FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Casting the Greek Gods and Goddesses. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Casting the Greek Gods and Goddesses.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been reading Olympus by Dan Simmons, and so the Greek pantheon is on my mind at times. I've always been interested in Greek Mythology. I was talking to Niki about who which actresses and actors would play them if we were making a movie starring them. We were having good time talking about it, and decided it might be a fun hatrack thread.

Artemis: She was the virgin moon goddess of the hunt, wild animals, healing, wilderness, chastity, and childbirth.
Who I would cast: Anne Hathaway. She's beautiful, and athletic looking, and I think she would look very impressive looking dressed as a huntress.

Athena: The goddess of wisdom, the practical arts, and warfare, and the protectress of cities, especially Athens.
Who I would cast: Natalie Portman. She's beautiful, and is very intelligent. You'd have to give her a wig right now, of course [Smile] .

Hera: The goddess of women, marriage, and childbirth; the wife and sister of Zeus.
Who I would cast: Angelina Jolie. I don't think any pantheon cast list would be complete without casting her as someone. I think Hera fits her well, since the rest of the godesses I've cast are pretty young, so Hera should be a little more mature looking and she could easily pull off being Zeus' wife.

Aphrodite: The goddess of love, beauty and sexual rapture.
Who I would cast: This one is probably my hardest one to cast. Like casting Helen of Troy, you really need someone more beautiful than any actress out there. Plus she's usually shown as being blond, and there aren't any young beautiful blonds actresses that come to my mind right now. The best I could do is Jessica Alba. Her acting ability is in serious doubt, but she's got a look that might be able to pull it off. I'm open to suggestings on this one, since I think its probably my weakest pick. (Oh and if you do a google image search on her name, there's a pic on the lower right of the first result page that would give you a better idea. Its a bit too risque to post a link to on hatrack though.)

This is taking too long, so I will be brief with the gods.

Apollo: the Sun God, patron god of musicians and poets.
Who I would cast: Perhaps Brad Pitt ?

Hades: lord of the dead and ruler of the nether world .
Who I would cast: Christain Bale.

Dionysus: The god of wine.
Who I would cast: Ed Norton.

Still to be cast: Zues, Poseidon, Hephestus, Hermes, Ares, Demeter.

So tell me you guys' picks.

[ March 18, 2006, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you picked pretty well.

What about mortals though? I don't beleive there were many myths or stories about the gods that didn't have a mortal in it. If I remember correctly, the cup bearer was a mortal.

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
What a neat idea. I don't agree with the Dionysus or Aphrodite picks, though. Hmm.

Demeter could be Susan Sarandon maybe?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely disagree with the Aphrodite pick.

I also don't like your Athena pick.

I'm not a fan of Angelina Jolie, but I think that's a good pick for Hera.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Let me help you out with that Christian Bale photo. The mug shot you have of him does Ares no justice.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Uma Thurman for Aphrodite? She's not as young as the rest, but I think she fits it well. She could also be Hera.

I think Michael Caine would make a smashing Zeus. Just enough of a scoundrel to make it believable.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I was thinking Uma Thurman too. That's the body type for an Aphrodite.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
El JT, I was just looking for a good UT picture.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Aphrodite: Catherine Zeta Jones

Athena: Kate Blanchette

Hephestus: Brenden Gleeson http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322407/

Ares: Michael Clarke Duncan. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003817/

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about Uma Thurman for Aphrodite?
Baron Munchousen, anyone? [Wink]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Christian Bale as Apollo. He practically played the character between American Psycho and Shaft. Young, perfect, and with a slight disdain for humanity. Leonard DeCaprio would work, also.

Zeus - Al Pacino, Michael Douglas, George Clooney

Hera - Emma Thompson, Julieanne Moore, Susan Sarandon. Have to tell you, Hilary Clinton would be perfect. If we must, then Catharine Zeta Jones. Mary McDonnell. Now that I think about it, Hera may have been the first Desperate Housewife. What about the woman who plays Bree? Meryl Steep.

I agree with Kate Blanchett as Athena, or Gabrielle Union, or Bridget Moynihan.

Dionysus - Jake Gyllenhaal, Joaquin Pheonix

Ares - Vin Deisel, Jayne from Firefly, DMX.

Hephestus - Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, or William H. Macy.

Aphrodite - Scarlett Johanson, Charlize Theoron, though there is something about her where she could play any of the Goddess depending on how she is styled, not that she is pretty or talented, I find her middling in both respects, but there is something dangerous about her. Almost deinon

Hermes - Ed Norton, Will Smith, Johnny Depp

Artemis - Wynona Ryder. Btw, I know that Artemis is the protector of children, but I think, I'm not positive, that there is a different Goddess of child birth. I say this because there is a myth where Hera doesn't want one of Zeus' mistress's children born and so doesn't allow the Goddess of Childbirth to visit the woman. Keira Knightley.

Prometheus - And can't think of anyone for the father of Man, forethought, self-sacrificing, tortured, criminal, compassionate. Ed Harris?Andre Braugher?

IO - Anne Hathaway

Medea - Angelina Jolie

Agamemnon - Troy did a fine job
Achilles - Troy did a fine job

Hugh Jackman as Perseus.
Nathan Fillion as Sysiphus. (Shame shame Nate for lying about your birth date, there is no way that guy is 33.)

How did I get so far without listing Christopher Walken. Posiedon.

[ March 18, 2006, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
quote:
How about Uma Thurman for Aphrodite?
Baron Munchousen, anyone? [Wink]
I was just thinking the same thing, bev.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hephaestus: John C. Reilly

Zeus: Ian McKellen or Morgan Freeman

Hades: Gabriel Byrne

Ares: Lawrence Fishburne

Hermes:
Orlando Bloom

Perseus/Theseus: Guy Pearce

Artemis: KeiraKnightley

That's all I got for now.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Gabriel Bryne is an inspired choice.

The problem with Orlando Bloom as Hermes, while he is pretty enough, there is no mischeiveousness about him. Marky Mark would be a better choice, or maybe Matt Damon, or Nick Cannon, or the youngest Wayans.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
We used to spend hours (or at least minutes) casing the Iliad when I was team-teaching Greek Mythology at Penn State. It's something of a relief to know that Classical History types aren't the only nerds who do this.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Put up or shut up, Dante, what do you have?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't agree with any of the Zeuses given so far. I don't think anyone picked so far has quite as powerful or as dangerous as Zeus is. There's also something predatorially sexual about him, and I think everyone picked so far is not quite that predator-like. They're all fatherly people, but I think there has to be another aspect that they don't have.

I'm thinking that if Patrick Stewart was maybe a few inches taller (according to imdb he's 5'10" and I think Zeus is at least 6') and was finally not playing a good guy, he could pull it off remarkably well. Maybe if he stood on a box or something. EDIT #2: I'm also worried about the depth of his voice, but I think he could handle it.

Nobody mentioned Demeter yet. She should be someone earthy. My best suggestion is Miranda Otto.

And Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio as Apollo? I see the whole sun god thing, but there's nothing poetic and musical about them. I think the person must not only be blonde, distainful and beautiful but also have something about them that embodies the whole musical side of Apollo. Jude Law is another blonde candidate. I don't think it's perfect, but I think he's closer to maybe, maybe having a little more poetry and prophecy to him.

I agree in general with Irami's list for Hermes, but I would add Matt Damon. EDIT: Oh, too slow. Irami and I obviously have the same ideas about Hermes.

[ March 18, 2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you could use Ian Mckinnen aka Gandalf as Zeus, he played a Nazi very very well or so I've heard.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

I did too suggest for Demeter! Susan Sarandon.

Keira Knightly could be Aphrodite, too, I hadn't thought of her.

Teshi
Member # 5024

But Blayne, Ian McKellan is so skinny! I've no doubt that he could play the role vocally and acting-wise. But he's physically not the right body type at all: Zeus is notorious for his sleeping habits, shall we say... There is a sexual element to Zeus that cannot be denied and I don't think Ian McKellan has the correct vibe. Besides that, all statues and busts depict him as a large, muscular man. Ian McKellan is just not physically all that impressive. He's... skinny.

Zeus is not skinny.

EDIT: Sorry Theaca! I agree about Susan Sarandon, although I still prefer Miranda Otto.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Pick me! Pick me!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
Keira Knightly could be Aphrodite, too, I hadn't thought of her.
Keira Knightly is too stringy for Aphrodite. We need woman. How about Heather Graham.
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Put up or shut up, Dante, what do you have?
I was never very good at this game because I'm not much of a movie fan and consequently don't know a lot of actors and actresses. That said, I remember we decided that Liam Neeson would be a really good Hector--tall, distinguished, noble, a little older but still believable as a great warrior.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I could see Sean Connery as Zeus. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
THAT! I can agree with.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Bev, I did also consider Sean Connery. So I can go with that also.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Phil and I thought of him. We think at his current age of what...102? he's a little old, perhaps 30 years ago?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
Phil and I thought of him. We think at his current age of what...102? he's a little old, perhaps 30 years ago?

Zeus is what, 5,000?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Williams as Pan. (with the makeup, his age wouldn't show.)

Must agree, Depp as Herme's (face it, that guy could play anyone.).

forgive me, but the guy who played Legolas (brain freeze) as Cupid from Cupid/Psyche myth.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Okay, some other picks:

Aphrodite: Monica Belucci

Artemis: Jennifer Garner, though I really like Keira Knightley, too.

Hera: Annette Benning or Sharon Stone

Dionysus: Eddie Izzard, without a doubt.

Persephone: Rachel Weisz

Hermes: James Marsters

Theseus/Perseus: Hugh Jackman

Hades (Second choice): Christopher Walken

Poseidon: Chuck Norris

Ares: Jack Bauer, who else?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

I seriously don't think Jack Bauer would give up his guns for a sword, let alone act any as any god lower than Zeus.

I can't see Chuck as Poseidon, he doesn't look like he'd spend his life in the sea. Besides, isn't he already the god of round-house kicks?

I think James Marsters is a little too intimidating to be Hermes. Maybe its just that photo.

What the heck is wrong with Eddie Izzard? A guy shouldn't be in a kimono.

Monica Belucci would have to have blonde hair.

Chuck and Jack in the same cast? I can see bullets flying at Troy.

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What the heck is wrong with Eddie Izzard? A guy shouldn't be in a kimono.
Oh, you must not know the legend of Eddie Izzard. He is the most amazing English transvestite comedian you will ever see. He's hilarious, and I love him. And I think I could see him as Dionysus, but I'll have to give it some thought.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
On a side note, I wrote a story about what the Greek Gods are doing these days. Apollo has taken on a new name, one the brings up the same dread and fear and hope that his name did in the classical days. Today its HMO. He's also head of the music industry.

Pan was behind Napster. The two don't get along.

Athena is head of a lawfirm.

The Fates have given up weaving and gone into actuary.

Demeter is bloated on preservatives and Dionysius has gotten all pretentious with his move to "the Valley".

And, to give the gist of the story, Zues is able to take control of Promethius's corporate holdings by, well as the tech guy says, "It's like lightening was dancing accross your hard drives." Zues, the posterchild for deadbeat dad's and nepotistic dictator's ends up being the master of modern data protection.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
On a side note, I wrote a story about what the Greek Gods are doing these days. Apollo has taken on a new name, one the brings up the same dread and fear and hope that his name did in the classical days. Today its HMO. He's also head of the music industry.

Pan was behind Napster. The two don't get along.

Athena is head of a lawfirm.

The Fates have given up weaving and gone into actuary.

Demeter is bloated on preservatives and Dionysius has gotten all pretentious with his move to "the Valley".

And, to give the gist of the story, Zues is able to take control of Promethius's corporate holdings by, well as the tech guy says, "It's like lightening was dancing accross your hard drives." Zues, the posterchild for deadbeat dad's and nepotistic dictator's ends up being the master of modern data protection.

[Roll Eyes] How the mighty have fallen...
beverly
Member # 6246

I could see Sharon Stone as Hera....

James Marsters has *got* to be a god of some sort. I guess Hermes works, though it adds a whole 'nother side of Hermes for me. [Smile] I could see him as a fascinating Hades as well.

Yeah, definitely not Hermes. Hermes is supposed to be smarmy, light, playful. James Marsters is *dark*.

Sam Rockwell would make a decent Hermes. Or even Elijah Woods.

Oh, and I vote Russell Crowe as Ares. Definitely.

Keanu Reeves gets my vote as Eros.

I like Xavier's picks for Artemis (Anne Hathaway) and Apollo (Brad Pitt.)

Oooo! And Gina Torres makes a great Athena. [Big Grin]

[ March 19, 2006, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, won't anyone pick me?

anyone?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I nominate Tante for the role of Hygeia.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Valentine014:
I nominate Tante for the role of Hygeia.

I accept! Chicken soup and ambrosia all around!
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

See, I never pictured Hermes as light and playful - I always saw him as the "not evil" side of Loki. Trickster, traveler, theif. He was also Anubis-ish, as he guided souls to Hades.

Now, in the Norse pantheon, I'd definitely have Ian McKellen as Odin and James Marsters as Loki, with Tyler Mane as Thor.

Hmm... Tyler Mane could make a decent Greek god, too, but I don't know which.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I can totally see Eddie Izzard as Dionysus. Perfect.

And Jeesh, you're missing out if you haven't seen any of Eddie Izzard's stand up work. It's fantastic and absolutely hysterical.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
Hephaestus?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Jeremy Irons for Zeus or Poseidon?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by beverly:
quote:
Hephaestus?
Does he limp?
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Dr. House!
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
Perseus/Theseus: Guy Pearce

Psh. He is but a mediocre substitute for the real thing. The Diet Coke of Pearce.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Clive Owen and Ioan Gruffudd (on the left) should both be in consideration for something. They were awesome in King Arthur.
beverly
Member # 6246

Alan Rickman has got to be cast as well. No clue as to who, though.
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I really only have two casting choices as I am not all that familar with Greek Mythology.

Harrison Ford as Zeus (replacing the now ancient Sean Connery)

Alan Rickman as Hades (Can we say Snape anyone? He has already got that Lord of the Underworld feeling to him!)

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Morgan Freeman as Zeus?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.