FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormon Missionaries, Round Two. Fight! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Mormon Missionaries, Round Two. Fight!
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply, DaisyMae. I'm glad you got something from my post. [Smile]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh,
You articulated very well my feeling back five years ago when I investigated the LDS church for myself. I loved the people, loved many things about LDS, but it came down to whether or not I could believe in the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. I could not, so I walked away.

But you have helped me greatly now in better understanding why it is so difficult for others to believe in the Holy Bible if they were not raised with that belief. Like you, I never doubted the existance of God or the truthfulness of the inspired Word of God. Hopefully this will help me think through some of the things I say, and some of my own paradigms, when working with unbelievers.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
She struggled with this difficulty for a long time, at one point even crying and saying that she wanted to believe but she just couldn't make herself. It wasn't until some time later (after staying up late reading the Bible and praying) that she was finally able to get past this need for logical arguments and was able to believe on faith alone.
I have to admit that I find this deeply, deeply disturbing; the idea that it might be considered a positive outcome is more tragic than the outcome itself.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I was also a bit perplexed by the conclusions that were made. I talked a bit with pfresh yesterday about them and the conversation got me to thinking. There's an awful lot of things that people accept largely because they want to, not because there's a clear logical basis for it. I believe that people are essentially good, I believe that there's something worth loving in everybody, and I believe that redemption is always available. While there's some empirical support for these things, there's probably equal empirical support against them. But I certainly prefer to live as though they are true. I'm not sure how this differs from the Laura of the story.

Note: What I'm saying applies when logic does not negate the belief. I don't think it's remotely healthy to choose to believe in something that is demonstratably false. But I don't think that God is demonstratably false.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Amanecer.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe that people are essentially good, I believe that there's something worth loving in everybody, and I believe that redemption is always available. While there's some empirical support for these things, there's probably equal empirical support against them. But I certainly prefer to live as though they are true.
That's it, exactly, Amanecer. Sometimes I have great faith and know in my heart that things are true; but sometimes I just choose to live as if they are true because they make me happier and make my life better.

Pfresh, I understand where you're coming from. I grew up in a culture where the Book of Mormon was accepted as scripture, so when I wanted to find out for myself, I had no problem accepting that it could be. I didn't have to overcome my own prejudices against it, as it were. And ultimately what I learned from the Book of Mormon meshed with what I believed from the Bible and I recognized the voice of God in its pages.

There were other things I had to overcome, though, that I couldn't solve by logic. I have struggled sometimes to prove things, and I found that every time I would find the answer to one question, another question would pop up. There is no end to questions. And if every question makes me doubt my beliefs and lifestyle, I will never be at peace. Which is why, for some issues, I have to choose to live in faith while I'm looking for the answers. I know a lot of people say they can't "choose" to live in faith, but my experience with having to do so helps me understand that book you quoted.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still pray every night, asking God to give me guidance and show me the way I need to go to live the right kind of life. I also ask for forgiveness for the mistakes that I've made and the times that I have fallen off the path. I believe at some point that God will show me the right way, and I won't feel so uncertain about some of these things.
This in and of itself is "living on faith" and I really admire your patience and trust. [Smile] I know You'll be guided to do what's right for you, and at the right time. I'm glad you've shared your thoughts with us.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is if you asked me, I'd probably tell you how impatient I am. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.