FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spider-Man 3 Poster!

Author Topic: Spider-Man 3 Poster!
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
BAM

So, the symbiote. Discuss.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for one thing, I'll be really disappointed if the design for the symbiote turns out to be his regular suit in greyscale.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom. That would be lame.
It's early though, and just a teaser poster, so hopefully there's more to it.

I'd been hoping since Spiderman 1 that if they do go with a Venom storyline they spread it over two movies. Like have Peter get the Venom suit near the end of one movie and use it to defeat the villain, but also be sort of scared of it. Then he could throw it away/try to destroy it at the end or the beginning of the next, and Venom could be one of the villains of the next movie.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the symbiote?

Looks more like a "night scene" to me. Or a B&W photo.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A two parter would be nice, but somehow I doubt it. The movie industry is blowing through the comic book movies, raping and pillaging as they go. Taking the time to do everything right isn't exactly in their playbook.

The suit IS disappointing, I hope, but doubt that it will be changed.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a teaser poster. More often than not they are based on works in progress, or are intentionally misleading. I'm betting that the costume will look much better in the end. I mean, studios employ professional costume designers. Surely for a multi-million dollar project like Spider-man they can do better than just the normal costume in grey scale, right?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
It's just a teaser poster. More often than not they are based on works in progress, or are intentionally misleading. I'm betting that the costume will look much better in the end. I mean, studios employ professional costume designers. Surely for a multi-million dollar project like Spider-man they can do better than just the normal costume in grey scale, right?

You'd like to think that...
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Spidey. Venom. Spidey. Venom.

Helloooooo, nurses!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the symbiote, then why wouldn't it just be his suit in greyscale? I know the comics did this whole different design thing for the black suit, but in real life, would Peter really do that? I doubt that he would really go through the whole design process again to "re-imagine" the spider suit. I think that he would be more excited about the suit regeneration powers than how the thing looks.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
My real question is: Symbiote, alien or really screwed-up lab experiment? Hmmmm.
Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:
If it's the symbiote, then why wouldn't it just be his suit in greyscale? I know the comics did this whole different design thing for the black suit, but in real life, would Peter really do that? I doubt that he would really go through the whole design process again to "re-imagine" the spider suit. I think that he would be more excited about the suit regeneration powers than how the thing looks.

I'm not really a comic buff, but I thought that the symbiote kind of designed itself (possibly from reading Peter's mind?). After all, it was just a pure black skin suit with a white spider emblem. Peter didn't consciously design its appearance, nor did it simply copy his old suit. At least, that's what I thought.

Oh, and I'm guessing they'll go the 'messed-up science experiment' route, a la the Ultimate Spider-man comics rather than the alien story from the original comics. The former is more down to Earth (no pun intended) and requires less back story.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mind explaining to me (or linking me to an explanation of) exactly what the Ultimate Spider-Man explanation for the black suit is?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The jist of it was that the fathers of Peter Parker and Eddie Brock were medical scientists working on their own to create a cure to cancer. The families were friends, and Eddie Brock (though perhaps five years older than Peter) and Peter Parker were friends when children as well.

They came up with something they called 'the suit', the black costume we knew in regular Marvel as an alien symbiotic organism. This biological creation (it actually is alive) did everything short of curing cancer, if memory serves. It makes the wearer more healthy, stronger, faster, the whole shebang. That's for a normal human being, of course. For Peter Parker, it amplifies his abilities even further. He is able to take a straight shot to the torso without being harmed, for instance.

But the process of creating the suit was very expensive, and Parker and Brock were not working for a massive corporation-they were largely on their own. Parker Sr. used some of his own DNA in the creation and testing process, and so the suit 'recognizes' Peter Parker somewhat.

Thus far the suit does not have any intelligence, or any scheme of any sort beyond simple existence. They changed Carnage quite a bit too. Carnage is no longer an offspring of the suit.

As for the poster and the costume, well actually depending on when the picture is supposed to represent, I don't really have a problem. It's possible (I'm hoping for this, really) that it's representing a time when Peter is wearing the symbiote and unaware of anything wrong with it, a time when it might be mimicking his own normal costume with its own special color scheme. Time will tell what Venom will actually look like.

If Venom appears to be a grey-scale Spider-Man, I would be very annoyed.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
The suit is visibly different with "Lizard"scale bumps in the new texuring.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Venom was able to morph into any suit so you could be wearing it it public and look like you had on regular clothes.

Spiderman looks tired in the picture. Maybe he was out as venom and the picture is "taken" as the suit is morphing back into his Spiderman Outfit.

That was my first thought.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thus far the suit does not have any intelligence, or any scheme of any sort beyond simple existence.
So does Peter reject the suit as he rejected the symbiote? If it has no scheme, it sounds like he'd want to keep it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well Dag, I forgot to mention that along with amplifying his strength, speed, agility, and endurance it also seems to amplify his emtions. The moment of rejection comes when he's after a thief who while robbing a store shoots and kills a man, with his family there watching if I remember correctly.

He then starts having mental flashes confusing this murderer with the murderer of Uncle Ben, and though it's not explicitly stated, it appears the suit has something to do with that. It then apparently acts on his desire to kill the thief, and goes all Venomy-toothy on the guy.

This scares Peter not so much because he felt the desire to kill the guy (he's gone through that before, actually in the Ultimate series), but because the suit was amplifying it that lust for blood and decided to go for the kill on its own.

So I guess it does have a bit of a scheme: impulse control reduction, more or less. But tied up in all of this is that he basically stole the suit from Eddie Brock, and Eddie is furious about it, and Peter feels guilty. In the Ultimate Spider-Man, Brock actually has some legitimate grievance with Parker, even though he was a slimeball before ever getting involved with Parker / Spider-Man.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the Ultimate Spider-Man, Brock actually has some legitimate grievance with Parker
Excellent. I hated the sin-eater expose rationale for Eddie's hatred. Does the suit bring some of Spidey's strength back with it to Eddie? From your description, it doesn't sound as if it would make him stronger than Spidey.

Of course, in the original comic, they fudged the greater strength thing, too.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20X6
Member # 6447

- posted      Profile for 20X6   Email 20X6         Edit/Delete Post 
What gets me is that Topher Grace is Venom. I mean, could they have found skinner person to play the role of the muscle-bound Venom?!? He had better be on a serious diet of protien and barbells.

Edit: now if Topher Grace isn't the guy off of That 70's Show let me know so I don't feel stupid.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, it's difficult to tell just how strong Venom was before his apparent demise. Peter felt horribly guilty for Eddie's transformation, and was pulling punches for quite awhile.

However, the suit is a learning, adaptive biological machine. It doesn't 'learn' in terms of gaining intelligence, but apparently what it picks up from one host, it carries within it from that point on. One reason it grafted to Peter so quickly was that Peter's father had used some of his own DNA in crafting the suit, so it 'recognized' Peter, if memory serves.

And you're right about old Marvel's Venom. Eddie Brock's whole persecution complex was just stupid, and left me with zero sympathy for him.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Would someone please upload it somewhere else so I can see it? My work blocks AICN and Google isn't helping me right now. Pretty please? *bats eyelashes*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia-- here's an alternate image Spidey 3
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott, you're a gem.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Also, for any gamers out there, the Ultimate Spider-man video game continues the Venom story beyond what was in the comic. The game's story is written by the guys who write the comic, and it is considered canon within the Ultimate universe, I believe.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It is. The guy who cowrote it with Bendis is now co-writing the Spider-Woman series with him.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
i cant believe Topher Grace is playing venom.... damn. i dont really like that guy and i think he is out of place playing venom.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it official he is playing Venom? The only official thing I have seen was that he was in the movie. They haven't said who he is playing.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I think that Kirsten Dunst was quoted as saying that he was playing Venom, but I also read that she reported incorrect information about Spider-man 2 when it was in its early stages... So believe what you will.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
On the official Spiderman site, I think it's there, there's a little database of potential spiderman villains with a little tagline that says something like 'who's next?'

I hate that they are purposely teasing us.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I thought Gwen Stacy was supposed to be a central part of Spidey's third movie.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the 4th movie: KirstenDunst signed onto the franchise with the understanding that she would not continue beyond the 3rd. So it's probable that MaryJane will step out of the series in the upcoming movie.

[ February 27, 2006, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mankind
Member # 2672

- posted      Profile for Mankind   Email Mankind         Edit/Delete Post 
Gwen Stacy is in the new one.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

It's funny that the movie series has things backwards, in that Gwen was Peter's high school love, and he met M.J. afterward. In fact, the incident in the first movie with Spider-man saving M.J. from the Green Goblin on the bridge is similar to what happened with Gwen in the comics... except that he coudn't save her...
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! I was wondering when they would finally release the third movie.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

It's still not until 2007 though...
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
How can no one have posted this link yet:

Spiderman 3 Teaser

Looks live the suit goes from spidey suit, to the greyscale spidey suit, to the venom suit we all know and love from the comics.

Looks to be interesting though.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Um, you know that it's fake, right? I mean, there are scenes straight out of the first 2 movies. The colour was simply changed to make the green goblin costume yellow (a la the Hobgoblin), and the same was done with the Spidey costume to make it black. It's all photoshop stuff and some creative editing. Venom didn't look too bad though.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see... I see Spiderman 1 and 2 in there, In Good Company for Topher Grace. Alien, with photoshop and X-Men 2 for the bubbling black stuff.

If that was real, I wouldn't waste 7 bucks to go see it.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

If it was real, it wouldn't have cost 7 bucks to make!
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, that's comforting. I was deeply worried about the Venom mask smiling thing.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's Topher Grace, I can see how he could bulk up. I mean, whatshisface was pretty skinny before he played Spidey, too.

And then he got super skinny again for that horse movie.

Whatever. Venom on Spidey action. I'll pay for that.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.