FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bartending 101 (Now updated for the Leprechauns) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Bartending 101 (Now updated for the Leprechauns)
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Umm, who's Glynn? Is that Primals real name or something?
Yup. People here who know each other fairly well will often refer to each other by RL name.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't have any. I'll have to get some at the store in the morning. The pinapple juice that is.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Advent 115:
Umm, who's Glynn? Is that Primals real name or something?

Yes.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I get ya now. *nods like he knows whats going on* [Wink]
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You know, Glynn, it has been an awfully long time since we last psychoanalyzed you. [Smile]

Yeah, it's been, what, ten minutes or so? I think I'm due.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

Its not like I was trying to analyze you. I was just curious why you did it so often.
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I go out, I'm most likely to order a beer, because most beers are kosher. Yeah, really!
Have you heard of the Egyptian vodka that's supposedly kosher for Passover? I think it's made with rice--I wonder how different it tastes.

One of my good friends from my first year of college kept kosher and introduced me to the large spectrum of yummy kosher wines (and also, to my roommate's dismay, gifeltefish) [Smile] .

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Advent, it might also be a good idea when you're at bars with your friends to ask bartenders what their buyback policy is.

This might be something you'd want to do at a quiet time when their manager isn't around, and preferably with a bartender you've already been friendly with.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
Not pissing off the bartender 101:

Do not whine that you can't taste the liquor in your strawberry daiquiri.

Likewise, your Midori sour isn't going to get any stronger, either.

Do not ask me to mix high-end cognac with coke, nor with each other. Unless you somehow can scientifically prove that it takes a shot of Alize to really bring out the flavor of Courvosier.

If you ask me to make your Long Island "really good", you're getting 2 ounces of house gin in there. If you complain after trying it, I'll just pour the gin straight into your straw when you're not looking.

If it's your birthday, I'll probably buy you a shot. If it's your 21st birthday, I'll probably buy you a prarie fire or cement mixer. Nothing personal, it's just funny.

If you order something you've never tried and don't like it, I will not "trade it in" for something else. Bring it to the girl across the bar and make a new friend.

If you're a good tipper, any drinks made by mistake are yours free. If you're a bad tipper, I hope you're not thirsty.

Um, yeah. Long night at work. [Big Grin]

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I was out at SeaWorld, which is owned by Anheuser-Busch, last weekend. Just like Busch Gardens, they have a hospitality house where you can sample beers. I was pleased to find out they now have a pretty good stout (Bare Knuckle) and a Belgian ale (Spring Heat). Unfortunately, they're only available as draft, so I still must bypass their section in the stores.

I've heard some wine drinkers say that reislings are a good wine for people who have never had wine before because it's sweeter. They told me that as your taste buds mature, you'll learn to appreciate the drier wines. After several years, I'm still very immature apparently as reislings are still the only wines I enjoy. This is something I've come to terms with.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks, Frisco. I always tip well, having been on the other side [mostly waitressing] many many times.

Advent, I really appreciate the difference in your posting style and your thoughtful new restraint. It is a wonderful change, and keeping with it will make things better, I promise. (Things are still a little rough around the edges now, obviously, but this will pass. People kind of need to see that this isn't just another phase for you, and the way to gain trust is to stay reliable and authentic.)

Meanwhile, I'd love to hear what your textbook has about different reds. Thanks!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

And I have no idea what a "buyback policy" is, nor a "prairie fire" or "cement mixer." My 'tending experience was limited to a rather stodgy old country club. I'm also on the shady side of bright, so it takes me awhile to learn things.

----------

Ah. Google is your friend. Okay, now I get the "Prairie Fire" and "Cement Mixer" references, but "buyback policy" is still undefined in my noggin. It seems to be something shady one does with friends, and people on the Net seem to really appreciate a "liberal buyback policy." A lot.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Does anyone actually ask for a cement mixer? It sounds more like something you would dare someone to do.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think I would like it, actually. Curdling doesn't trouble me at all, and I drink straight lemon juice sometimes.

On the other hand, it does seem a bit of a waste of an Irish Cream. *doubtful

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
icy cold vodka (I store it in my freezer), with a drip of vermouth and a lemon twist

A HAIKU

icy cold vodka
with a drip of dry vermouth
finished with lemon

You can substitute "sweet" for "dry", if that's you preference [Smile]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

[Angst]
Maybe it's just because I'm not an Irish cream drinker.

When I went to my reunion recently, one of my best friends was there. She married very well and now lives in Hollywood Hills overlooking the Kodak Theater. Her husband bought several glasses of champagne for everyone at our table, but I didn't find out til the end of the night that he had been buying Dom Perignon. That was probably the only time I will ever drink that and I didn't even realize it. Good stuff, but I'm not sure my immature taste buds appreciate it enough to be worth the money it costs.

Slight derailment, but the story was alcohol related, so...

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Further derailment: I think the expression "married well" is pure foolishness. Rich != better.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I didn't say she married well just because he's rich. He's a very nice guy, treats her very well, loves their kids and is great to talk to. I should have made that more clear. The rich part just ties into the Dom.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Sara,

Buyback policy: In repsonse to good tipping, the bartender may be willing to purchase a drink for you.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
People generally mean "married rich" by "married well". Whether or not that's what you meant by it, I can't say. But I wasn't trying to insinuate that she married for money, it was just a general rant.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

I probably did mean it that way in context with the story, but she did marry well for all the right reasons too.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered high-end tequila. Man I never knew what I was missing. I really like the taste of tequila, but drinking it straight was harsh on my throat. I can drink Jose Cuervo Gold straight, but only as a shot, and it burns going down, so I usually drink that only in Margaritas or with OJ.

However, I just splurged on a bottle of Sauza Tres Generaciones Anejo. It is to lesser tequilas what fine silk is to burlap.

I like lots of wines, but rarely get to drink many of them. Chris only likes sweet wines, and I don't drink wine enough to justify opening a bottle of something he won't drink with me.

For the past few years, I've been exploring liqueurs. My all-time favorite is Liqueur de Frigolet, but it's only available in the European Union. (They won't ship to the US) [Grumble] Others that I like are Frangelico, Amaretto, and Limoncello. When we go to the liquor store, we usually grab a bottle of something we haven't tried before. Since Chris usually tastes it and goes "yuck" (unless it's some kind of schnapps), and since I don't drink very heavily, we've built up a pretty good collection. (I should have a liqueur party to clear the inventory [Wink] )

If you don't mind pink drinks, Chris and I just bought a bottle of stuff called "X-Rated". It's a blend of vodka and fruit liqueurs. The label had a recipe for an "X-Rated Foreplay", which was just mixing the X-Rated with Sprite (we used Sierra Mist) over ice. It was really good. Very refreshing and fruity. It's one of those dangerous drinks, though, (like a Long Island Ice Tea) in that it is much stronger than it tastes. Drink with caution. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally find sweet wines a little nauseating; I much prefer a nice dry red.

Startlingly dry red wine with high quality dark chocolate is amazing.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Noemon, does that nausea extend to ports? I love port wine. I feel both sophisticated and piratical at the same time.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've actually never had port. I'd like to try it (and in fact I think that somebody left an unopened bottle of port at Noemonicon, come to think of it).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, Riesling is a type of grape. Additionally, good german wines are rated by when and how the grapes are picked - later equals sweeter.

http://www.wineloverspage.com/trombley/praedikat.shtml

I am not a big wine drinker, but I am very fond of a good auslese.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I like port. I really like lambrusco, too, which is a sweetish red that is usually served chilled. It's really good with Italian food.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

The term "buyback" is sometimes something of a misnomer. It's basically the practice of giving free drinks to regular (or big spending) customers to encourage them to come back or buy more.

Some places have policies that their bartenders are not allowed to "buyback" any drinks - meaning, customers pay for every drop and nothing is on the house. Others have unofficial policies of "buying back" one out of every four or five drinks or so for regulars or big spenders. Most places have no official policy, and it's baretender-specific - often without management's knowledge.

As an example, I used to work bar at a local restaurant/pub on a Sunday shift from 2 pm to "whenever I felt like closing" (so said the owner, just as long as it wasn't after the 2 am cutoff by NJ law). When I first started, I took over for a guy who had a fairly steady clientele, and the day's sales were in the $600-$800 range, putting my average tip take at $130-170.

Now, I hadn't ever heard of a "buyback" and so was confused why more and more customers stopped coming in, to the point where sales dipped as low as $300-400 each Sunday. Finally, one of the regulars got up at the end of the night and said "Would it kill you to buyback a drink now and then?" and walked out, never to return.

I asked a bartender friend of mine this, and he explained the practice, and I started to adjust. I made a show of saying, "I got this one" on every fourth or so, especially with drinks poured from a bottle that didn't show up easily on inventory. (I knew the owner could pinch a penny until it screamed, and would not have been pleased by the practice.)

End result? In three weeks, Sunday sales were up over $1000, some days spiking as high as $1600 and I was having to turn on the spotlight and unplug the jukebox at 2 am to make people go home. I was routinely taking home $250-300 dollars a night, and the bar was getting busier and busier.

If the owner noticed we were going through kegs or well liquor faster than sales indicated, he never said anything. He was happy as a lark because profits were soaring.

I mean, a bottle of well liquor costs in the range of $10-15 for 40 ounces, and we sold mixed drinks for $4 each. So, that 40 ounces would make $160 dollars... more than a 1000% profit. What's cutting that to a 800% profit if sales on food and higher end liquor were way up?

But, I must stress, this is something you should talk to other bartenders about and get straight with coworkers as soon as you start working somewhere. Some places will fire you on the spot for the practice, and others encourage it.

Seems Frisco is not of the "buyback" persuasion from his post. [Smile]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Chris really likes Midori and Cranberry. It's his default drink when he can't think of something else he wants.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks for the explanations, Primal and FlyingCow.

I think getting "boughtback" would freak me out, and I'd just tip extra heavy to cover it.

I'll weigh in on liking dry reds and port as well. Port's more like a liquor to my taste buds -- kind of like a liquory version of a red wine. Sippy, definitely.

zgator
Member # 3833

I don't think I've ever been boughtback before. I don't go to bars often anymore and when I did, I don't think I ever had enough drinks at the bar to get that 4th or 5th one boughtback.

One thing I learned in very crowded clubs was to tip very well on the first drink and then return to that same bartender the rest of the night. Service seems better after that. This obviously does not mean stiff them on tips on the other drinks.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I get free drinks all the time. [Smile]

I tip really well, too.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I almost never get boughtback. But I'm an average tipper, so I guess that's no surprise.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I don't drink more than one or two drinks when I'm out, and that's usually with a dinner with my husband. I haven't the time for hanging out in bars, actually, and I haven't really had the inclination (except when on vacation, I suppose). Work has just been too all-consuming.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I can't imagine having enough drinks in one evening for backbuying to kick in either.
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Buyback addendum: In bars where buybacks are official 'unoffial' policy, the bartender will often leave an upended shot glass in front of the customer as a reminder to both the customer and the barkeep that the next one is 'on the house'.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
The bartenders at my "local" will "buy" about half my drinks. Of course, I am usually drinking plain cranberry juice!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
Back when I had a local, my friends and I got buybacks a lot. It also helped that one of my friends was the bartender's roommate. We'd probably get every third or fourth beer covered plus Timmy would regularly throw a round of shots our way. And anything non-alcoholic was free. I miss Timmy [Frown]

Then there was a club I went to where I had a friend who knew the owner. We reguraly got into the VIP section for free, had free shots and discounted bottles.

So in my experience, buybacks are all about networking...

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to drink 4 or 5 drinks a night for a buyback if you go to the same palce regularly. A friend and I go to the bar across the street from work almost every Friday during the fall - spring after work, and usually have one drink each plus some appetizers. Sometimes he has two, I never do. It's a sushi place, and the bar is usually pretty quiet at that time of day. A couple of weeks ago the bartender took our order, and then asked if we wanted to order more food because the drinks were on him that night. Now, we are good tippers, and like I said, we're there every week. And that week we tipped even better than normal. *shrug* Just wanted to tell those of you who say you never drink 4 or 5 when you're out that that's not the only way it happens. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

So what do you consider "good tipping"? (question open to all)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

For me, $3-6 -> $2 per drink, $7-10 -> $3 per drink. I don't drink much, though, so I apply the same rule as I do for food (i.e., order less means tip higher)
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Wow, yeah, that's good tipping.

The rule of thumb I use is based on how much time and effort a drink takes to make.

Opening a bottle of beer, I'll throw a buck every other. Pouring a pint get a buck each pint, more if it's a really well poured pint of Guinness. An easy mixed drink like rum and coke will also get a buck each.

Anything that involves a shaker is an easy two bucks tip, more if it's complicated or done very well. On Long Islands (that aren't premixed) or Blood Mary's (also not premixed) it's three bucks each. If they are simply pouring a premix, that's back to rum and coke level for me and a dollar.

Normally, in my experience, male bartenders walk out with between 20%-25% of their sales on average in tips, and female bartenders walk out with 25%-35% of their sales in tips. Less if you're working in a chain restaurant bar.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

Since Claudia asked me earlier:

My favorite style of Red Wine is Merlot. Last time I had it was at my sisters wedding 4 or 5 years ago. I like it because it has a great textue, low on the acidity, and it has a dry flavor to it.

Not that I've had any since then (no occations worthy of it).

"Merlot is a popular red wine due to its soft, lush, and easy to drink nature"

"If you are new to red wines Merlot is a great place to start"

But as far as the most interesting sounding I would have to say that is the Pinot Noir style.

""Pinot Noir is valued for its fruit flavor, often tasting of berries, and its velvety smooth feel in the mouth"

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
CT, that's generally how I tip, as well.

And I tip a dollar for soda.

And if I get something for free, I tip for that, too.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Normally, in my experience, male bartenders walk out with between 20%-25% of their sales on average in tips, and female bartenders walk out with 25%-35% of their sales in tips. Less if you're working in a chain restaurant bar.
This is, of course, reversed in your typical gay bar. [Wink]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
And I tip a dollar for soda.

And if I get something for free, I tip for that, too.

Of course! [Smile]

Advent, thanks. I like merlot as well. Have you seen the movie Sideways? One of the main characters waxes ecstatic about the pinot grape.

Advent 115
Member # 8914

No, but I think I might check it out now that it has your recomondation. [Smile]
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Peitie Syrah tends to be a very accessable red wine, in my experience, that I would recommend to anyone who wanted to "learn to like" red wines. Houge vineyards tends to have very nice ones, although I haven't tried to most recent year yet.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"In warmer weather, I've invented a more sophisticated drink -- icy cold vodka (I store it in my freezer), with a drip of vermouth and a lemon twist. I named my drink "The Haiku". But it is so simple, that I'm thinking it must have been invented and named before."

Nope, it is a martini with a twist.
But if you asked for it this way at a bar, it would be a Haiku:

Martini quite dry
Lemon yellow twist dropped in
Straight up, of course, please

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"One of the main characters waxes ecstatic about the pinot grape."

And what does he say about Merlot, CT?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.