FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I failed to mention...

Author Topic: I failed to mention...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't told you guys yet. But I got my Driver's Permit in January. I just kept forgetting to say something about it.

I actually failed the test three times before I got it. That is what I get for not studying. The only reason I passed it the fourth time was I looked up the right answers for the questions I knew I'd gotten wrong.

It was a bit of a disaster. When I was doing the eye-sight thing, I was looking into the viewer at an odd angle. The guy there told me to read the letters. So, I read the three rows I saw. Apparently there was another row of letters, I had to move over a little bit so I could see it.

And then he asked me on which side of me the lights were blinking. They were blinking on both sides, so I said both.

"Which side?"

"Both sides, sir."

"And which side is that?"

"The left and the right..."

"Good, ok you passed."

I guess he wanted to make sure I knew my left from my right? I don't know why my first answer didn't work.

But, anywho, be careful when you're talking a walk. Because I can legally drive now.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Steve. Driving can open up a whole new world to you.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Like the inside of the police station. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know? The Police Station is the only building that I know the exact location of over here in Saratoga Springs... It kinda scares some of my friends around here.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Steve! Woo hoo!
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
Y'know? The Police Station is the only building that I know the exact location of over here in Saratoga Springs... It kinda scares some of my friends around here.

And why is that?
Ender12
Member # 8873

- posted      Profile for Ender12   Email Ender12         Edit/Delete Post 
aww! nothin like having the freedom to leave when parents seem unbearable!
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on which part you refer too.

1) I avoid Saratoga Springs like the plague. There is nothing for me over there that I can't get closer to my house. That and Traffic is all jacked up due to the way the roads are set up.

2) I have no idea why it's the only building that I know where it is. I've only had to go into a couple of jails to bail some old friends out, and that wasn't one of them.

3) I have no idea why it scares them. I have had very few interactions with the Police around here. The first was for speeding when it had just changed limits...warning. The second was for a swerve. It was about 10 below and the truck hadn't warmed up yet and my fingers were numb...warning.

BTW, I had nothing to drink for either of them. That's what taxis are for, but you don't have to worry about that for another 6 years or so.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, during my last eye test the entire left half of the viewer was broken. I made a fairly entertaining scene when I discovered this when I was renewing my license this past time. I blame the 4.5 hour wait I'd been through...

DMV Peon #582: "Please close your left eye and read row number three."
Me: "A 4 V F R Q"
DMV Peon #582: "Good. Please close your right eye and read row number three."
Me: ".... OH NO, I'VE GONE BLIND"
DMV Peon #582: "Good. Wait, wha..."
Me: *looks up from the viewer* "HOORAY, I'M CURED!"
DMV Peon #582: "..."
Me: *looks back into viewer* "OH NO, NOT AGAIN! You know, on second thought I think the left half of your viewer thing is broken."
DMV Peon #582: "Really? Alright, try the next one down."

Note: No offense to any Arizona or Maricopa Country DMV employees. You all have my sincerest condolences. I'm just still terribly bitter two years later. My assigned number was #582, and when I got out of the 45 minute line they were helping #560. I didn't think that was too bad, until I realized I had to wait for the number system to lap around once. 122 people and over three hours after that, I wound up a jaded AZ driver.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I'm so glad I live in a small town. My wait was only about five minutes.
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad I don't have to go back for 40 years (and no, that isn't a joke).
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
May I be the first to wish you Mazel Tov! Learn how to read a map -- a map and a car are a great combination.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Maps? We don't need no stinkin Maps! [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
MEN don't -- but WOMEN know how to read and use 'em . . . And it sure beats the heck out of circling the same block a half-dozen times while the MAN avoids looking at a map -- and god forbid, stopping and asking for directions!

[Taunt]

Congrat's on the driver's license, dear -- get a friend who can read the map for you. *wink*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
We men trust our instincts for direction over any map. [Wink]

[ROFL] Oh, I just couldn't hold a strait face while saying that. The first thing I was forced to learn is that in my city I had better keep a map or I'll get lost forever.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

Admittedly, I do use maps. On backpacking trips. I use them on my long road trip, but it's just for which highway to which highway. I look at it before I leave on trip, decide which highways I want to take, and never look at it again. Of course, for this reason I try to minimize the amount of highways I use.

Oh, an' I never did congratulate you for the permit. Congratulations, may your parents not go white knuckled when you are behind the wheel.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Its not a license; its a permit. I CAN drive, but I can only drive if one of my parents are sitting in the passenger seat. You can't get your license until you are 16 here in Missouri.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember my first licence. The written exam was administered by Mike Wilson's Mom. When she corrected the pencil and paper test, She kept saying; "A?" "Are you sure you didn't mean C?" etc. After she proof-read the thing, I passed. I did parallel park by my self.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Who is Mike Wilson?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
He shaired a locker with me in School.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Gotcha.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.