FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for gay couples

Author Topic: Question for gay couples
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on addressing my wedding invitations. It is a formal wedding and the invitations are fairly formal. Paul has an Uncle that has a long term gay partner. I am wondering how you would prefer this to be written on the invitation. Would Mr. Rob X and Mr. John Y be appropriate? Would this be how you would want to be addressed? I can't think of how else to do it. I definetly don't want to use and guest but I don't want to unintentionally insult someone. I am not close with the Uncle so asking would be difficult and Paul's parents just said do whatever I wanted.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Miss Manners
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Rob X and Mr. John Y is the format we used for our wedding invitations, and nobody told us they were insulted.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
The Wedding Channel say to write them on seperate lines with no titles. I don't think I like that. Everyone on their list gets a title or honorific except the gay couple?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming this is an uncle Paul is in contact with, why not ask him what he prefers?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in a stationery store and the key is that they are not married so don't worry about writing Mr and Mr. Paul [same last name]

With single couples, straight or gay, the format is:
Mr. Paul X and Mr. John Y

On the inner envelope, if you are using them, you write:
Paul and John.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask! I should put that summer to good use.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go with my original inclination of Mr. John X and Mr. Tom Y. I would get Paul to ask for me but that could take eons. Wedding tasks are never very high on his priority list.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the format I used on graduation announcements, I think it may have been on seperate lines, but there was deffinatly an "and" between them.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
As half of one of Hatrack's resident gay couples, I think "Mr. John X and Mr. Tom Y" would be fine. Also, "John and Paul" on the inner envelope, if there is one. (As Kristen said, [Smile] ) Neither Chris, nor I would be insulted (unless you happened to send them to us, seeing as neither of us is named John or Tom, X or Y. [Wink] )
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mr. Karl and Chris Ed (I know Ed isn't your last name, but it works for the purpose)?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As half of one of Hatrack's resident gay couples, I think "Mr. John X and Mr. Tom Y" would be fine. Also, "John and Paul" on the inner envelope, if there is one.
Except then it would seem they are inviting a trio.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

and Paul is her fiance [Angst]
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
bryerchic, I feel like "Mr. Karl and Chris Ed" implies they're married by giving them the same last name...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh I do, that's just what I thought Karl said, and I was checking.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh I do, that's just what I thought Karl said, and I was checking.
But that's not what he said. He said
quote:
I think "Mr. John X and Mr. Tom Y" would be fine.
That's pretty clear.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

quote:
(unless you happened to send them to us, seeing as neither of us is named John or Tom, X or Y. )
I was going by this part, and was already not thinking, I know I was wrong now. I had left on spring break mentally.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.