FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Pi Day!

Author Topic: Happy Pi Day!
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Pi Day in the year 2015 will be even cooler, but just because it's not 2015 doesn't mean we can't celebrate by eating pie.

What'll it be? We have cherry, apple, banana cream, pumpkin, blueberry, lemon meringue, and chocolate mousse.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Soooo cooool!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
I want strawberry meringue pie!
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take one of each except blueberry.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Key Lime is my speciality.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I brought in a Wildflour Bakery's Mixed fruit pie.
-drool-
It was fantastic.
Nice firm, flaky crust; filling not too sweet, not too sour; the fruit cooked just right, neither squsihy nor hard; big, crunchy sugar crystals on the top; the ratio of crust to filling perfectly balanaced..
And all this can be yours for just one easy payment of $11. Call now! Supplies are limited!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm. Is anyone on Hatrack a member of the Pi 100 club? I had a roommate in college who was. She had also scored 1600 on her SAT and built her own telescope, including making the mirror. She was a seriously cool roommate.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I memorized about 70 digits for no particular reason ( well actually it was a dare, and I thought it'd be a good way to impress people) but I never bothered to learn more than that, I didn't realize there was a club involved...

*goes off to memorize*

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple and chocolate mousse, please!

I only ever memorized Pi to 10, because I couldn't think of a reason to go farther.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know there was a club, either. I memorized it to 60 digits (it was on the wall in my 5th grade classroom, and it was either that or pay attention in class), and to celebrate pi day, my brother calls me from a speakerphone in his classroom (he's a math teacher) and has me recite it to his students.

My sister is a science teacher. I guess it's a good thing I didn't memorize the periodic table.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
From memory: 3.1414926 535 8979 323 846 264 33832 79502

Hmm... cherry? French Silk? Both sound good... I think I'll go with cherry. Been having too much chocolate lately. [Smile]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. Now Porter wants me to make a pie. [Grumble]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 

And you probably just typoed, but the fourth number after the decimal point is a 5, not a 4.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I never said you need to make a pie.

I just said we need to eat some pie.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

But you still want me to make a pie. [Razz]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Pies need to be made before they can be eaten.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

But she doesn't have to be the one to make it. They could go to the store and buy one . . . premade!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want pie.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Yeah, but they are so dang expensive. If he insists on a pie, I am far more likely to just make one. 'Cause Porter sure ain't gonna make a pie! [Wink]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where I can get a pie today...

*wanders off thinking about pies and missing the apple-pie-with-cheddar-cheese goodness available back home*

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Pi Day!

I almost bought that for my math teacher.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm celebrating with tiny triangular pies.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

[Big Grin]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I know 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944...

I also wore my pi shirt.

[edit: I didn't realize that Tinros already linked the female version of this shirt.]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm.....pie. Apple is my favorite. *Goes off to find a piece of pie*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Pi Day to all. I'm going to go celebrate with a piece of toast ('cause that's all I have) but I'll cut it into little triangles to see if that makes it any better.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
check out http://mit.edu you pi day nerds.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I want rhubarb pie! But we're having pot pie for dinner tonight.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Mmm, rhubarb pie.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Apple pie with lunch. [Smile] What I'm really craving, though, is pumpkin.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Pi Day! I want some Sweet Potato Pie, but in a graham cracker crust.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And you probably just typoed, but the fourth number after the decimal point is a 5, not a 4.
I did indeed typo. I also typoed on a different number when I made a post about pi day on my LiveJournal. I'm rather tired today, so I blame it on that.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're interested, here's a nifty pi song.
Because I fail at computers and can't get the exact location, it's the first link in the seventh paragraph.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemon Merang--mereng..lemon pie with stuff on top.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Meringue? (Of course, what's really good is lemon cream...)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I am finally eating pie. Blueberry, with a small scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
The most mesmerizing ytmnd ever.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

That pi song is absolutely incredible!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

But. But. Pi are squared.

(forgive me?)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I didn't have any pie today. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

But. But. Pi are squared.

(forgive me?)

Forgive you? I've been waiting for HOURS for someone to say that! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
The most mesmerizing ytmnd ever.

It cheats! It doesn't sing/read all the digits on the screen. Not even close.

And look what I found poking around . . . *giggle*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip. I made (strongly persuaded) hubby to go out to Village Inn and get us pie. I mean, pi.

Triple berry with vanilla ice cream. Mmmm.

I love my husband.... [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
We had about ten different types of pie in the math department lounge today. [Smile]

math jokes!

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Pi Day...but it's tradition at our school that the seniors ONLY celebrate it. I celebrated in my own way, though.

From memory, I know 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26. My handy little (original!) mnemonic for memorizing that far is:

How a nerd, I think, estimates pi unduly after the first fourteen limitless decimal positions. And, my, the decimals keep coming in swarms.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Can you explain the association?
Tinros
Member # 8328

I think the number of letters is the number that comes next. How=3, a=1, nerd=4, etc.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I find it far easier to remember it just based on the rhythm when spoken. Or something. It would be harder for me to memorize that mnemonic than to just memorize the digits.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.