FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bartending 101 (Now updated for the Leprechauns) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bartending 101 (Now updated for the Leprechauns)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping this isn't outside the bounds of propriety here at Hatrack. If it is, I'll happily delete.

---
NOTE: Potential Mayfly, post at your own risk. [Smile]
---

Advent is taking bartending class at a local university, and I have some bartending experience with mixed drinks. I'm trying like the dickens to get smarter about wines, both red and white.

Anyone want to share info, tips, or fascinating finer points of the terroir?

----

DISCLAIMER: Nobody should drink if it is either illegal or unsafe, or if it is both. Nobody should engage in behaviors that they believe they morally should not engage in.

[ March 17, 2006, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What are bitters, exactly? I know what they're used for, but I don't know what they are.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Never dip glasses into your ice bin. Always use a scoop.

While this may seem like an extra step in the process, I have on more than one occassion been tending bar with another bartender who broke a glass in the ice.

That ice bin was dead to us for the rest of the night, and we had to run and get a plastic tub to work out of until we could flush the entire ice bin with hot water and clean the glass out of the drain.

Not. Cool.

I'll probably think of more cautionary tales, but that's the first that sprung to mind.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet german wines are an underappreciated delight.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Great question and great tip!

I'll look up "bitters," but I don't think it's actually bitter.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Bushmills Irish Cream is cheaper and better than Baileys.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What is everyone's favorite mixed drink that's not mixed with soft drinks? I need to find something without caffeine, but all the ones I know of are girly (cosmopolitan, screwdriver) or gross (whiskey and water). Any suggestions?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Sweet german wines are an underappreciated delight.

Yes!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Gin and tonic? Technically tonic could be a "soft drink" but no caffeine.

Fruit juice (cranberry) with vodka.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Gin smells like pine needles and makes me angry.

Cranberry and vodak == sissy. But I like the idea of mixing with tonic water. I should get some and experiment.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Long Island Iced Teas are made with Coke but only a splash for color. I'm sure a bartender would omit it if you asked. Shouldn't change the taste. If it's made right, you shouldn't taste the alcohol.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
JT, get a sour. An Ammaretto Sour is sweet and kinda girly, a whiskey sour less so, a Wild Turkey Sour and no one's going to make fun of you, and the sour might be enough to make up for the Wild Turkey. [Wink]

A 7&7 is mixed with 7-up, so it's got a soft drink but no caffine. I'm fond of margaritas on the rocks, myself, but that's probably too girly for you. Hmmm. I'll think on it.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
What are bitters, exactly? I know what they're used for, but I don't know what they are.

From my post on the subject at the SR:
Aromatic bitters are a highly-concentrated flavoring agent consisting of a spirits base flavored with aromatic plants: roots, barks, herbs, seeds and/or berries.

So it's booze with roots and stuff for flavoring. If memory serves, it's 40 proof.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Is grapefruit and vodka still sissy? I think that's called a Greyhound. But it's pink, so it's probably out. [Razz]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
White wines are best served chilled with white meat or dishes with white sauces (alfredo, butter and garlic ect.) Red wines are best served at room temperature with red meat or dishes with red sauces. However, you can always feel comfortable ordering whatever wine you'd like.

When ordering a wine, a server should present the label for you to inspect. After he/she uncorks it, at really fancy restaurants, they'll allow you to inspect the cork as well, so you can make sure it's not too wet.

Not sure if it's relevant, but I thought I'd share what wine knowledge I have [Smile]

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
A 7&7 is mixed with 7-up, so it's got a soft drink but no caffine. I'm fond of margaritas on the rocks, myself, but that's probably too girly for you. Hmmm. I'll think on it.

The first seven in the 7&7 stands for Seagram's Seven, a brand of blended whiskey.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

So vodka and tonic.

ps: real men can drink sissy drinks.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

According to my online reading, the addition of "bitters" is what makes a mixed drink technically a cocktail. Huh.

---

Edited to add: from dailyLush magazine's "Know your mixed drinks" article.

Epictetus
Member # 6235

I personally love rum mixed with pinapple and orange juice. I forget what it's called, but it is really good.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
ps: real men can drink sissy drinks.

True, but what seperates the men from the boys is whether or not they can also drink the "manly" stuff.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I remember your saying that now, Primal Curve. Not sure why the information didn't lodge in my brain before.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I don't mind drinking something pink; I'm secure in my manhood. But not secure enough for vodka and cranberry.

Amaretto Sour and Long Island Iced Tea are both excellent suggestions (and excellent drinks). I drink both of those occasionally. LIITs are just too potent to drink all night, though. Three good ones and I'm seeing triple.

I actually love blended strawberry margaritas, but I only drink them at Mexican restaurants.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Leonard Cohen's Red Needle: tequila, cranberry juice, and lemon.

Yeah, it's red, but it's no girly Cosmopolitan. And it's Leonard Cohen, so you can't get much more male than that.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(I personally go for the scotch (whiskey) either neat or over ice, myself.)
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Originally posted by Epictetus:
After he/she uncorks it, at really fancy restaurants, they'll allow you to inspect the cork as well, so you can make sure it's not too wet.

Actually, wine can go bad due to contamination in a way that's referred to as "corked." You look at and/or smell the cork to check for signs of that, but most people, myself included, don't know enough to recognize it. Here's some info on it.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, I'm not manly enought to drink straight scotch. Unless it's a shot, and that's just wasteful.
ElJay
Member # 6358

How about White Russians, JT?

I'm a whiskey drinker, too. [Smile] Redbreast Irish Whiskey, in particular. Smoothest stuff in the world.

Epictetus
Member # 6235

Thanks for the link ElJay. I'm just going off my little handbooks of miscellaneous knowledge, more info is always appreciated
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Amaretto Sours. But yeah, might be a bit girly.

My mom drinks Manhattans. I've eaten the cherries from her drinks, and it's a nice taste. Not sure what's in it, though.

Russians (I prefer White, my younger sister prefers Black) are yummy, too.

Question: my older sister taught be to order the first as "Amaretto Stone Sour". I've ordered it without the "stone", and it comes out the same, as far as I can tell. Anybody know what the "stone" means, or is it just a local variation on the name?

Also. I am not currently drinking at all since I take Paxil CR 12.5 once a day. Is it safe for me to have maybe one drink while taking Paxil on a VERY occasional basis? I'm not a heavy drinker at all, and don't drink to get drunk, but every now and then I like to have a drink for the taste. I'm very much willing to go without, but it'd be nice to have a cocktail at a special occasion (like when I went to Detroit and had a white russian at the top of the Milennium Center. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I don't mind White Russians, but I don't think I could drink them all night. More of a novelty drink in my mind.

You know what I had a few weeks ago that was really good? A Mojito. It was delicious, and a lot of fun to say.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

What about martinis? James BOnd drinks those.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mint julip, please. I'd like to know how to make one. Must have the drama of the Southern belle. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge fan of vodka and tonic.

Huge, HUGE fan.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Olivet,

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink5382.html

It's a good site for pretty much any other drink I've been able to think of, too. I've been browsing for ideas for about 30 minutes.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Vodka & Cranberry == Cape Cod
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't remember the url, but there's a site that lets you enter what kinds of alcohol you have handy and then spits out a list of drinks with recipes you can make with them, assuming normal mixers. It's great if you're going to have a party and want to offer a drink menu but don't want to go out and buy a lot of alcohol to make specific drinks that you'll probably never make again.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought vodka and cranberry was a Sea Breeze.

I'm a bourbon drinker myself. Bourbon and coke - very simple, yet very good.

edit: xnera, I took Paxil for awhile and continued to drink and didn't have any problems. Of course, my liver might be about to explode or something.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
A good Long Island Iced Tea has about 28% alcohol, and you can barely taste any of it. Its a miracle drink, really.

A bad long island tastes nasty, though. Oddly enough, some of the weakest long islands I've had were also the worst tasting.

Why would anyone want to drink the nasty, foul, "manly" drinks when you can get way more alcohol faster and better tasting with a long island [Dont Know] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhubarb wine is divine! Just tried it recently, and YUM!

Big fan of margaritas, myself. Lime, extra tequila, please.

I thought vodka and cranberry was a pink lady, but I've always gotten weird looks when I ask for one.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
I thought vodka and cranberry was a Sea Breeze.

Possibly in your region. I've noticed that about mixed drinks- the name changes from area to area, even bar to bar.

I think the more common name is Cape Cod, though.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Long Island Iced Teas are made with Coke but only a splash for color."

Untrue, according to my husband, a bartender of 25 years.(the Coke is essential for the taste, he says. And his are goood.)

A Greyhound is vodka and grapefruit juic-white grapefruit juice, officially(since pink has a sweeter taste.)

A Sea Breeze is Cranberry juice, vodka, and grapefruit juice.

A Cape Codder is vodka and cranberry juice. (I love it with limes.)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

This just in:
A Pink Lady is gin, milk(or cream) and grenadine.

YUCK!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm gonna do any heavy drinking, I always start off with a White Russian (with real cream, and it has to have a cherry). After that it is all fair game except for most drinks that contain rum, scotch, or whiskey.

If I just want to be completely social, I drink beer. Corona mainly. It costs a bit more than other beers so I tend to drink less and enjoy my time more.

<----Starts remembering the old days when I used to drink a plenty. Wait, those were actually the bad days. I love Tequila, but am not allowed to drink it anymore. Something about the fact that I drank enough of it in half an hour that I gave myself alchohol poisoning. That isn't fun.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
Why would anyone want to drink the nasty, foul, "manly" drinks when you can get way more alcohol faster and better tasting with a long island [Dont Know] .

Who says that manly drinks are nasty and foul? A good scotch is smooth and packs one hell of a punch.

28% Alcohol? Pfft. Any booze consumed straight will have significantly more alcohol than that. Most good whiskeys will be sporting at least 40-50% alcohol by volume (80-100 proof).

Beer may have significantly less alcohol, but that's not really the point. Beer is a drink that goes well with manly activities: Cook Outs, Fishing, Gunplay. You know, that kind of thing.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Another tip:

My husband never leaves a lemon or lime in the drink. He squeezes the juice in. He says the rind has an incredible amount of bacteria.

Also, beware of any ice at fast food places or restaurants. There was a big study done-more bacteria found than toilet water!

Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bitters are used to flavor sweet martinis and cocktails such as Manhattans and Old Fashioned.

A Tip: Bitters and soda is an excellent remedy for an upset stomach. It's jokingly referred to as the Bartender's Alka Seltzer.

I usually don't drink hard alcohol as I have no tolerance, but I will occasionally order drinks with vodka. I prefer wine (but once again, no more than 2 glasses, I'm so sad), and beer. Beer is underappreciated: there are so many different flavors of it!

Tip #2: For people who dislike the taste of alcohol and want a mixed drink, make a martini/cocktail with vodka (Vanilla) and a chocolate liquer of some kind. They are DELICIOUS and somewhat dangerous b/c they taste sooo good.

Tip #3: I find a lot of people who don't like the taste of beer like lighter, citrusy, and crisp beers such as Blue Moon. Served with orange, it's downright tasty.

How can y'all drink Long Islands? I did, once, in Las Vegas, and I only have a vague memory of dancing at the Bellagio...man, I need to carboload before I drink or something.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"A Tip: Bitters and soda is an excellent remedy for an upset stomach. It's jokingly referred to as the Bartender's Alka Seltzer."

Also, bittes dripped on a lime wedge, and bitten into, can cure hiccups.

As does lemon with Worcestereshire Sauce. (Lea and Perrins, of course.)

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

A tip for beer:

Slice a fresh jalapeno or other fresh chile, and drop a slice into a beer. Be careful of your lips!

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't like the Coke, you can go for a Long Beach Iced Tea - slightly different flavor.

Long Island is Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequila, Triple Sec, Sour Mix and Coke

Long Beach is Vodka, Gin, Rum, Triple Sec, Cranberry, Sour Mix, and Sprite

Does anyone know if Ginger Ale has caffeine? I'm kind of partial to Bacardi and Ginger Ale as a generic drink when they don't have Bombay Sapphire for my gin and tonics.

A Madras is pretty good, too. Vodka mixed with OJ and Cran, and doesn't look pink.

I think they're disgusting, but there's the Bama Slammer. Southern Comfort, Sloe Gin, Amaretto, and OJ. Blegh... but I just can't stand the taste of Sloe Gin.

Tequila Sunrise isn't bad, either, if you like grenadine. It's just tequila, OJ and grenadine, with a cherry.

If you don't mind blue drinks, I kind of like Electric Lemonades. Rum (or vodka), Blue Curacao, Sour Mix, and Sprite.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Another bartending tip:

When pouring a Guiness, try to do a 2 minute-pour. You fill it about 3/4 of the way, let it sit for 2 minutes and top it off.

For those who care, it will earn you major points.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.