge red-tailed hawk perched a little ways outside my window. We looked at each other. I rose to get a better look. It saw me and flew away. Then, the next week, it was back and my daughter saw it too. That was magic!

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I'd have to say one of the most magical thing I used to experience was waking up next to my girlfriend (now ex) everymorning in bed. And at 7am the light always made her long blonde hair shine like threads of gold.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to cause street lights to turn off or burn out.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
.... [Eek!]

Wow. I want to be able to do that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Growing up, my sister and I used to love to do this trick. We'd look at each other and say "I'll get it!" A moment later, the phone would ring. When outsiders would ask how we did that, my mother would say that her daughters were a little witchy.

I have no idea how we did it -- we would just look at each other and know that someone was dialing our number.

If we did it alone, it just seemed show-offy, but it was fun if we could say it in unison.

That's actually a known phenomenon, and doesn't require anything psychic. When you receive a phone call, there's a lag, sometimes of a second, but usually more like half a second, between the telephone receiving the signal and the phone actually ringing. I guess it depends on the phone, but this was for sure the case with old phones.

We hear electomagnetic buzzing all around us all the time. We just filter it out. It's like how I used to hear my heart beat when I had my ear to the pillow as a kid, and it eventually went away. The sound didn't go away; my brain just filtered it out.

Kids learn, at least to a certain extent, by conditioning. It doesn't always have to be conscious, and in fact, it often isn't. So when a particular type of buzz is always followed by the phone ringing, you just learn to associate it that way. You're never conscious of hearing anything, but you are perceiving it, and it tells you that the phone is about to ring.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

When I was in 4th grade, I was over at a friend's house. At the time Olivia Newton-John's song "Have You Never Been Mellow" was in its... I don't know, something like 300th week at #1, and it was constantly on the air.

And I had braces.

So I told my friend that I could pick up radio signals with my braces, and that if he turned on the radio, "Have You Never Been Mellow" would be playing. Of course, he didn't believe me, so he turned on a radio, and fiddled with the dial, and sure enough, it was on one of the stations. Spooked him good.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

Still it is freaky that they could pick that up. Even freakier that they used it in front of others (showoffs).
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ahem... Sales people, help make people's dreams come true.
That would be, Good Salespeople. Then again, so do good magicians.

Last weekend I watched "Return To Neverland" with my son. It was set during WWII, with Wendy's daughter escaping the Blitz by visiting Wonderland. For a few moments I wondered, "How could we live in a world with Auschwitz and Tinkerbell." Then I realized, "How could we live in a world with Auschwitz, but without Tinkerbell."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Still it is freaky that they could pick that up. Even freakier that they used it in front of others (showoffs).

<blink> You mean you wouldn't?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
I tend to cause street lights to turn off or burn out.

Doubtful.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
[QUOTE] For a few moments I wondered, "How could we live in a world with Auschwitz and Tinkerbell." Then I realized, "How could we live in a world with Auschwitz, but without Tinkerbell."

I love that thought -- thanks for sharing.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a wonderful thought. It reminds me of Life is Beautiful, which I loved.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I met this girl, and I know a lot more about magic because she is in my life.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

awww...
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that emotion.

I love views from the car. On my way home I often get to see my city's skyline during sunset. It's gorgeous. Moonscapes are too.

I always have a very conflicting experience while driving though. I can hardly take my eyes off the sky/view, but I need to be looking at the road. It's most frustrating.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.