FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is the world coming to?

Author Topic: What is the world coming to?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
When you say to your child about a particular behavior, "I'm NOT amused." *stern look*

And they grin engagingly and reply, "I am."

*deep forbearing sigh*

*grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
he's almost a teenager
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, were I a parent and my kid said that, I'd have a hard time not laughing. It sounds exactly like something I'd say in the same situation.

God I'm going to be a horrible parent someday.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm with Adam on this one. That sounds exactly like the smart-alek retort I would give my parents, and I would find it immensly amusing if someone said that to me.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is the world coming to?
Mario!

[ February 25, 2006, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: cheiros do ender ]

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm a parent or anything, but I always found one of the talk backs to be:

"Drop it." (referring to a bad attitude)

"Drop what? I'm not carrying anything."

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dick Button
Member # 9197

- posted      Profile for Dick Button   Email Dick Button         Edit/Delete Post 
"he's almost a teenager"

He's sort of a cross between a street kid and a surfer dude.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I feel your pain!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the time I said something mean to my sister, and told my mom, "Well, she said it FIRST!"

Mom: "Two wrongs don't make a right."
Me: "No, but three lefts do!"

[Eek!]
[ROFL]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the king of being a smart aleck.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When you say to your child about a particular behavior, "I'm NOT amused." *stern look*

And they grin engagingly and reply, "I am."

Well, dear, laugh yourself all the way to the kitchen and amuse the dishes until they are clean. And then the refridgerator could use a real pick me up, so do your best standup with a sponge there....

[Wink]

Much as the mouthiness and smart alec attitude wears a bit, I am sure enjoying my almost-teenage boy. He slays me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

I took him sledding today and wore him out. That made him all cute and cuddly again.

[Evil Laugh]

Ahhh -- parenting!

I'm gonna practice my verbal retorts --

*even more evil grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The appropriate response is along the lines of:

"Well, I'm glad that YOU are amused, young man. Why don't you just AMUSE yourself into the garage and start sweeping it out?"

And once he has left the room, you are free to crack up all you like.

And hey, where is our Sasha quote of the day? That kid is slacking off.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Oooohhhh - I like that Tante! What a great pearl! I'll use that tomorrow.

*grin*

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I always prefer to use the royal we ...

"We are not amused" sounds so much more dignified. But then I've always been something of a smart alec mineself.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.